The Student Room Group

Will I get kicked out of university?

I passed 90 credits, and have failed 2 units, totaling 30 credits last year, I'm due to get my resit results soon, but the resit period was messed up with the same mitigating circumstances I have had all year. (I don't want to go into the actual issues, only that they are now resolved as of the start of this month and my university has been aware throughout/have accepted the issues have impacted my performance).

In the passed modules I have between 55-80%, with most of them being over 60%. My attendance is pretty good on the whole, given the issues I have had this year, but with a few classes missed in each failed unit, plus those I passed.

My academic adviser, the undergraduate support staff and the course leader have all been very supportive, offering me a gap year and advice throughout the year. On top of this they have all accepted that these issues have had an overwhelmingly certain impact on my performance.

I'm just wondering, should I fail both units again what the process would be from there? I have AABB at a level and 4A*'s/8A's and 2C's at GCSE and a long CV/good references from my college tutors, but I'm really happy at the uni I am at now, and my course, and don't want to be reapplying elsewhere.

Does anyone know/have any advice on what to do next? Obviously i'm waiting for my resit results and am trying to be as positive as possible but I've got to be realistic...and have probably failed again.

I have 90 credits out of 120 (I can carry up to 20 credits forward next year), but need atleast 100 units to progress, as far as I can make out from my handbook.
The 90 credits are from the core modules and one free choice, with two free choice modules being the failed ones.

Does anyone know if it's likely I could do 20 credits extra in my second year, and the missing 10 in my third year OR if I could do 30 extra in my second year?
Is it possible I will be allowed to progress carrying forward 20 credits and the other 10 compensated by my mitigating circumstances? :frown:
Do they generally kick students out if they have tried?
Can you transfer at this time of year to another university, not one in clearing, to re-start from year 1?
Do you think it's likely i'll get kicked off my course/out of university?
What would you do in this situation?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I know that most people will tell me to contact my university but they wont advise me until I get my results, sometime at the end of this week/early next week I assume.
Reply 2
The rules about progressing with missing credit etc should be in the uni's academic regulations which are likely on their website.
They'll probably do what they can for you within those rules.
Original post by Joinedup
The rules about progressing with missing credit etc should be in the uni's academic regulations which are likely on their website.
They'll probably do what they can for you within those rules.

I've searched and searched, nothing says you cannot progress, or what the regulations are in a situation such as mine.

It it says is with regards to progression is that you need 40% in every module giving 120 credits to progress as normal.

100 or 110 credits to progress on the ordinary degree, taking extra credits in your second year to move back to honours.

Beyond that mitigating circumstances guidance doesn't say what the result of the application gives/entails with moving forward.

This is an absolute nightmare!
Does anyone else have experience of this or any advice?
They won't usually kick you out. The next step is asking you to repeat your first year. However, you cannot usually repeat modules that you have passed, so you will only be doing 30 credits worth of modules all year. This presents problems, in that you will be classed as a part time student, and not entitled to full student finance. Therefore, in order to support yourself, you will have to get a job, or find some money from another source (e.g. savings) to live on while you repeat. It is doable. I know a guy who has done it, and progressed onto his second year, and is now doing well, but it's not the easiest thing in the world.

They may let you progress to your second year. However, I doubt they will do this unless they believe you are capable of getting enough credits to get an honours degree at the end of it. 30 credits is a lot to make up, mine only lets you make up 10, as you have to bear in mind, second year already represents a step up from third year.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
They won't usually kick you out. The next step is asking you to repeat your first year. However, you cannot usually repeat modules that you have passed, so you will only be doing 30 credits worth of modules all year. This presents problems, in that you will be classed as a part time student, and not entitled to full student finance. Therefore, in order to support yourself, you will have to get a job, or find some money from another source (e.g. savings) to live on while you repeat. It is doable. I know a guy who has done it, and progressed onto his second year, and is now doing well, but it's not the easiest thing in the world.

They may let you progress to your second year. However, I doubt they will do this unless they believe you are capable of getting enough credits to get an honours degree at the end of it. 30 credits is a lot to make up, mine only lets you make up 10, as you have to bear in mind, second year already represents a step up from third year.

See i'd happily do the Manchester Leadership module which is 20 credits and online based/volunteering
And then a 10 credit module, which I don't think would be too much extra work.
My split is 50/70 at the moment, so I could do 10 credits in the first semester and then the MLP in the second.
I doubt they'll let this happen though :/
Original post by super.teve
See i'd happily do the Manchester Leadership module which is 20 credits and online based/volunteering
And then a 10 credit module, which I don't think would be too much extra work.
My split is 50/70 at the moment, so I could do 10 credits in the first semester and then the MLP in the second.
I doubt they'll let this happen though :/

Well then IF you have failed, perhaps you could suggest this to them. However, I think a volunteering module could take up a lot of time. The problem is, if you struggled last year for whatever reason, it's going to be hard to convince them you can do all that and extra. I would try to take them some kind of plan of action- even designed like a revision timetable- to show how you would manage your time, and how you think you would cope.

They will try and help you though, they genuinely don't want you to drop out/fail, so it might work.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Well then IF you have failed, perhaps you could suggest this to them. However, I think a volunteering module could take up a lot of time. The problem is, if you struggled last year for whatever reason, it's going to be hard to convince them you can do all that and extra. I would try to take them some kind of plan of action- even designed like a revision timetable- to show how you would manage your time, and how you think you would cope.

They will try and help you though, they genuinely don't want you to drop out/fail, so it might work.

Yeh I mean, it wasn't so much of a struggle with the uni work, it was more of a struggle getting the mindset/focus/time to do uni work with the massive amount of things that kept happening.
It's all relativity sorted now and I wouldn't mind working harder/way over the top, to prove to them I can do it.

I think the volunteering module requires 45 hours of volunteering, where I worked before university I was doing an average of 60 hours per week, so I'd easily do that within no time - especially given you have up until July (I think) to do it.

That's an ideal world though, obviously they have rules/regulations to follow...which they wont tell me until I get my results, ah!
Thanks!
Yeh I mean, it wasn't so much of a struggle with the uni work, it was more of a struggle getting the mindset/focus/time to do uni work with the massive amount of things that kept happening.
It's all relativity sorted now and I wouldn't mind working harder/way over the top, to prove to them I can do it.

I think the volunteering module requires 45 hours of volunteering, where I worked before university I was doing an average of 60 hours per week, so I'd easily do that within no time - especially given you have up until July (I think) to do it.

That's an ideal world though, obviously they have rules/regulations to follow...which they wont tell me until I get my results, ah!
Thanks!

It's so dependent on individual circumstances, I think. If you're interested I've known two people in similar situations to you (at different unis).

One wasn't allowed to sit 20 credits extra in his second year, even though he was intellectually capable, because he failed through lack of work (although he did have some personal/emotional stuff going on too) and they weren't prepared to give him that chance. He was also doing Law LLB, which is a relatively demanding degree. So he had to resit a whole year doing just one module. He lived pretty close to the uni, though, so he got a job, and managed to pass it all.

The other was allowed to resit two modules in his third year (I don't know how many credits in total) because he struggled with his second term due to dislocating his knee (It was an old injury, so not quite that simple) and he was allowed to progress, because they felt he could cope with the increased workload- which he did, but I think his grades would have been better if he hadn't had to resit the modules.
Reply 10
I'm in the exact same situation! Had some personal issues throughout the year, and I need 100 credits to progress. Unfortunately, I didn't pass the module I had to (it was 20 credits) and the academic staff at my department are not very supportive. I've been told to withdraw, but like you, I really enjoy my uni and course. I just had some problems focusing on uni work when these things happened. I'm going to appeal but don't know how that will turn out.

My ideal situation would be like the one you mentioned, to take the failed module alongside my second year but don't know the university feels about that...:frown:
look for your uni's academic regulations

dont listen to university advisors,look at regulations
Reply 12
Didn't know Manchester were so strict..I'm starting next week. Bit worried now, I've taken a couple of tough modules.
Was it migraines?
Original post by + polarity -
Was it migraines?

No a death in the family, and then my nan fell ill with most of the rest of my family living in the states and the others working all the time, I had to regularly go back and look after her and make sure everything was okay. Then I lost my job at the university because I was accused of doing something within halls that I didn't, was given a final warning from the halls and lost my income - it was all resolved after loads of meetings but I was forced to go to around six meetings, meaning I missed six classes. Then in December my nan fell reallyt ill, hospital and everything. Went back to uni and someone tried to mug me with a knife which was horrible.
That's just a few of the issues.
It all just made me stressed and yeh, I had tension headaches all year. I should have handled everything better, but I did well in the other modules so, idk.
No idea how i've attracted so much crap this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JamesYoung
Didn't know Manchester were so strict..I'm starting next week. Bit worried now, I've taken a couple of tough modules.

I'm doing Politics and IR and the Social Sciences staff are all nice, polite and will go the extra mile to help you.
Though, like any university, you need to meet requirements to progress, ah
Original post by zayna
I'm in the exact same situation! Had some personal issues throughout the year, and I need 100 credits to progress. Unfortunately, I didn't pass the module I had to (it was 20 credits) and the academic staff at my department are not very supportive. I've been told to withdraw, but like you, I really enjoy my uni and course. I just had some problems focusing on uni work when these things happened. I'm going to appeal but don't know how that will turn out.

My ideal situation would be like the one you mentioned, to take the failed module alongside my second year but don't know the university feels about that...:frown:

I hope it works out for you. I've been told I can either get:

Two passes and progress as normal

One pass and one 30-39% fail and progress as normal

Two 30-39%fails and I should be above to progress as normal

One fail and one pass, taking an extra 10 or 20 credits next year to regain hons

It's just, what do two fails mean? ah!
Reply 17
I'm doing Politics and IR and the Social Sciences staff are all nice, polite and will go the extra mile to help you.
Though, like any university, you need to meet requirements to progress, ah

Ah, the one's I'm worried about are ECON10061 and ECON10062. Basically, I'm doing Modern History with Economics and it's highly recommended that you take these two courses as 'free choices' as they give you more options for 2nd year options.

ECON10061 - Introductory Maths
ECON10062 - Introductory Stats

The thing is, these are optional...I just don't want to fail them and get kicked out unnecessarily.

Do you find the Economics department really good/helpful?

I'm having Dr. Ozanne I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JamesYoung
Ah, the one's I'm worried about are ECON10061 and ECON10062. Basically, I'm doing Modern History with Economics and it's highly recommended that you take these two courses as 'free choices' as they give you more options for 2nd year options.

ECON10061 - Introductory Maths
ECON10062 - Introductory Stats

The thing is, these are optional...I just don't want to fail them and get kicked out unnecessarily.

Do you find the Economics department really good/helpful?

I'm having Dr. Ozanne I think.

I did Microeconomics and Marcoecnomics. The lectures were 2 hours long and boring, and the classes were even worse.
But that's because I didn't like economics, so ah.

I knew lots of people doing econ though, they liked it?
Reply 19
I did Microeconomics and Marcoecnomics. The lectures were 2 hours long and boring, and the classes were even worse.
But that's because I didn't like economics, so ah.

I knew lots of people doing econ though, they liked it?

Hmm, I did it A-level so I liked it, but I'm of the understanding that's it's a fair bit different at degree level.

Did you find lecturers helpful? Did they 'go the extra mile'? Seeing as they're under 'Social Sciences' as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending