Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Tips on getting a place at gloucestershire uni?

Announcements Posted on
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for uni for 2013 entry soon, with glos as my preferred uni. I'm planning on studying tv production. Any personal statement/interview tips to get in?

Any other info appreciated.

Oh and before you ask, I don't have any relevant experience related to the course. I'm adding skills I've learnt from volunteering or employment etc however, and saying what/why it interests me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live in Glos. A tip; rent a place in Cheltenham and bus it to and from the Glos uni. Cheltenham is bigger, more mature/older teens, and Cheltenham town nights out are far much more better than Gloucester!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajaffer)
    I live in Glos. A tip; rent a place in Cheltenham and bus it to and from the Glos uni. Cheltenham is bigger, more mature/older teens, and Cheltenham town nights out are far much more better than Gloucester!
    The campus is based in Cheltenham anyway

• 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Weirdest thread I've ever read.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    - Have ample ucas points (ie. BBB predicted at A2, beg your teachers to up your predicted grades if you can) and exceed the minimum tariff requirement by a good 30+ margin to make sure you're not borderline.
    - Come across as enthusiastic on the interview, ask yourself the questions "why do you want to do this course/what would you get out of doing it" etc, and come up with a polished general answer that you could dish out, it doesn't have to be too long just convey what you're about but don't memorize anything, keep it spontaneous.
    - Write A LOT about your volunteering and employment in your personal statement, what makes you special and deserving of a place, and write about everything you've ever achieved because these are things that other people will not write about - write a basic draft with everything you think is relevant, and then over the next few weeks cut it down and refine it so it is at the maximum word limit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but I live in Gloucester and I have no idea why people choose to go to university here - Gloucester is a real dump! There's nothing here. Cheltenham is a better, but it's still not great.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokzia)
    No offence, but I live in Gloucester and I have no idea why people choose to go to university here - Gloucester is a real dump! There's nothing here. Cheltenham is a better, but it's still not great.
    It's about the uni, not the area though. Glos, in my opinion, does the best course for what I want to do. Cheltenham looks lovely, too.

• 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    The idea that you need a 'tactic' to get into Gloucestershire is a little strange. Usually by Clearing they are pleading for ANYONE to accept a place.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolscap)
    - Have ample ucas points (ie. BBB predicted at A2, beg your teachers to up your predicted grades if you can) and exceed the minimum tariff requirement by a good 30+ margin to make sure you're not borderline.
    - Come across as enthusiastic on the interview, ask yourself the questions "why do you want to do this course/what would you get out of doing it" etc, and come up with a polished general answer that you could dish out, it doesn't have to be too long just convey what you're about but don't memorize anything, keep it spontaneous.
    - Write A LOT about your volunteering and employment in your personal statement, what makes you special and deserving of a place, and write about everything you've ever achieved because these are things that other people will not write about - write a basic draft with everything you think is relevant, and then over the next few weeks cut it down and refine it so it is at the maximum word limit.
    Wow thank you so much for the tips. I'm not good at interviews so your advice will hopefully point me in the right direction

• 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokzia)
    Glos for uni or born&raised in Glos?

+ OP did say the campus is in Cheltenham ;p
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    The idea that you need a 'tactic' to get into Gloucestershire is a little strange. Usually by Clearing they are pleading for ANYONE to accept a place.
    I just really want to go there so want to do anything I can to get in

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.