The Student Room Group

Absolutely terrified about uni

On Saturday I'm moving into halls at the university of Sheffield and I am absolutely **** scared. I've never been away from home for more than 2 weeks an that was bad enough, and as sad as it sounds I'm really close to my mum and really don't think I'll cope without her. In all my life I've never really made proper friends at school, and when I went to 6th form I didn't know one person and didn't push myself forward so for 2 years I barely talked to anyone.

I got a weekend job last November though and I have changed so much since I started it. I don't get as nervous when talking to people and have no problem starting a conversation, whereas before I would just put my head down and be all shy. The problem is that I'm terrified that I'm going to be meeting all these strangers and I'm going to have to push myself, I can't wait for them to come to me. When I think about freshers I feel quite excited, it's just te thought of moving in day that scares me. And I know for a fact I'll be crying my eyes out when my mum leaves me to go home, and she'll be crying as well which will just make me worse!

I've been talking to some of my flat mates on Facebook so at least it won't be as scary when we do meet each other. I know everyone is in the same situation but looking at my history, my chances of making friends immediately aren't good! :frown: so please give me some advice!

Just read this back and I sound like a right saddo, I'm not really :smile: I should mention that I only live in the next town on from Sheffield, it's about 20 minutes away so my situation could be much worse! At least I can go home whenever I want

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
A lot of people are in the same position as you. I thought that I wouldn't miss home at all but as soon as my mum left I was in tears! I struggled a bit for the first few weeks because my family lives 4 hours away, but you are not moving far away at all so you always have that safety net of popping home. However, I'd advise you not to go home every time you miss it. Ring your mum by all means, but going home will make it worse.
You sound like you're going to be just fine, with completely the right attitude to meeting new people. It's always going to be scary, but moving away from home (even if 20 mins away) is something that everyone's going to have to do, and moving to university is going to be awesome!
I've been at home for the summer for a while now, and I go back to uni on Saturday, and I really really really can't wait. I love my family but I've met some of the best friends i've ever had and I can't wait to get back to my new house, lectures, start second year and get back to the fun of it all!
My advice to you would to just enjoy it, I'm the happiest I've been for a long time at uni, and I'm sure you'll fit right in. Go with an open mind, and have fun meeting new people :smile:
Good luck :biggrin:
Hey I am from south yorkshire (12mins way from Sheff)
The uni is great and everyone is dead friendly!
You will find your feet, I felt the same when I started uni but you make friends so quick and before you know it your saying goodbye and see you next year!!!
If in doubt join a society which interests you!

All the best lovely you'll be fine!
Reply 3
I've never been the kind to get homesick or anything when I go away for a longish period of time. I've been away on my own plenty of times and never worry about leaving people or missing people.
But when I left for university I have to say I was pretty nervous, just because i'd never lived away from home before. My mum and sister were crying so that didn't help!
You adapt pretty quickly once you're there though. After a couple of months it'll feel like you've been living there forever. You might even prefer the freedom. I liked going home to see my family obviously, and having decent meals, and being able to wash my clothes for free and see my friends from home. But then I also liked the privacy I was able to have at university. I could do whatever I wanted. If I was in bed until 9 at night, and then staying awake all night, there's nobody to bug me about making noise or cooking food at all hours! :lol:

When it comes to meeting people the only advice I can give is to make an effort with people. They're all in the same situation as you, looking to make friends. And in that situation a person just appreciates anybody that's willing to make an effort to befriend them and make settling in easier.
I know it's easier said than done when you're a naturally shy person, i'm exactly the same, I find it really hard. But there's no other way to do it, you've just got to make yourself approachable and try your best to keep a conversation going! People aren't as judgmental or cliquey at university, and as long as you look to be making an effort to make friends then you no doubt will, with all kinds of different people!
As time goes on you may find people that you have more things in common with, but to begin with you'll find that it doesn't matter how different you are!
Reply 4
Thanks so much everyone! I know I have to make an effort with everyone because I've learnt from my past! I used to think that choosing a sixth form where I wouldn't know anyone was the worst thing I ever did, but when I think about it maybe it was the best. it sounds really cheesy but I really have learnt from it and I'm going to use that experience to try and do things differently at uni.

I just want a fresh start and to become independent because at the moment im not! I'm going to have to move out eventually and what better time to do it than university. I really think that living in halls will be best for me because I'm going to be in the middle of it all, but if I lived at home I know I wouldn't push myself enough.

I feel excited because I'm only going to get one chance to go to uni while I'm young and I know I'll enjoy it once I'm settled in. Pretty much everyone I know has either told me or someone else that they think I'll crumble within the first week and come home, but I'm going to prove them all wrong!

Reply 5
And sorry about the spelling mistakes or if things don't make sense, this stupid phone auto corrects everything!

Chin up halls are different to anything else in the world everyone talks to everyone just make shore you are around the Kitchen is all ways a good place to hang out you say that you have meta few on facebook already when you see them go up and say Hi it should be fine oh and Have fun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending