The Student Room Group

Is Uni Really The Best Times Of Our Lives?

Hi,

I am about to start uni in about 2 weeks and I'm feeling rather nervous.

I don't have much faith in freshers and personally I would rather make friends with people on my course.

All my mates that have graduated or still at uni keep telling me that I would enjoy it and that it would probably be the best three years of my life. My mates know that Im a hardcore clubber even though I don't drink or smoke, and they tell me that I could go clubbing every week or so.

Even though they are my best mates, I still don't quite believe them :redface:, and that is why I am asking on this forum. I'm bound to get a few dislikes for starting this thread but hey I just want to know what its like at uni and whether uni will be the best three years of my life, even though Im living at home.

Thanks
Reply 1
In general, they're going to be some of the best years you will experience, but university is what you make of it.

I guess it's because of the independence and fact that it's such a new experience; on top of this, you'll be studying what you want to be learning about and can put as much or as little effort into it as you want. It's a much more relaxed environment and I find people are far more accommodating and friendly than they were at school/college.

I'm not sure people can really say it's the best years of their life unless they're quite old, as they've still got many more years ahead which may provide even better experiences!
Reply 2
Everyone's experience of university will be different. I wouldn't say mine were the best years of my life. In fact the year or two preceeding university (and eprhaps a couple of years of university, or at least withdrawn from university, were among my worst). However, I am not typical as I did experience some significant personal and health difficulties from the age of 16 until well into my 20s and this obviously affected things. Even so, I do look back at my (long and disrupted) time at university and realise that it was a positive experience.

I'm not into clubbing myself, nor do I smoke or (usually) drink much. However, I did develop my interest in the theatre more and discover new academic interests. When I returned to university, after spending some time withdrawn, those were some of the most positive times I've had so far in my life.

My university years did provide me with the opportunity to learn more about myself and overcome signficaint challenges. I still feel a little unsatisfied in that there were things I wanted to do but couldn't. I would hope, but don't expect, that the next few years will be an improvement as they will allow me time to travel and settle into a career I'm passionate about.

My advice would be to not get too obssessed with whether the next few years should be the best in your life. Just go there and try and make the most of it. You may come back in three or four years time and say "hey those were the best years of my life (so far)", as many do, or you might not but providing you tried to make the most out of your time at university you should certainly have some positive experiences that you'll keep for life.
(edited 11 years ago)
I hate when people make statements like this, it's basically saying "it's downhill after uni"...
Reply 4
Original post by OL1V3R
I hate when people make statements like this, it's basically saying "it's downhill after uni"...

Which is probably true.
Reply 5
University was amazing for me, but I find it difficult to see myself ever calling it my 'best' time. It's likely that my future will hold things that I find I value just as much, such as family. Time will tell, of course.
Reply 6
So far, yes, it's been the best time of my life. Now I stand and the end I'm only just realising this fact. Don't consign the rest of your life to the dustbin though! Life is what you make of it, and if you get a good job or are happy in what you're doing there's no reason you won't be just as happy!
Original post by tehforum
Which is probably true.

Not necessarily - life if what you make it, and if you let it get worse after uni then it definitely will be.
Reply 8
TBH, for me YES!! But don't put too much pressure on yourself to have fun and you probably won't realise it's the time of your life at the time.
I think it's hard to say. I think the reason people say things like this is because you have 3 years with relatively few commitments, and a lot of freedom to please yourself. There are some great oppourtunities available to try new things, meet new people and gain life experience. If you want to go out clubbing every week or so, especially if you don't drink, you probably can, and I'm sure you'll meet loads of people who will enjoy doing that too. Equally, there will be people who don't enjoy that as much, who can obviously still be good friends if you share interests or are on the same course. I would go in expecting a good 3 years, but I don't know how you would tell if they were the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending