The Student Room Group

Maths interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mathsymathsy
That's a good question, because I haven't learnt much from the books :colondollar: Anything else they might ask me? I am going to reread the books and drop some notes down to prepare these questiosn

Highly doubt they will ask you anything specific. Besides, I don't think they pay much attention to PSs anyway. Someone on TSR said they heard an Oxford maths fellow say on an open day 'I never read them, they are mostly just a tissue of lies'. I think they just skim through and see if there is anything really good or unusual in it, or to reject people who have a clear lack of interest.

If you make your claim about a book like 'I have/am reading this book and [something very broad and unspecific]' then they cannot assume you are claiming you know anything specific about it. I would do that.
Reply 21
Original post by oh_1993
Highly doubt they will ask you anything specific. Besides, I don't think they pay much attention to PSs anyway. Someone on TSR said they heard an Oxford maths fellow say on an open day 'I never read them, they are mostly just a tissue of lies'. I think they just skim through and see if there is anything really good or unusual in it, or to reject people who have a clear lack of interest.

If you make your claim about a book like 'I have/am reading this book and [something very broad and unspecific]' then they cannot assume you are claiming you know anything specific about it. I would do that.

Do you mean I shouldnt reread the book and take some notes?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by mathsymathsy
Do you mean I shouldnt reread the book and take some notes?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No you should still make sure you know a lot about it in general and have read it thoroughly, but you won't be expected to say loads about something specific unless you claim you know something specific.

I don't think note taking is necessary. Just read it, making sure you still remember the basic details about the book.
Reply 23
Original post by starchick11
Hello

I really want to do a joint degree in maths with biology/chemistry but all the courses i looked at say they want the A in Maths.

I achieved AAB in chemistry, biology and Maths and the B in Maths was 6 UMS of an A.

Could you suggest any univeristies that i could apply to.
Does anyone know universities that would seriously consider me even though they say A in Maths? E.g Birmingham/nottingham/Bristol/Bath/leeds/york etc.

The reason I ask is because many do give lower conditional offers but wont look at an application is they have achieved less then the requirements which is a problem as i have already sat my A levels.

Thankyou

Start off by having a look through this list: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Mathematics_entry_requirements These are maths offers but the grades for combined degrees are likely to be similar. The obvious ones to look through are those wanting B in maths. If you're looking for somewhere wanting A in maths to consider you then you could try looking at ABB unis (then you would overall roughly be one grade above their requirements which might give you some bargaining power although there are no guarantees).

You could also consider doing just straight biology or chemistry - I haven't done either subject myself but there is likely to be a lot of maths in both of them anyway. You could look to see if any of the universities offering these courses offer maths-related optional modules in them.

Quick Reply

Latest