The Student Room Group

A2 music (ocr)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Short_Round
Yeah, Berlioz is great. :biggrin:

I think for the composing, programme/choral music is generally favoured by the examiners - our teacher advised us strongly against doing film music because apparently the marks nationally for that category are really low, which is a bit suspicious...

I'm a bit worried about my composition - I chose programme music, and I put in a lot of thought about how to express the programme etc. but as a stand-alone piece, it's not amazing. Do you think the examiners take into account the programme, or do they just listen to it as an abstract piece of music?

Also, if you look at the composing marks, you can go up or down a whole grade just based on the notation and how neat it is. It is important to notate properly, but surely it's not worth a whole grade? :confused:

Yeah I ended up doing programme music and chorales. Yeah the marks being low does sound a lot like OCR to me XD

I think they take into account the whole thing. We mentioned Berlioz earlier. According to my music history lecturer, people rubbished Symphonie Fantastique when they first heard it as they had no idea what was being depicted. Berlioz assumed the audience would grasp the story just listening to the music. Berlioz then began to issue audiences with the storyline on which the piece is based, and then the audiences began to grasp the concept of his music.

Yeah their is an awful lot of marks at stake just for the presentation. I did mine on Sibelius and just made sure it was as good and as accurate as I could get it before submission.
Original post by SRmusic
Hey :smile: good call for 'reviving this thread' :biggrin: haha!
i had my performance last week. i think it went okay and the viva voce was fine! just make sure you're comfortable talking about the different interpretations you've written on your form and know a bit of background knowledge about composers and stuff.. don't worry! the examiners are usually alright- we had a really nice one :smile:

our coursework deadline is this friday :s i think my harmony is okay-ish but not too sure about composition.. our teachers haven't really given us much feedback so i'm just hoping for the best!

what topics is everyone doing for the exam?

Did my performance today! It went much better than I was expecting :bigsmile: I had two examiners, which was a bit scary - I think one was a head examiner or something. :s-smilie:

For the exam, I'm doing vocal works in the first section and programme music for the essay bit. What are you doing?

Original post by jackf1337
Yeah I ended up doing programme music and chorales. Yeah the marks being low does sound a lot like OCR to me XD

I think they take into account the whole thing. We mentioned Berlioz earlier. According to my music history lecturer, people rubbished Symphonie Fantastique when they first heard it as they had no idea what was being depicted. Berlioz assumed the audience would grasp the story just listening to the music. Berlioz then began to issue audiences with the storyline on which the piece is based, and then the audiences began to grasp the concept of his music.

Yeah their is an awful lot of marks at stake just for the presentation. I did mine on Sibelius and just made sure it was as good and as accurate as I could get it before submission.

Oh, I'm glad they take the programme into account. I've made sure on my commentary that I've explained all my choices etc. so hopefully they'll like it! :tongue:

I always leave phrase marks and stuff until the end, so it's a bit of a rush getting it to look nice! I've started doing it now though so I've got a week to polish it.
Reply 22
Did my performance today! It went much better than I was expecting :bigsmile: I had two examiners, which was a bit scary - I think one was a head examiner or something. :s-smilie:

For the exam, I'm doing vocal works in the first section and programme music for the essay bit. What are you doing?

We're also doing vocal works in the first section (the aural bit) and for the essay's we're doing song. :smile:
Reply 23
[QUOTE="SRmusic;42304086"]

We're also doing vocal works in the first section (the aural bit) and for the essay's we're doing song. :smile:

Hello! I'm also doing vocal works in the first section and programme music for the essay bit. I'm struggling with how to revise though! Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:
You need to revise late Romantic music. Programme music is descriptive of a story, scene, object, mood etc. Look at Beethoven's 'Pastoral Symphony' (early example), Debussy's 'La Mer', 'Clair De Lune', 'L'Apres Midi D'Un Faun', Mendelssohn's 'Hebrides Overture', Tchaikovsky's 'Romeo and Juliet', Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at An Exhibition'. See what Wikipedia has to say about them. Apart from anything else, they're brilliant pieces to listen to.
[QUOTE="lucaayrose;42435455"]
Original post by SRmusic

Hello! I'm also doing vocal works in the first section and programme music for the essay bit. I'm struggling with how to revise though! Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

I'm not sure what to do either... I can't even remember what I did last year!

I think I made flashcards for key terms and historical context etc. then I annotated the scores and just listened over and over while following the score - so eventually I was really familiar with the pieces. But I suppose this year is different because we don't listen to any extracts from the pieces, it's just essays... Plus we're doing whole pieces not just single movements. :s-smilie:

Sorry, that wasn't much help! :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by Fingersmith
You need to revise late Romantic music. Programme music is descriptive of a story, scene, object, mood etc. Look at Beethoven's 'Pastoral Symphony' (early example), Debussy's 'La Mer', 'Clair De Lune', 'L'Apres Midi D'Un Faun', Mendelssohn's 'Hebrides Overture', Tchaikovsky's 'Romeo and Juliet', Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at An Exhibition'. See what Wikipedia has to say about them. Apart from anything else, they're brilliant pieces to listen to.

Thank you! I will definitely have a listen to these. And the late Romantic music, is that for the vocal section?
[QUOTE="Short_Round;42444457"]
Original post by lucaayrose

I'm not sure what to do either... I can't even remember what I did last year!

I think I made flashcards for key terms and historical context etc. then I annotated the scores and just listened over and over while following the score - so eventually I was really familiar with the pieces. But I suppose this year is different because we don't listen to any extracts from the pieces, it's just essays... Plus we're doing whole pieces not just single movements. :s-smilie:

Sorry, that wasn't much help! :tongue:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, last year we could annotate the scores and things, whereas this year I'm so stuck :s plus I haven't properly started revising yet, think I need to get cracking ha :s-smilie:
You're welcome and thanks for the rep :biggrin:

Good Luck
hey, i'm doing vocal scores for the first section and programme music for the essays, just wandering what pieces people had looked at for both? we've done Brittens rejoice in the Lamb and Waltons Belshazzar's feast for the vocal score, and then Four Seasons, Symphonie Fantastique and the Confession of Isobel Gowdie. Hope everyone's performance's and coursework went well!
Reply 29
Hey guys, I'm on the OCR website getting some past papers. For section A of the exam they only seem to have the mp3 listening tracks for the exams in 2012.. any idea where i can find the audio files for the other years? :s-smilie:
Original post by callummac94
hey, i'm doing vocal scores for the first section and programme music for the essays, just wandering what pieces people had looked at for both? we've done Brittens rejoice in the Lamb and Waltons Belshazzar's feast for the vocal score, and then Four Seasons, Symphonie Fantastique and the Confession of Isobel Gowdie. Hope everyone's performance's and coursework went well!

im doing the same - endeavouring to add music revision onto the list of things to do on Tuesday. i have a getrevising page that i can link you to when i start adding the notes/flashcards :smile:
Reply 31
Anyone doing film music I hate the essays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Hello, does anyone know the percentage the summer music A2 exam is out of the A2 course and out of the A level course as a whole?
Reply 33
Original post by lucaayrose
Hello, does anyone know the percentage the summer music A2 exam is out of the A2 course and out of the A level course as a whole?

it's 40% of A2, 20% overall c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many pages would you write for each essay?

I have my key facts, but i am worried its not enough... Itd be nice to know a target of how many pages i should do per essay question :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heyymark
it's 40% of A2, 20% overall c:

Posted from TSR Mobile

its 30% of A2, 15% overall, should hopefully settle some peoples nerves! not looking forward to it, i have a chemistry resit in them orning, and my school music department is too small to be able to afford the score for isobel gowdie. so if i have to write about it, i may breakdown mid exam. but good luck everyone anyway!
Original post by callummac94
its 30% of A2, 15% overall, should hopefully settle some peoples nerves! not looking forward to it, i have a chemistry resit in them orning, and my school music department is too small to be able to afford the score for isobel gowdie. so if i have to write about it, i may breakdown mid exam. but good luck everyone anyway!

The main points of that score is that is rather disonnant but also atonal. The key is usually in A and goes to C during the ends of each section. Also the unison bit where there are 13 strong beats to represent the 13 witches :smile:

How many pages for each essay will you probably do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megfashion
The main points of that score is that is rather disonnant but also atonal. The key is usually in A and goes to C during the ends of each section. Also the unison bit where there are 13 strong beats to represent the 13 witches :smile:

How many pages for each essay will you probably do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys!!
Who's looking forward to this exam tomorrow?? :P

We are doing Music for Film.. fun times eh?? :P

Best of luck, if anybody wants to share knowledge then post, post, post!

LESS THAN 16 HOURS TO GO!
Is anyone doing pop music for the essays? I literally can't find any information on related repetoire and I'm panicking.
I'm doing Film!
I'm mildly panicking about this exam now, but at least it's my last.
Just remember, talk about as much music as possible, and a lot about a little is sometimes good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending