The Student Room Group

Late MA Application - Late Academic Reference

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help. I've always wanted to go into postgrad study, but could never afford it. Very recently I decided to take the plunge and just go for it. I found a course I really liked the look of at Birmingham, and admissions said they'd still be willing to look over my application, even though the course starts at the end of September. I quickly put together an application, and contacted academic referees. However, one of my referees STILL hasn't submitted my reference. I've emailed a gentle reminder, but had no response.

Has anyone had any experience of such a late application? My academic record is excellent, and my on time referee said her reference would be 'glowing'. With this in mind, do you think Birmingham would be willing to overlook one of my referees being late? Or would they not even look over my application until it's complete (even though I've done all I can).

Any help / experiences would be appreciated!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Probably their admin office is being a bit slow. It's a busy time of year. Chase them about it a bit, it's probably nothing to do with references and more to do with administrative inefficiency.
Reply 2
Original post by Natasharox
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help. I've always wanted to go into postgrad study, but could never afford it. Very recently I decided to take the plunge and just go for it. I found a course I really liked the look of at Birmingham, and admissions said they'd still be willing to look over my application, even though the course starts at the end of September. I quickly put together an application, and contacted academic referees. However, one of my referees STILL hasn't submitted my reference. I've emailed a gentle reminder, but had no response.

Has anyone had any experience of such a late application? My academic record is excellent, and my on time referee said her reference would be 'glowing'. With this in mind, do you think Birmingham would be willing to overlook one of my referees being late? Or would they not even look over my application until it's complete (even though I've done all I can).

Hi there

I work on behalf of Heriot Watt University and deal with postgrad recruitment. Which particular course have you applied for? Would you consider studying at Heriot Watt if its the right course if so I would gladly assist you with your application and will make sure that you receive an offer. Heriot Watt would be more than happy to look into your application without one reference. Please let me know if you are interested so that I can provide more details.
Reply 3
I'd phone your referee and speak to them. If they're academic, then they're winding up to the start of the new academic year and things are becoming frantic. If you can politely say "I need your reference by... or I'll lose my chance" and give them a date to aim for, that might help bump you up the "Stuff To Do" list.
Also phone the MA course people and tell them what is going on.

I was offered a PhD studentship and had an enormous problem getting a copy of an 'on file' reference from my u/g Uni. My PhD Uni was helpful and sympathetic.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
I'd phone your referee and speak to them. If they're academic, then they're winding up to the start of the new academic year and things are becoming frantic. If you can politely say "I need your reference by... or I'll lose my chance" and give them a date to aim for, that might help bump you up the "Stuff To Do" list.

Original post by returnmigrant
Also phone the MA course people and tell them what is going on.

I was offered a PhD studentship and had an enormous problem getting a copy of an 'on file' reference from my u/g Uni. My PhD Uni was helpful and sympathetic.

:ditto:

One of my referees took ages, but that was purely because she didn't really understand online applications and instead we had to go the paper route. Just make sure they know what needs to be done and when for. Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Natasharox
Hi everyone,

What I would do is just go to your lecturer's office during office hours and have a chat face to face explaining the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending