The Student Room Group

Applying for Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kcruza95
Can anyone tell me if my ICT OCR National Diploma Level 3 Double Award (12 Units) at distinction level counts as 2 A A-levels like my college says or does it count as only one as stated by gavinlowe above.

Let me clarify what I said. The Diploma does indeed earn the UCAS points equivalent to two A Levels. However, UCAS points are only intended as a guide, and universities can make their own decisions. We do not believe that the Diploma gives as much preparation for an academic degree as two A Levels, so we would want it to be augmented with two A Levels -- or something similar.

Original post by tooosh
are you guaranteed to take the MAT if you apply to Oxford?

Yes.
Reply 21
For my backup choice at Leeds University, is it worth applying to Computer Science w/ Mathematics or is it better for me to apply for straight Computer Science because I'm not doing FM and I will have better chances of getting accepted
Reply 22
For my backup choice at Leeds University, is it worth applying to Computer Science w/ Mathematics or is it better for me to apply for straight Computer Science because I'm not doing FM and I will have better chances of getting accepted

For Leeds it doesn't matter that much if you don't have FM. Pick the one you want.
Reply 23
I was under the impression that there was such a thing as a straight CS for Cambridge that won't require me to do STEP. But for the first year I have to chose between CS with Maths from the Maths Tripos which will probably require me to do STEP (which I won't be able to do because STEP I and II have elements of S1&S2 which aren't covered in the maths a-level in our college only C1-4 and M1-2). So I'm guessing my only choice is to do the CS with Maths from NST tripos along with Chemistry?

I have also decided to go to apply to Churchill after comparing the other colleges.
Reply 24
I was under the impression that there was such a thing as a straight CS for Cambridge that won't require me to do STEP. But for the first year I have to chose between CS with Maths from the Maths Tripos which will probably require me to do STEP (which I won't be able to do because STEP I and II have elements of S1&S2 which aren't covered in the maths a-level in our college only C1-4 and M1-2). So I'm guessing my only choice is to do the CS with Maths from NST tripos along with Chemistry?

I have also decided to go to apply to Churchill after comparing the other colleges.

I think you misunderstand how STEP works!

There is a choice of questions and you are not forced to do the Stats ones, nor the Mechanics ones. Someone who has done S1 and S2 but not mechanics will not be able to answer the mechanics questions, but can still answer sufficient pure + stats questions to meet an offer.
Reply 25

I don't think you're reading the course spec right either. Cambridge only do straight CS with parts of the NST, PPST or Maths Tripos in either the first year or first semester, don't remember which. That's unless they've significantly changed it this year, which I doubt.
Reply 26
Ahh I see. I read that the straight CS with maths tripos will probably get the college to offer met STEP because I only did single Maths. But thanks for clearing up the STEP issue. I was getting stressed that I would need to learn S1&S2 syllabus as well as the rest of the A2 pure and m2 I haven't done yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending