The Student Room Group

Police Caution and Becomming a Nurse

Scroll to see replies

I'm fairly certain that health care job are only really bothered about convictions involving children and vulnerable adults. Obviously hard drug use ect ect is bad but I don't think a minor caution will be a problem. In fact I'm about 50% certain that it wont stop you if you wanted to join the police so it shouldn't really be a problem.
But like everyone has said don't try and hide it from them, just admit it was a mistake and move on.
Reply 21
Original post by Soph.Jade
OP, I had something on my police record. The important thing is to be completely open and honest about what happened and being able to prove you've learned your lesson. Maybe offer to do a drugs test to prove you don't take anything anymore?

Good luck though, it's horrible waiting to hear if a stupid mistake is going to ruin everything.

That's a great idea I would certainly be happy to do that to prove to them I am not a drug user. You're right it is such a pain having this record - especially when it is for something such as personal use of illegal drugs - I myself attend marches to demand better laws regarding personal drug use, so I disagree with someone being branded a criminal for wanting to use a substance on themself. Basically, why should people be told what they can and cant experiment with on their on bodies? This is a discussion for another time of course, but it just adds the insult to injury in my case here.
I too thought that a caution is not a conviction and I ticked 'no' to having a conviction on an application form for a job at a care home and got questioned by the management when my CRB came back as to why I hadnt declared it. I explained I didn't think it was a caution was a conviction and they told me it was. They said it was a common miss understanding. I still secretly wasn't convinced but I remember on the CRB form I filled in for uni, one of the questions asks you to tick if you have had any convictions including cautions or something so there's no excuse for not declaring it on there. I think it's better to tick it than to not to. Perhaps strangley i believe you'll be in a worse position of it shows up and you haven't declared it than if you ticked the box and nothing came up. If its a one off I really wouldn't worry. Good luck!
Reply 23
Never accept a caution.
Original post by kittyjones23
Hi just wanted to reassure you MarsVolta...i got caught 4 years ago with cannabis (also class C) and applied to study a nursing degree at uni this autumn. I got accepted onto the course and i got summoned to a panel meeting last week to discuss my CRB. They grilled me on where and how I got caught, if I am still smoking it etc etc and I have been allowed to start the course provided that I produced 2 'satisfactory' references. I, like you have worked voluntarily and paid in healthcare jobs which deffo helped support my case. They told me it will always come up when applying for nursing jobs but you will usually always get to explain yourself. Basically do not worry, if becoming a nurse is your dream and they can see that you will be absolutely fine just remember to declare it. Oh and a caution is actually a conviction. Sounds silly I know but trust me it is, I found out the hard way when applying for a healthcare job. Hope this helps.

I agree. I went through something similar and know a lot of people in my precious cohort who also did. A caution will always come up on a crb whether enhanced or standard but as long as you declare it and are able to provide satisfactory references you won't be rejected. It may be a little harder in regards to having regular meetings with lecturers whilst they monitor your progress and stuff but no it wouldn't keep you off the course :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 25
Original post by Danniitb
I agree. I went through something similar and know a lot of people in my precious cohort who also did. A caution will always come up on a crb whether enhanced or standard but as long as you declare it and are able to provide satisfactory references you won't be rejected. It may be a little harder in regards to having regular meetings with lecturers whilst they monitor your progress and stuff but no it wouldn't keep you off the course :smile:

Thanks for the sensible reply... One thing however: you mention it might be a little harder to have regular meetings with lecturers? I'm not sure I understand why you say this, could you explain please?
Reply 26
sorry to hijack this thread but there seems to be lots of people on here who know about cautions and CRB checks ect. Does anyone know if youth cautions will always show up on a CRB check (including enhanced ones) or if that only applies to ones you receive as an adult?
Reply 27
All cautions from youth to now come up but does depend on how old you are as the law changed after the Soham murders. My mate had to go to panel and certain measures were put in place, ie she has to be supervised with regards to opiates but so does every body cos its controlled drugs and need to be counter signed anyhow. But one case off ket doesn't make u a junky or high risk of steeling from the trolly just tell the universities why you wanna b a nurse, get a place and just declare it when it comes to your CRB, if there's an issue Occ health will discuss it and maybes a panel but you'll get there!! Good luck and determination is all you need. And don't do drugs :wink:

Original post by MarsVolta
Are you doing ok? You seem like you're letting off quite a bit of steam there... Anyway, I think your personal preferance would be shared by quite a few - good health is generally a demanded quality in a health professional :smile: - Also, why do you bring up "injecting"?

ketamine can be injected which is why the topic was brought up ...

that said mental health may be easier for you as there is less exposure to drugs of abuse in many Mental health settings than in physical health settings ...

as has been said it's a single occurance and total honesty when making declarations in applications etc is the only viable option as lying pre-reg will get you thrown off the course and potentially blacklisted and doing it post reg will result in dismissal and slam dunk NMC strike off.
Reply 29
Original post by Apzzz79
All cautions from youth to now come up but d oes depend on how old you are as the law changed after the Soham murders. My mate had to go to panel and certain measures were put in place, ie she has to be supervised with regards to opiates but so does every body cos its controlled drugs and need to be counter signed anyhow. But one case off ket doesn't make u a junky or high risk of steeling from the trolly just tell the universities why you wanna b a nurse, get a place and just declare it when it comes to your CRB, if there's an issue Occ health will discuss it and maybes a panel but you'll get there!! Good luck and determination is all you need. And don't do drugs :wink:

well that sucks :frown: Thanks for the information though.
Original post by MarsVolta
Thanks for the sensible reply... One thing however: you mention it might be a little harder to have regular meetings with lecturers? I'm not sure I understand why you say this, could you explain please?

i meant that it may be harder as you will be called into uni more often for extra meetings...once you start the course youll realise that its sometimes quite difficult trying to juggle lectures and placement, as well as studying and working any extra job/s you may have. any extra meetings that you get called into uni for can end up being a bit of a chore to arrange as there is usually more than one diary that needs to be considered. i dont want this to put you off at all and the course is very rewarding. it may be beneficial for you to call the admissions tutor at the universities you are considering and ask them for advice. each university will have different policies and procedures for these kinds of situations.

ive also noticed it was said throughout the thread that doing mental health nursing will mean you are exposed to medications less than in adult nursing...not true at all. also a lot of the anti-psychotic medication and some benzodiazapine drugs (which are both commonly used in mental health services) are highly addictive and monitored, not just by ward staff, but by pharmacy and the trust. which is again why i suggest you call the admissions tutors and ask them for specific advice

Hope you get onto a course though

good luck x
Reply 31
I agree it doesn't matter watch batch of nursing, all nurses have work with drugs. At application stage apart a tick on UCAS app and small amount of detail necessary, just right 'caution for procession of class C drug' never put it in personal statement you won't get interviewed and that is unfair!!!!! There is a few processes onto nursing.
Firstly personal statement, should say why you should be accepted never why you shouldn't!!
Interview, again this is about why you are right for the course. If you are asked then about criminal record at this stage tell the truth if you are not leave it.
References, health Clarence, CRB stage is where you are honest. If u lie at CRB there will probably no going back, on CRB tick yes and then you can discuss your minor caution. It was a class C drug doesn't matter if it's Ketimine or cannabis both the same 'illegal'. I have to be checked and monitored during my course, not because of a criminal record but a medical issue.

Reply 32
Should of read that post though first, ruddy iPhone and Auto correct!! Hope u can make it out :smile:

i meant that it may be harder as you will be called into uni more often for extra meetings...once you start the course youll realise that its sometimes quite difficult trying to juggle lectures and placement, as well as studying and working any extra job/s you may have. any extra meetings that you get called into uni for can end up being a bit of a chore to arrange as there is usually more than one diary that needs to be considered. i dont want this to put you off at all and the course is very rewarding. it may be beneficial for you to call the admissions tutor at the universities you are considering and ask them for advice. each university will have different policies and procedures for these kinds of situations.

ive also noticed it was said throughout the thread that doing mental health nursing will mean you are exposed to medications less than in adult nursing...not true at all. also a lot of the anti-psychotic medication and some benzodiazapine drugs (which are both commonly used in mental health services) are highly addictive and monitored, not just by ward staff, but by pharmacy and the trust. which is again why i suggest you call the admissions tutors and ask them for specific advice

good luck x

Absolutely. All the minor tranquilizers have high street values and are highly addictive.

Posted from my Galaxy note
Reply 34
Original post by zippyRN
ketamine can be injected which is why the topic was brought up ...

that said mental health may be easier for you as there is less exposure to drugs of abuse in many Mental health settings than in physical health settings ...

as has been said it's a single occurance and total honesty when making declarations in applications etc is the only viable option as lying pre-reg will get you thrown off the course and potentially blacklisted and doing it post reg will result in dismissal and slam dunk NMC strike off.

I was wondering more specifically why the poster thought to sensationalise the discussion by suggesting that a casual use of ketamine was likely to involve intramuscular administration. Just exposing a troll. Thanks for the rest of your advice, it seems clear now that being honest about a single incident will likely not impinge someone's chances.
Reply 35

good luck x

Ok, I think I understand. Thanks :smile:

Regarding the mental health / adult nursing + availability of drugs: I suppose the availability of drugs used to treat mental illness will be less in a mental health setting because most patients will receive their perscriptions as outpatients, but some of course may require inpatient treatment. That said you are right about benzos and their reputation.
Reply 36
Original post by Apzzz79
I agree it doesn't matter watch batch of nursing, all nurses have work with drugs. At application stage apart a tick on UCAS app and small amount of detail necessary, just right 'caution for procession of class C drug' never put it in personal statement you won't get interviewed and that is unfair!!!!! There is a few processes onto nursing.
Firstly personal statement, should say why you should be accepted never why you shouldn't!!
Interview, again this is about why you are right for the course. If you are asked then about criminal record at this stage tell the truth if you are not leave it.
References, health Clarence, CRB stage is where you are honest. If u lie at CRB there will probably no going back, on CRB tick yes and then you can discuss your minor caution. It was a class C drug doesn't matter if it's Ketimine or cannabis both the same 'illegal'. I have to be checked and monitored during my course, not because of a criminal record but a medical issue.

Great advice! I was wondering about the personal statement, but it has to be wholly positive I suppose!
Hi guys, need help!

got a caution 2 years ago. Details: neighbour gave me a voucher for a retailer, i used it, got arrested and cautioned. I had no idea the voucher was fake and was given it for free by this neighbour (who I gladly no longer associate with).

Will the affect my application? Do you see me becoming a Healthcare Assistant or getting into a degree programme?

Appreciate all the answers, thank you.
Reply 38
Having a Police Caution should not act as a preclusion to you becoming a Healthcare Assistant and being accepted on the degree programme. Be open and honest from the outset, along with the circumstances that led to you committing this mistake.

Good luck.
:biggrin:

Original post by Zulfi7860
Hi guys, need help!

got a caution 2 years ago. Details: neighbour gave me a voucher for a retailer, i used it, got arrested and cautioned. I had no idea the voucher was fake and was given it for free by this neighbour (who I gladly no longer associate with).

Will the affect my application? Do you see me becoming a Healthcare Assistant or getting into a degree programme?

Appreciate all the answers, thank you.
Reply 39
Hi everyone I am concerned a lot about a caution I had in 2012, I've been cautioned for disorderly behaviour/abusive/insulting words , actually I shouted on 3 children 11 years in front of everyone because they were bullying my son very badly, insulting him .... till he didn't want to go to school, he was crying all the time and he was scared of them, he talked to his teacher but she didn't do anything about that, so when that day he told me the truth about what he was distress and when I bring him to school and I saw these boys, they were 3 and I lost my temper and I shouted on them I was upset and I left home when I came back at 3 pm to collect my children 2 policemen the head teacher were waiting for me and after that I 've been cautioned. I was pregnant of 7 month and I am health care assistant since 2005 , I never have any trouble with anyone never have any probleme with police but now I want to get university Oxford Brookes University to do nursing , have I any chance to be accepted, I am so worried !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending