The Student Room Group

Extra time in exams.

In my last year of 6th form I was awarded extra time due to quite severe panic attacks, are you still allowed extra time in exams at university or are you expected just to cope?
Reply 1
Original post by Carroon
In my last year of 6th form I was awarded extra time due to quite severe panic attacks, are you still allowed extra time in exams at university or are you expected just to cope?

I was offered extra time because of fairly severe back pain (so I could walk around) although I chose not to take it. If you have a genuine medical problem (My friend fell off a roof when he was drunk and bruised his arse...and got extra time because he couldn't actually sit down :biggrin:) and can prove it then unis are very good at accommodating you.
Reply 2
Original post by Carroon

Universities need to make reasonable adjustments for students with disabilities and health conditions as well as health conditions (inclding anxiety or the tendency to have panic attacks), just as schools are so, yes, you may still be able to have extra time. However, if you don't have problems with handwriting or information processing this "extra time" may be in the form of rest breaks or some additional reading time rather than extra time for writing. This is a decision your university needs to make so I recomment that, when the time comes, you contact your firm university including the disability service or contact them as soon as you begin your studies there. They may need medical evidence (e.g. GP's letter).

It would also be worth asking about exam workshops and any workshops on how to reduce stress, anxiety or panic attacks. These are sometimes offered at university.
Reply 3
You will need to speak to the uni & support services once you arrive.
Reply 4
That's great thanks guys. Start in just over a week so will ask then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending