The Student Room Group

Feminists destroy posters advocating human rights for men

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrietharmman
You talk about "many countries" but this discussion isn't about the third world or Islamic states. Anyway, here's the answer to your question.

Pretty much any state that has family courts. (ours are particularly bad but many other countries use the same kind of system)

Any that has conscription (i.e. die for your country or not vote for you) (e.g. US, South Korea)

Any that has domestic violence shelters only for women (most western countries)

any where heathcare spending on women dwarfs that spent on men (even once adjusting for childbirth).

Any where a male has his genitals mutilated (sometimes by the state), and where that same state actively protects females from such abuses. (e.g. UK, USA)

Any state which has female sentencing discount and get out of jail free cards for women.

Any state that gives jobs to women simply on the basis of their gender rather than ability. (e.g. Norway, UK).

In other words pretty much every western country.

err... Since when did the UK Government start mutilating men's genitals?
Original post by ThatPerson
err... Since when did the UK Government start mutilating men's genitals?

I assume he means male vs female circumcision. Not sure where the state actually forces circumcision though, unless there are nations where the medical services assume a parent wants a circumcision and give it to the baby without the parents being asked, I mean I assume in the likes of Israel circumcision is done by default, but I doubt the state actively involves itself with it.

Unless what they mean is that a publicly funded state institution such as the NHS carries out circumcisions, thus the state is involved.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
This is such an incredibly stupid post. As someone above you said, there are areas in life where females are disadvantaged, and areas where males are disadvantaged. Therefore it is worthwhile to highlight both men's rights issues and female's rights issues, since there are causes for concern for both genders.

Unless you are honestly arguing that there are no areas in life when men are disadvantaged? Offering the example of female salaries doesn't prove that men "have rights" and women "don't have rights". If my logic were as poor as yours, I could simply state that the woman almost always getting custody the children in divorce cases proves that women "already have rights" and that men "don't have rights, therefore men have the right to campaign for rights and women don't".

Or perhaps I'm simply not "thinking a little"... :rolleyes:

I've already conceded in an earlier post that men are disadvantaged in some ways, and that the first bit of the post you've quoted was a bit OTT. BUT I stand by the second part with reference to feminism, and the last part about thinking a little was linked to that and not the first part when I wrote it, because it's truly daft to say all feminists have just "gone off at the deep end". Whilst men are disadvantaged in some areas though I still feel we're generally better off overall- it's unlikely an employer's ever going to have second thoughts about me leaving my job to start a family when considering whether to hire me, it's unlikely I'm going to get badgered by family members about why I don't have kids yet aged 40 (when I reach that age) as my aunt was (though my uncles were never exposed to the same treatment), I'm highly unlikely to be groped or sexually harassed on the street and probably equally unlikely to be raped and then blamed for wearing clothing that showed off my arse or something too much, goading the rapist on...Just as the custody example you gave shows the preconceived idea that men are incapable of raising children, these examples also show a fundamental flaw in the way society often views women- as sex objects made for producing babies who aren't capable of achieving ANYTHING other than becoming a housewife, and are always at least a teensy weensy bit to blame for any kind of sexual harassment/attack/rape. Whilst men are discriminated against in ways that shut them off from certain ideas (such as raising children) the overwhelming majority of sexism I hear about is aimed at shutting women off from pretty much every idea they might come up with, or worse, encouraging them to agree and shut themselves off from the idea of a career that might mean they earn more than their potential husband/a career that would get in the way of them producing sproglets.
Original post by Bobo1234
I've already conceded in an earlier post that men are disadvantaged in some ways, and that the first bit of the post you've quoted was a bit OTT. BUT I stand by the second part with reference to feminism, and the last part about thinking a little was linked to that and not the first part when I wrote it, because it's truly daft to say all feminists have just "gone off at the deep end". Whilst men are disadvantaged in some areas though I still feel we're generally better off overall- it's unlikely an employer's ever going to have second thoughts about me leaving my job to start a family when considering whether to hire me, it's unlikely I'm going to get badgered by family members about why I don't have kids yet aged 40 (when I reach that age) as my aunt was (though my uncles were never exposed to the same treatment), I'm highly unlikely to be groped or sexually harassed on the street and probably equally unlikely to be raped and then blamed for wearing clothing that showed off my arse or something too much, goading the rapist on...Just as the custody example you gave shows the preconceived idea that men are incapable of raising children, these examples also show a fundamental flaw in the way society often views women- as sex objects made for producing babies who aren't capable of achieving ANYTHING other than becoming a housewife, and are always at least a teensy weensy bit to blame for any kind of sexual harassment/attack/rape. Whilst men are discriminated against in ways that shut them off from certain ideas (such as raising children) the overwhelming majority of sexism I hear about is aimed at shutting women off from pretty much every idea they might come up with, or worse, encouraging them to agree and shut themselves off from the idea of a career that might mean they earn more than their potential husband/a career that would get in the way of them producing sproglets.

Again, this is a laughably one-sided post.

For example, when you talk about crime, why are you restricting it to the chances of being raped? As a male, your chances of being the victim of homicide are higher than if you were female. (stats from America) Source: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/gender.cfm

(OMG SOCIETY IS SO PREJUDICED AGAINST MEN!!!!111 THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS!!!11 :rolleyes: )

Sorry, but I don't see how anyone can take you seriously writing such obviously one-sided posts, cherry-picking examples that only support your viewpoint.
Reply 64
It's not necessarily about feminism. A lot of it is blatant misandry. Mumsnet can't really be described as a feminist movement, but it is absolutely filled with hate-ridden anti-male bile.
Lol, feminists, terrorists, white nationalists, skinheads, extreme racist people , all of these people fit into the same category, their teachings have been corrupted by now. I just hate the whole lot of them. If they hadn't opposed the EPA rights act in America, perhaps then there wouldn't have been so much sex discrimination as there is today. Feminists hate men. Simple. And that is due to the mistake of the previous generation of males. They seriously destroyed all sense of equal rights. I don't think Western woman love their kids much, in fact, they are now enemies, and they don't care for male sons. Now, the young current generation of women are being corrupted by those feminists. And those current young generation of males are getting a bit too rowdy for their liking. Its stupid. The equal rights act should be passed, then those feminists won't say a thing about it. Asian women (thank god) haven't been corrupted by this '' corrupted western feminists'' thinking. They are less likely to cheat, unlike Yankee American women, who do this in the north quite extensively. Our Southern stock are more loyal than the Yankee's stock. Anyway, I see many females of this current century hating males more than ever, and that is worrying. But I never think they will get to power, its like putting the BNP in power when they only got 2% of the vote last year and that was very cheap, very cheap indeed. So, nothing to be worried about, but their activities should be kept to a small extent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Again, this is a laughably one-sided post.

For example, when you talk about crime, why are you restricting it to the chances of being raped? As a male, your chances of being the victim of homicide are higher than if you were female. (stats from America) Source: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/gender.cfm

(OMG SOCIETY IS SO PREJUDICED AGAINST MEN!!!!111 THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS!!!11 :rolleyes: )

Sorry, but I don't see how anyone can take you seriously writing such obviously one-sided posts, cherry-picking examples that only support your viewpoint.

But look at the types of homicide- women are still more likely to be killed over sex than men, and more likely to be killed by family members, whereas men are more likely to be killed by "friends" and strangers.
But look at the types of homicide- women are still more likely to be killed over sex than men, and more likely to be killed by family members, whereas men are more likely to be killed by "friends" and strangers.

What difference does that make?

Anyway, here's another example, taken from a post on the first page of this thread:

"A superficial examination of the criminal statistics suggests that, for virtually
every type of offence, women are treated more leniently than men."
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110220105210/rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs/hors170.pdf

If it were the other way round, you'd probably have included this in your post about how awful women have it compared to men. But according to you, men "have rights", and therefore have no need to campaign for equality in certain areas? So you feel it is acceptable that the law treats women more leniently than men?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by That Bearded Man
Feminists will have their own political party and paramilitary soon.....dear me.

It's fine the Feminist Paramilitary won't be able to get anywhere because they can't read maps :colondollar:
What difference does that make?

Anyway, here's another example, taken from a post on the first page of this thread:

"A superficial examination of the criminal statistics suggests that, for virtually
every type of offence, women are treated more leniently than men."
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110220105210/rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs/hors170.pdf

If it were the other way round, you'd probably have included this in your post about how awful women have it compared to men. But according to you, men "have rights", and therefore have no need to campaign for equality in certain areas? So you feel it is acceptable that the law treats women more leniently than men?

No...I didn't say that. If anything this example also backs up my point- about society's view of women as weaker beings incapable of really having the intent of a big bad man to commit a crime, whilst also backing up your point in portraying men as being big and bad and always having the intent to commit the crimes they're being found guilty of. Point to both of us, I'd say.

My point about the types of homicide was really kinda linked to the idea of women being sex objects- a woman who rejects a man's sexual advances is more likely to be killed out of sexual frustration-induced rage than a man rejecting a woman's sexual advances.
Reply 70
If no one has aligned Feminism with the Nazis yet, i'd like to do so.

This means I have won this thread.
Original post by liamb109
because they've done so well as a group off their own hard work?

:eek:
Ever heard of slavery?
No...I didn't say that. If anything this example also backs up my point- about society's view of women as weaker beings incapable of really having the intent of a big bad man to commit a crime, whilst also backing up your point in portraying men as being big and bad and always having the intent to commit the crimes they're being found guilty of. Point to both of us, I'd say.

That's kinda my point. I'm not saying men are always disadvantaged, simply that men and women can both be disadvantaged in certain ways, so arguing that men shouldn't campaign for male rights issues is wrong.
Original post by plimsolls
If no one has aligned Feminism with the Nazis yet, i'd like to do so.

This means I have won this thread.

Not so fast, I'd like to compare anti-feminism with Nazism. Guess that makes it a draw. You still have an advantage for getting there first though...
Okay, how about this - "don't generaise". I win.
That's kinda my point. I'm not saying men are always disadvantaged, simply that men and women can both be disadvantaged in certain ways, so arguing that men shouldn't campaign for male rights issues is wrong.

I agree, without conceding that women are, overall, more disadvantaged than men when it comes to discrimination. Both groups should campaign for equal rights though- and heck, they can even campaign for each other's rights too (shock horror :p: )
Reply 75
Original post by When you see it...
Not so fast, I'd like to compare anti-feminism with Nazism. Guess that makes it a draw. You still have an advantage for getting there first though...
Okay, how about this - "don't generaise". I win.

I'd like to compare you with a cashew nut. I win.
Reply 76
Original post by When you see it...
:eek:
Ever heard of slavery?

All races have been enslaved. The ability to control others is part of being superior to them, whether technologically or culturally, both of which the Whites were over the Africans and the Romans were before them.
Reply 77
I agree some feminists are sexist against men themselves and assume that if they dont get a promotion over male collegues etc that this means that their employers are sexist when in fact it could mean their male colleague was probabaly better. I think employers are over frightended of this label and the scales are now tipping against men when in fact it should be equal. If men created a mens rights group they would be unfairly branded sexist. I recomend to all you bloke to try to create a group like this on tsr to tackle female sexism headon.
To tell the truth. The poster campaign was written quite aggressively. It should have definitely stayed up though. There was a statistic about abuse in the home and men usually didn't report it because it would make them look weak.
I imagine that whatever group of people who've been ripping down the posters are a small one. Though if people really have a problem with the posters why don't they complain about it, instead of running around and ripping them off walls?? Seems kinda immature.

It reminds me of this USA story I heard a few months back about a group of women disrupting a men's conference about domestic violence towards males.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending