The Student Room Group

Elephant.co.uk , Do they ask for your licence after you buy a policy?

This question goes out to customers of elephant.co.uk car insurance, im about to take out a policy with them, do they ask for a copy of your driving licence after you buy?

I need to know this because my mum has a licence, but she cannot find it anywhere in the house, and the policy needs to be taken out on the weekend. Surely the company will just match details with DVLA? I appreciate all serious answers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PataynaRolaay
This question goes out to customers of elephant.co.uk car insurance, im about to take out a policy with them, do they ask for a copy of your driving licence after you buy?

I need to know this because my mum has a licence, but she cannot find it anywhere in the house, and the policy needs to be taken out on the weekend. Surely the company will just match details with DVLA? I appreciate all serious answers.

Insurers don't ask to see a physical copy of your license.

There are databases etc of all of this and you don't need to show anyone the actual paper/plastic parts so it doesn't matter if she has misplaced them temporarily...
Reply 2
Insurers usually do not ask for proof of anything except no-claims until a claim is made.
That is when your 'lies' are discovered and the claim can be refused
Original post by mphysical
Insurers usually do not ask for proof of anything except no-claims until a claim is made.
That is when your 'lies' are discovered and the claim can be refused

What 'lies' are you on about? Im the policy holder, i have both parts of my licence here, and mums the second driver, she cant find her licence. Thats why i need to know if they ask for a licence straight away.
Original post by Motorbiker
Insurers don't ask to see a physical copy of your license.

There are databases etc of all of this and you don't need to show anyone the actual paper/plastic parts so it doesn't matter if she has misplaced them temporarily...

Thanks. Yep, its all on the database. Cheers

Hi PataynaRolaay, I've been stalking your posts in the Co-Op thread and your other thread on getting insurance below £1500 for the past few weeks :colone: . Just wondering what your quote is with Elephant for your Micra. Have you managed to get it below £1500?

Thanks
Original post by Hustler-1337
Hi PataynaRolaay, I've been stalking your posts in the Co-Op thread and your other thread on getting insurance below £1500 for the past few weeks :colone: . Just wondering what your quote is with Elephant for your Micra. Have you managed to get it below £1500?

Thanks

Alright lad .. Well i could've got insured with Co-Op for £1100 long time ago, but you know what happened there :frown:

Then i checked confused.com, and got quoted £1800 on a corsa. The next day i logged in, and done a brand new quote with same details, and it came to £1550. Im going to live in my dads place in another part of birmingham, and the insurance is £1350 there, fully comp! Im as main driver, got my mum's provisional as named, and my grandad as named, mileage set to 4000, and car parked on road.

Then with that £1350 quote, im gonna ring elephant.co.uk up and try to haggle and get some knocked off too lol

Now on the weekend im gonna go out and buy a Corsa 1.0L ,, and get it insured for monday! :biggrin:

Hows insurance going with you bro?
Reply 7
What 'lies' are you on about? Im the policy holder, i have both parts of my licence here, and mums the second driver, she cant find her licence. Thats why i need to know if they ask for a licence straight away.
Calm down dear, it's only....
i wasn't calling you a liar. I was pointing out how insurance companies operate.
They accept your word on most things, but demand proof when a claim is made.
Original post by mphysical
Calm down dear, it's only....
i wasn't calling you a liar. I was pointing out how insurance companies operate.
They accept your word on most things, but demand proof when a claim is made.

Lol its only a commercial?

Oh, no worries then bro, its just that i want to get insured with my mum on the policy, and she cant find her licence, and that got me worried. Thanks anyway lad
Alright lad .. Well i could've got insured with Co-Op for £1100 long time ago, but you know what happened there :frown:

Then i checked confused.com, and got quoted £1800 on a corsa. The next day i logged in, and done a brand new quote with same details, and it came to £1550. Im going to live in my dads place in another part of birmingham, and the insurance is £1350 there, fully comp! Im as main driver, got my mum's provisional as named, and my grandad as named, mileage set to 4000, and car parked on road.

Then with that £1350 quote, im gonna ring elephant.co.uk up and try to haggle and get some knocked off too lol

Now on the weekend im gonna go out and buy a Corsa 1.0L ,, and get it insured for monday! :biggrin:

Ah OK, didn't know that you changed your vehicle and moved out. :biggrin: Are you just going to go on a sort of 'window shopping' on the weekend for your Corsa or have you already arranged to buy a particular Corsa from a particular buyer that your going to collect?

Hows insurance going with you bro?

Well, I just passed my test today :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: So happy. I'm going to try and get some prospective insurance quotes to get an idea of what cars I can afford insurance for. I really hope that I don't get some ridiculous quotes like you were that I won't be able to afford. Pray for me bro
Congratulations my brother! Top lad, smashed it! I didnt have a micra in the first place, i was trying to get a micra cause co-op were quoting me £1100 .. Now they quoting 2600.

Im looking for a Corsa 1.0L Club 12V .. I've seen a couple, so gonna go check em out on the weekend then buy inshallah! Insurance quoted me £1350 so im still chilling, gonna get the insurance to start on my 19th bday next week too :smile: Lol i aint moved out, im just registering the insurance on my dads other house cause its cheaper lol

And bro, you better be prepared for some HIGH quotes .. You prob wont get anything under 2.5k atleast, if your lucky ..

Bro, try Co-Op Young Drivers .. I would still try them, but feck it, i got 1350 for a no box insurance lol even better

They dont ask to see a copy of your driving licence. No insurance company ive ever come across does. They can check on the DVLA database if they want to check you (and any named drivers) have a licence.
The only thing they will want to check is proof of any no claims you have, basically to make sure that you have any no claims that you say you have.
Original post by Emma:-)
They dont ask to see a copy of your driving licence. No insurance company ive ever come across does. They can check on the DVLA database if they want to check you (and any named drivers) have a licence.
The only thing they will want to check is proof of any no claims you have, basically to make sure that you have any no claims that you say you have.

Thats all i needed to know :smile: Thanks alot :wink:
Reply 13
It does happen. I had to send a copy of my licence to ebike last year. But that is the only time in over 30 years of motoring.
Original post by Matureb
It does happen. I had to send a copy of my licence to ebike last year. But that is the only time in over 30 years of motoring.

Ebike? Im talking about car insurance here mate. And 30 years of motoring??? What are you doing on TSR? You must be like 47 years old atleast?
Reply 15
And the rest. Still a student though, trying for the maths degree I`ve always wanted. And if ebike do it, I expect ecar will also request a copy, but they have never been cheap enough to go with.
Original post by Matureb
And the rest. Still a student though, trying for the maths degree I`ve always wanted. And if ebike do it, I expect ecar will also request a copy, but they have never been cheap enough to go with.

Its with elephant.co.uk
Original post by Hustler-1337
Ah OK, didn't know that you changed your vehicle and moved out. :biggrin: Are you just going to go on a sort of 'window shopping' on the weekend for your Corsa or have you already arranged to buy a particular Corsa from a particular buyer that your going to collect?

Bro, i just went onto my quote that i had with elephant.co.uk, it's at £1350 enit, this time i put my uncles adress as my main adress, and to the 'where is the car parked overnight' but, i wrote a lincoln postcode, and quote dropped to £1200. Im buzzing. Its on a nice little corsa too! Just gonna take out the quote on the weekend after i buy the car :biggrin:
Reply 18
Reading these forums all the comments are all balls insurance companies these days especially brokers will ask for licenses et cetera after you've paid the money so they can up the premium or cancellation fees they make more money cancelling Pollicis I s Tis must be crossed remember if you've had a policy cancelled you after declare it , never trust them whatsoever on always read the terms and conditions it is the law to have motor insurance but we are not protected insurance brokers especially
They suck you in with a cheap quote then you pay the money and then they will scrutinise everything
Then threaten cancellation fees are up in the premium but the insurance company may not know this is happening brokers cannot be trusted and pocket the money remember insurance companies insurance brokers Insurance services they are not the same
Remember today they can check your license View my license and then give them a check code
Motor insurance is the biggest scam that we were ever ever after buy
Some of the cancellation fees are mine blowing remember we are buying a non-tangible product they are not five minutes cancelling pollicis but we would struggle to get a washing machine back say to currys my advice would be as you speak to them on phone asked them very clearly what everything costs cancellation fees et cetera on what they need within 14 days they seem to be very very shady and then send an email all checks are made after you've paid the money On one policy I said Car was garaged and then Google Earth my property after I've paid the money
Insurance company's brokers especially I like police these days after you paid the money will scrutinise everything and if something is not right you will pay remember today insurance Brokers can do a lot of things in front of a computer screen just like us there is too much information on the is making honest people into dishonest people
Let's go back to the 60s and the 70s when the lady at the insurance company had to write to another company or I go downstairs into damp cellar to get some records which took time and effort those days of gone
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Remember you have got no claims bonus say for 10 years but you can only use this no claims bonus on one vehicle You cannot drive three vehicles at once but if you have got a speeding fine endorsements et cetera you are have to declare it to all three insurance companies on your vehicles let's say you have three vehicles motorbike car van if you get caught said by using a mobile while driving this will put your premium up £300 a year multiply this by three at £900 a year extra it is kept on your license on record for four years they the insurance company asked for the last five years so multiply that 900 x 4 It is spent after three years for topping up but Dvla keep it on record for four years that's nice of them what the insurance company asked for five years you just have to be honest for the last year I bet so we are all being scammed it's a stealth tax Big employer of people in the service sector let's put third party insurance on fuel so will pay for it as were driving our vehicles but this will put people on the dole
Insurance companies keep saying they're being scammed but they are not they are getting very clever premiums are not coming down remember the government takes 12% A tax on something that is the law to have same questions every how many seats has it got Year after year same old thing just a big eemployer of people and big profits The next government that will tackle this issue I would vote to just ready for a 2 million people on the dole that is were money is going employing people chasing business it's a total non-officiant way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending