Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S10 gym in Sheffield

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How busy does the gym get and would you recommend getting peak or off peak membership ?

How good are the facilities ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tremmel Smith)
    How busy does the gym get and would you recommend getting peak or off peak membership ?

How good are the facilities ?
    It does get very busy, so taking a peak membership would make sense if your classes are between 9am to 5pm. You can have a look at most of the facilities on the tour that's been uploaded on YouTube.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The gym has recently been refurbished and the facilities now are pretty great. The weights section is a good size and has a variety of machines (but can get busy at peak times, ie. mid-afternoons) and there is also a swimming pool with sauna and steam room.

If you have a full timetable then I would recommend a peak membership so you can go in the evenings (off-peak members have to be in the gym by 4pm), but if you have a nice timetable an off-peak membership will easily be sufficient.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The facilities are pretty damn good for the most part, there was still a disappointing absence of bench presses back in June, hopefully they will have changed that though. Otherwise they have 2 squat racks, 1 smith machine, 2 incline benches, 1 decline bench, 4/5 standard benches for the dumbell section, dumbells up to 50? kg I believe, a few spare bars lying around and quite a number of Hammer Strength iso setups. It has all the other standard isolation machines you'd expect to cater for the standard user, and more than enough treadmills/cross trainers/bikes/rowing machines. Additionally they've got dedicated areas for ab exercises and light dumbells.

I think I heard the swimming pool is pretty much going to be put out of commission (again) as they're totally ripping it apart and replacing it with a new pool or something to that degree. No idea when or for how long this will be though.

I have a pretty hectic timetable where i'm in every day (~22 hours contact time per week last year) but I still managed to fit in time within the off-peak hours. I doubt you'll need the on-peak membership.

Whilst the membership was definitely worth the money in the last 2 years, I feel it's a bit getting on the pricey side for this year. With the potential lack of a swimming pool it doesn't totally justify paying about £25 a month (you're only there for about 7 months in reality) for the early bird annual off-peak membership at £180. It would probably be a better idea to see if you can get it on a pay-as-you-go monthly off-peak basis, which WAS £20 a month back in May/June. If they still do this or not, I have no idea, but they definitely offer an on-peak at £28.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys i have around 14 contact hours this year and start early every day , what would you say is the best time to go the gym as i don't want to go when its busy and you have to queue for machines and stuff , so i think ill buy a peak membership . do you know how busy it gets in the evenings and stuff cheers

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 14, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.