The Student Room Group

Confusion: Has every school a buzzword?

Hey guys,

I really need help on that one...

Do all schools provide a buzzword or are only certain schools in the possession of such buzzwords because of certain agreements with UCAS?

My brother who wants to apply for an undergrad degree in the UK is coming from a small city in the EU and both of us never heard that our schools have a kind of buzzword...
Can anyone explain the whole buzzword thing to me?

What´s the difference in applying through a school in comparison to an application as an individual?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Many, many thanks to all of you guys...

Cheers

toni
Original post by to_ni
Hey guys,

I really need help on that one...

Do all schools provide a buzzword or are only certain schools in the possession of such buzzwords because of certain agreements with UCAS?

My brother who wants to apply for an undergrad degree in the UK is coming from a small city in the EU and both of us never heard that our schools have a kind of buzzword...
Can anyone explain the whole buzzword thing to me?

What´s the difference in applying through a school in comparison to an application as an individual?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Many, many thanks to all of you guys...

Cheers

toni

If your school regularly has people applying through UCAS, they'll probably have a Buzzword. If not, you may need to apply 'as an individual'. You should ask your headteacher or head of year (or admissions officer if you have one).
I think all schools have a buzzword your head of year should be able to tell you what it is.

The only real difference between applying through a school and applying as an individual is that as an individual you are responsible for finding a referee.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Picture~Perfect
I think all schools have a buzzword your head of year should be able to tell you what it is.

The only real difference between applying through a school and applying as an individual is that as an individual you are responsible for finding a referee.

OK, thanks a lot. I will ask about that tomorrow...

One more question. I am not quite sure how the whole stipend thing works.
I mean is it possible to get a full stipend for undergrad studies as an EU citizen...
At the UCAS form there is a section called student support where you have to choose a fee code (in my case 02) and then a section called student support arrangements: Where I have to choose: EU TEAM. I guess... What does this mean??? I thought I will need an offer from a university before I am able to apply for funding/stipends.... Consequently I am not able to provide complete information about my funding yet...

Thanks for all your kind help guys...

Best

toni
Reply 4
I think the buzz word is so that the school can monitor your progress and see your application so they can give advice and also so they can add your references.
Reply 5
thanks... and how many references can I add??? Especially if you´re applying as an individual
this is wrong - it has nothing to do with money you still have to pay
i think that the buzzword identifies you as a member of the school with that buzzword allowing you to skip having to fill in loads of details about the school. your head of 6th can then see your ucas application up until it is sent off by you and then check by them and sent off, after this you are the only person who can see it, so you should inform your school of any offers/rejections.
Reply 7
Original post by to_ni
thanks... and how many references can I add??? Especially if you´re applying as an individual

1 ref
Original post by to_ni
OK, thanks a lot. I will ask about that tomorrow...

One more question. I am not quite sure how the whole stipend thing works.
I mean is it possible to get a full stipend for undergrad studies as an EU citizen...
At the UCAS form there is a section called student support where you have to choose a fee code (in my case 02) and then a section called student support arrangements: Where I have to choose: EU TEAM. I guess... What does this mean??? I thought I will need an offer from a university before I am able to apply for funding/stipends.... Consequently I am not able to provide complete information about my funding yet...

Thanks for all your kind help guys...

Best

toni

I'm sorry but I have no idea what a stripend is and I'm not an intentional student so I don't have any experience of filling out that section of application as an EU student.
Reply 9
Original post by littlemissmidget123
this is wrong - it has nothing to do with money you still have to pay
i think that the buzzword identifies you as a member of the school with that buzzword allowing you to skip having to fill in loads of details about the school. your head of 6th can then see your ucas application up until it is sent off by you and then check by them and sent off, after this you are the only person who can see it, so you should inform your school of any offers/rejections.

Ok, thanks do you know how the whole scholarship process works out? Or are there no bursaries or scholarships for undergrads?

I always thought that you will get information about funding possibilities and scholarships as soon as an university makes an offer to you.... But there is a section is UCAS saying how do you plan to fund your studies.... Well, at this point I don´t know yet because I have no idea which scholarship schemes I am eligible for...

Any advise on this???

Best

toni
Reply 10
Original post by Picture~Perfect
I'm sorry but I have no idea what a stripend is and I'm not an intentional student so I don't have any experience of filling out that section of application as an EU student.

With stipend I meant a scholarship or bursaries, which you get in the case that you´re an extraordinary candidate .... Well, in order to fund your studies.

Is it true that you will get information about funding possibilities as soon as you got an offer from an university??? I think that´s also the case for international students right? Or do you have to pay on your own or through scholarships offered by your country?

BTW many thanks for your kind help.

Best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending