The Student Room Group

Hating my year abroad...teaching english

I graduated from university this summer and took on a teaching English course and have now landed a job abroad, but I am very unhappy! I have been here 10 days and have only just been at my job for the second day. The school I am with give me no help whatsoever with preparing lessons (which is bad bearing in mind I've just qualified), I speak very little of the language and lessons are expensive and worst of all my commute takes 1.5-2 hours each way.

Plus I am living with older refugees which isn't much fun as a 21 year old. I have met some others my age from the UK and Germany but I've only met them once off the internet, so who knows if we'll continue to hang out. On top of that, teaching English takes up a LOT of time. the girls I know who are au pairing or working as language assistants only have to work between 12-20 hours a week with no weekends. I'll probably have to teach for 20-25 hours AND spend a lot of time preparing for these lessons- so my work will be closer to 40-50 hours, take into account commuting time. If I don't get these hours then it won't really be a liveable wage.

Its always been my dream to come here and teach English and my family and friends are so proud of me and expectant. I hate the idea of coming back and just saying that I failed at it :frown: but I don't feel happy here. other options are au pairing, finding a new apartment (but that'll be more expensive-currently renting in a european capital city for £350p/m with no deposit, whereas most other places will want a contract plus deposit) or travelling round the country and then wwoofing (something ive always wanted to do) and then get a xmas temp job. i have January-march and June-September jobs working in central and south america so the rest of the year will be fine- just this bit.

Also I can't speak the language of this country and lessons are expensive! I also spend a lot of time alone websurfing or reading which is OK but I'd rather experience this with people- its the people that make the place after all.

LONG STORY CUT SHORT
*Been here nearly 2 weeks, not enjoying it, should I:
Reply 1
a) au pair
b) leave and travel then get a xmas temp job
c) stick it out and spend more of my savings (when really i wanna spend them on travelling)

(bear in mind that ive already spent £1000 on a teaching english couse but my mum paid this and she doesn't mind as long as im happy)
Reply 2
Stick it out such a massive change will take longer than 10 days to get used to. Google Dave's ESL cafe for better advice its a forum for english teachers abroad.
Original post by Anonymous
I graduated from university this summer and took on a teaching English course and have now landed a job abroad, but I am very unhappy! I have been here 10 days and have only just been at my job for the second day. The school I am with give me no help whatsoever with preparing lessons (which is bad bearing in mind I've just qualified), I speak very little of the language and lessons are expensive and worst of all my commute takes 1.5-2 hours each way.

Plus I am living with older refugees which isn't much fun as a 21 year old. I have met some others my age from the UK and Germany but I've only met them once off the internet, so who knows if we'll continue to hang out. On top of that, teaching English takes up a LOT of time. the girls I know who are au pairing or working as language assistants only have to work between 12-20 hours a week with no weekends. I'll probably have to teach for 20-25 hours AND spend a lot of time preparing for these lessons- so my work will be closer to 40-50 hours, take into account commuting time. If I don't get these hours then it won't really be a liveable wage.

Its always been my dream to come here and teach English and my family and friends are so proud of me and expectant. I hate the idea of coming back and just saying that I failed at it :frown: but I don't feel happy here. other options are au pairing, finding a new apartment (but that'll be more expensive-currently renting in a european capital city for £350p/m with no deposit, whereas most other places will want a contract plus deposit) or travelling round the country and then wwoofing (something ive always wanted to do) and then get a xmas temp job. i have January-march and June-September jobs working in central and south america so the rest of the year will be fine- just this bit.

Also I can't speak the language of this country and lessons are expensive! I also spend a lot of time alone websurfing or reading which is OK but I'd rather experience this with people- its the people that make the place after all.

LONG STORY CUT SHORT
*Been here nearly 2 weeks, not enjoying it, should I:

Please PM me. I've been in a similar situation.
Reply 4
I went to India to teach english and was miserable for the first 6 weeks. By the time 6 months had passed I was loving it.

My advice would be to stick it out at least for a couple of months. I would suggest that everything you have described is completely normal. I've not been settled in new jobs in the UK after 10 days let alone in a foreign country. Also in my experience the situations where you have the potential to gain the most involve hard work, especially at the outset. Give it time and it will get easier.

Good luck :smile:
I totally agree. I have just relocated from the UK to work abroad in the Middle East. Personally, Teaching was not my first choice, but as a foreigner, it was the easiest way to make Ok money. I work in a Primary School as a Teacher of English, and I must say I absolutely hate the job. I am stressed and cant face leaving the house in the morning. I cannot understand the language, which makes it slightly difficult, but being honest, the kids are rude, arrogant, have no respect for adults and just dont want to learn.

I work about 40-50 hours a week with teaching and lesson planning. The school offers no help and teachers must plan their own lessons. There is never any paper or working printers to make worksheets, and its just crap.

I would rather sweep the streets than do this or clean toilets. Children are just spoilt brats. Its a private school and their parents pay extortionate amounts every week to a school which I think, by its lack of resources and lack of help for teachers is providing a sub standard education.

I used to Teach at a secondary school in Inner London. It was a joy compared to Primary School. God help the adults of tomorrow, no respect. Just wait until they get into the world of work and have a few hard knocks.

So my final comment is I HATE TEACHING WITH A PASSION. I WILL LEAVE AS SOON AS I CAN FIND SOMETHING ELSE. BUT NOW I AM GOING TO SCHOOL TO COLLECT MY WAGES. To be honest, if the kids dont want to learn, I know this is childish, but I dont care about teaching them, or if they learn or not.

A throughly fed up teacher
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EVRIMSIMON15
I totally agree. I have just relocated from the UK to work abroad in the Middle East. Personally, Teaching was not my first choice, but as a foreigner, it was the easiest way to make Ok money. I work in a Primary School as a Teacher of English, and I must say I absolutely hate the job. I am stressed and cant face leaving the house in the morning. I cannot understand the language, which makes it slightly difficult, but being honest, the kids are rude, arrogant, have no respect for adults and just dont want to learn.

I work about 40-50 hours a week with teaching and lesson planning. The school offers no help and teachers must plan their own lessons. There is never any paper or working printers to make worksheets, and its just crap.

I would rather sweep the streets than do this or clean toilets. Children are just spoilt brats. Its a private school and their parents pay extortionate amounts every week to a school which I think, by its lack of resources and lack of help for teachers is providing a sub standard education.

I used to Teach at a secondary school in Inner London. It was a joy compared to Primary School. God help the adults of tomorrow, no respect. Just wait until they get into the world of work and have a few hard knocks.

So my final comment is I HATE TEACHING WITH A PASSION. I WILL LEAVE AS SOON AS I CAN FIND SOMETHING ELSE. BUT NOW I AM GOING TO SCHOOL TO COLLECT MY WAGES. To be honest, if the kids dont want to learn, I know this is childish, but I dont care about teaching them, or if they learn or not.

A throughly fed up teacher

I can sympathise 100%. Is there anyone, you can talk to. If not, feel free to talk to me. My adult classes keep me going.
Reply 7
Hi, I know you posted this a while ago so I don't know if you still have a dilemma and if not id be interested to see what you decided to do?

However I was just gonna say if you did decide to drop out there is no shame in that, theres no point wasting time on something you hate. I couldn't tell you what to do but ill tell u that last year I was an au pair for a girl who hated me (her parents got me to try and improve her behaviour I think, she was very against the idea) and after a fortnight I came home. No-one thought this was bad and I still took a lot of positive things from the experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest