The Student Room Group

Starting access to HE, too high hopes?

Hello everyone I'm starting my Access to HE humanities and social science course tomorrow. This course is like a second chance for me because I was such a failure in school and college. I'm actually so excited and can't wait to start! Lately I’ve been reading members stories about how they have gotten into great universities because they have done excellently in this course. I just keep on reading these stories as it gives me hope and inspires me. For about year I’ve been looking at the Politics, Psychology and Sociology course at Cambridge (now called Human, Social and Political sciences) on their website. I find these three subjects deeply fascinating and have a passion for them. I would like to study them at Cambridge University. I told some people this and they laughed at me, then I was thinking that I was out of my depth. But that doesn’t matter because that’s my life in a nutshell. Look at me and then look at the people that study at Cambridge. But I don’t want to go the rest of my regretting and thinking if I had just gone for it. Can you just be brutally honest with me, do I have shot? Are you going through the same thing as me? Can you please help me if you too are applying at Cambridge?

Just thanks for even reading this, I think I’m just looking for some support L how sad! Thats me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Justnobody
Hello everyone I'm starting my Access to HE humanities and social science course tomorrow. This course is like a second chance for me because I was such a failure in school and college. I'm actually so excited and can't wait to start! Lately I’ve been reading members stories about how they have gotten into great universities because they have done excellently in this course. I just keep on reading these stories as it gives me hope and inspires me. For about year I’ve been looking at the Politics, Psychology and Sociology course at Cambridge (now called Human, Social and Political sciences) on their website. I find these three subjects deeply fascinating and have a passion for them. I would like to study them at Cambridge University. I told some people this and they laughed at me, then I was thinking that I was out of my depth. But that doesn’t matter because that’s my life in a nutshell. Look at me and then look at the people that study at Cambridge. But I don’t want to go the rest of my regretting and thinking if I had just gone for it. Can you just be brutally honest with me, do I have shot? Are you going through the same thing as me? Can you please help me if you too are applying at Cambridge?

Just thanks for even reading this, I think I’m just looking for some support L how sad! Thats me.

Why not try? If you dont try you will never know, but look at other unis as well, to keep some options open, visit Cambridge and other unis as well, because its also about finding a uni you will be happy in for 3 years.

Ring Cambridge find out what they are looking for. Also look at your work and social activities and when writing your personal statement incorporate that as well.

Aim as high as you want, aslong as your willing to put in the work, there is absolutely nothing to stop you. Let those that dare to laugh at you be your driving force, prove them wrong.

If you want it, and you put the effort in, you stand as much chance as anyone else.

Go for it, and good luck x

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT15i
Original post by Justnobody
This course is like a second chance for me because I was such a failure in school and college.

Same as me, but I only got straight C's due to being such a dosser with no dedicated/decided career path. Ever since joining this forum it has given me slight little hope getting into uni.

But regarding your choice of uni, make sure you have I think (5?) uni's you are prepared to go to, as UCAS allows that many.

I started my access to HE today and I'm doing Maths, chemistry, and physics. I left school 3 years ago aswell, so I know it will be difficult. But anyhow if we work HARD HARD I'm sure it'l pay off... hopefully!
Reply 3
It's worth a shot, just don't get too disappointed if they decline you; there are other great universities out there.
I completed an access to he course on the same pathway as you and graduated from the university of York with a 2:1 in social work :smile: (the number one university in the country for my course when I started studying there :smile: )

Go for it and have no regrets :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Thankyou for the replies and I feel a bit more confident now. Also I started my course today and it wasn't at all bad as I thought.

:smile: xxx
Reply 6
Original post by Soule
Why not try? If you dont try you will never know, but look at other unis as well, to keep some options open, visit Cambridge and other unis as well, because its also about finding a uni you will be happy in for 3 years.

Ring Cambridge find out what they are looking for. Also look at your work and social activities and when writing your personal statement incorporate that as well.

Aim as high as you want, aslong as your willing to put in the work, there is absolutely nothing to stop you. Let those that dare to laugh at you be your driving force, prove them wrong.

If you want it, and you put the effort in, you stand as much chance as anyone else.

Go for it, and good luck x

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT15i

Thank you for those kind words and general awesomeness you know what I will ring them, though it’s so confusing I can’t seem to find a number for the course and there’s all these different colleges.So confused.
Reply 7
I'm unable to find the exact TomU thread but if you pop that into the search bar on TSR you will see many mentions of his Cambridge success story :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
It is possible, but don't stake everything on it. As universities tend to decide on an individual basis with Access courses the only way you will know is by contacting the university. Just give them a call and go from them. Also, don't take the first 'no' for an answer, try talking to more than one person at the university. I've heard of people failing to get into a university because they didn't push for the right answer enough when people with worse grades did, don't give up immediately, but also know when 'no' is definitely the answer.
Reply 9
Well I have rang up a few colleges, some have been helpful while others damn right rude. I rang up this college and the lady said why don't you look at the website, while another one had no clue and wasn't in rush to find out either. Anyway I'm looking at other unis
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I don't think you are being too ambitious. Just work hard and go for it. Don't get your hopes up too much and use your other 4 choices. I am not applying to Cambridge but to St Andrews. I am Scottish and the access course here is slightly different. I need to have an AAA profile. I also contacted them and I need a B in an additional higher course and to obtain standard grade maths equivalent. So I am taking them alongside. its going to be hard work, I hope I'm not taking on too much. Just make sure you have all the entry requirements as well as some extra curriculars

Here is the link to Tom's success thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.u​k/showthread.php?t=1401765&​;highlight=TomU+access Tom was a mature student who did Access and got into Cambridge
Reply 11
Hi!

I don't think you are being too ambitious at all - it's good to have ambition but don't get your hopes up. Cambridge, as I'm sure you are aware is notoriously difficult to get into.

This is what I am doing - we have 5 universities we can apply to through UCAS. I am picking the top 3 (for me) which at the moment are Holloway and two others, probably Lancaster being the other. These are Universities I know I can get into if I work hard enough at, but I am also being realistic that I may not get a shot. The other two places are going to go to good universities with good modules but have a bit of a lower criteria in terms of qualifications.

This means that if I do not get a place on the top three, I will hopefully get a place on one of the others.

Hope that helps :smile:
Just bear in mind that Oxbridge applications have to be in for October as opposed to January for all other places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending