The Student Room Group

Mathematics, Economics, Finance, Management, Statistics a combination or what?

Hi! :smile:
I am new here and I am a last year student in my school in Germany. In 2013 I would like to start studying in GB. Sadly, I am not yet sure what to study and that is why I would be happy to receive any help and advice from you.
I listed information about my interest and jobs I consider:

What I am good at

Mathematics

Quantiative Analysing/Thinking

Theoretical Intelligence

What I am bad at
· Practical Intelligence
· Creativity

What I am interest in
· Mathematics (with real world application - not for the fun off it :wink: )
· Statistics
· Quantitative Analysis
· Physics
· Economics
· Management and Business Studies
· Problem-Solving

Jobs(fields) I am interested in
· Consulting
· Finance
· Self-employment

(1) Maybe some of you got an advice for me what I should study in order to have opportunites to go into Finance or Consulting (I want to have both opportunities).

(2) In General I would like to know what I should study to get into Consulting (Management, Economics, Mathematics and then a MBA, Finance etc.)? What have consultants studied?

(3) I have the impression that in GB Economics is much more popular and renowed than Management (In Germany it is vice versa). Is my impression correct? Is it better to get a degree in Economics and maybe take a year of Management?

Thank's for any advice! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there, I am starting university this year as a first year so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I have a vague idea of how to answer your questions.

1. Usually for finance or consulting jobs, they prefer any degree which has a large numerical component. Usually listed are degrees in Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Computer Science, or Statistics. You can however get into consulting and finance jobs with any degree, but as you wrote that you are good at mathematics and quantitative thinking, I'd recommend one of these degrees. There are are forums for finance related careers and consulting related careers. Finance and Accountacy
Investment Banking and Consultancy

2. It would be best to look at the consulting forum which I have posted above, they know better than I do.

3. A degree in Economics is generally more prestigious than one in Management, you are correct.

It might be of interest to you that Warwick (one of the big 5 universities which is preferred for the banking industry) does a degree called MORSE - mathematics, operations research, statistics and economics. It is well suited for the careers that you are interested in.
Go for economics
Original post by 16dan2life
Go for economics

You can't say that without giving a reason though? I'd say maybe find a particular area of study you're interested in and that can give you a good chance of getting into consulting (all of the options you've given can practically get you into consulting by the way).

Quick Reply

Latest