Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What's the difference between a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and the compound water

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My science homework is to find out the difference between a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and the compound water. I then have to explain in terms of how the particles are arranged. I should include key words, such as: atoms, elements, compounds, bond and separate. Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not giving you the answer. I'm not that nice.

But, you may get bonus points if you can squeeze the terms 'homogenous' and 'hetrogenous'. Just sayin'.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you thought you'd get someone that has already past their GCSEs to do it for you, clever.

edit: I don't understand why people are so against this statement at least tell me why.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    hydrogen is made of H+ ions
    oxygen is made of O2- ions
    but h2O is made of H+ ions and OH- ions
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can't have at least an initial go at answering that question then I would assume you've paid absolutely no attention in class.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    under normal conditions exists as a H2 molecule which is two hydrogen atoms bonded together. under normal conditions Oxygen exists as O2 which is two oxygen atom bonded together. These are completely separate from each other. A water Molecule is a compound made of two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom bonded together.

Pretty simple explanation I assume is fine for GCSE level and uses all your key words. You should probably pay me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In a water/hydrogen mixture, all the water and hydrogen atoms have unprotected, pre-marital sex with each other. God is very angry.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    under normal conditions exists as a H2 molecule which is two hydrogen atoms bonded together. under normal conditions Oxygen exists as O2 which is two oxygen atom bonded together. These are completely separate from each other. A water Molecule is a compound made of two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom bonded together.

Pretty simple explanation I assume is fine for GCSE level and uses all your key words. You should probably pay me.
    Am I the only one that thinks that could ruin his education.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    In a water/hydrogen mixture, all the water and hydrogen atoms have unprotected, pre-marital sex with each other. God is very angry.
    Yet pure water is considered homogenous. I hear he's not keen on that either.

Goes to show you never can win with religion...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil4)
    hydrogen is made of H+ ions
    oxygen is made of O2- ions
    but h2O is made of H+ ions and OH- ions
    Water in not ionic. It is made from hydrogen and oxygen atoms, not ions.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Get 2 1 litre bottles. In one, fill with a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. In another, fill with tap water. Put a lit splint in both. You will definitely find out the difference.

P.S. Don't actually do this. It will explode.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)

thank you very much, much appreciated and i will elaborate on this!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paradoct)
    Water in not ionic. It is made from hydrogen and oxygen atoms, not ions.
    thank you very much!!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dennerers)
    Am I the only one that thinks that could ruin his education.
    thats not my responsibility
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    thats not my responsibility
    So your just in it for the money :eek:
    Well, i will make sure this child get the education he needs to become a successful, something, in a given profession.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dennerers)
    So your just in it for the money :eek:
    Well, i will make sure this child get the education he needs to become a successful, something, in a given profession.
    well you are a far better person than me. I salute you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Dennerers, it's a she , not a he.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R2497)
    Dennerres, it's a she , not a he.
    And how as i to know?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    you mean *was :L

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 13, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.