The Student Room Group

Can i resit exam as private candidate?

I received my results in august and i got in to the uni i wanted to, i'm happy, however looking at some future jobs relating to degree all state you need Grade B for Maths but i have C.

My Units have been cashed in but i just need to resit one exam to boost it upto a B so i can have a peace of mind knowing i meet some requirements.

Can anyone please tell me if its possible to resit just the one exam as a private candidate? even though grades are cashed in?
Please let me know soon!

All help appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mujahid_e3
Can anyone please tell me if its possible to resit just the one exam as a private candidate? even though grades are cashed in?
Please let me know soon!

All help appreciated

Yes, you just re-sit a unit and cash-in again. As long as you don't change your UCI (12 digit single letter code of the form 123450001234A) then it will be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
Yes, you just re-sit a unit and cash-in again. As long as you don't change your UCI (12 digit single letter code of the form 123450001234A) then it will be fine.

ok thanks, so do i just tell the centre the exam i want to sit and give them the UCI? Also if i mess up can i do a resit or is it just this one chance since i already have a grade?

Do you have a rough idea how much these private centres cost?

Thanks for the help
Reply 3
is it A level ???????????? well yes you can resit your exam as a private candidate several times ............ well cost depends on center and examination board like e.g. i did my A level biology as private candidate and i have to pay 13 pounds for each unit but for the same biology a grammar school was asking for 60 pounds
Reply 4
Original post by moniasajid
is it A level ???????????? well yes you can resit your exam as a private candidate several times ............ well cost depends on center and examination board like e.g. i did my A level biology as private candidate and i have to pay 13 pounds for each unit but for the same biology a grammar school was asking for 60 pounds

yeah a level maths.. I got a grade C this august, am now going uni.. The jobs i want to do after graduating require minimum B but i have C. So i want to resit just 1 module to push it up to a B.. Its possible right as someone said even though i cashed in?
As long as you can find a centre, you pay and you know what you've got to learn then this isn't a problem. I'm going to university in a few days with just AS-levels and I'm thinking of carrying on a couple to A2 whilst I'm there/in holidays. . .
Reply 6
Original post by Palatial Veranda
As long as you can find a centre, you pay and you know what you've got to learn then this isn't a problem. I'm going to university in a few days with just AS-levels and I'm thinking of carrying on a couple to A2 whilst I'm there/in holidays. . .

thanks any idea how much centers charge?
Reply 7

I was thinking of doing this, most centres in my area charge £99 per unit, quite costly if you ask me, so i thought forget it.

Well, the centre that I took my exams at allowed me to pay £28 per paper. The exam officer said to me that this was a concessionary rate (about half-price) as I previously studied at the college. So I'm guessing full-price would have been about £60ish per paper.
Reply 9

My college charges previous students the examiners fee plus £5 for postage and other admin costs regardless of how many exams they do. They don't accept any other private candidates. Try your old school/college first.
Reply 10
Original post by Tempzzz
I was thinking of doing this, most centres in my area charge £99 per unit, quite costly if you ask me, so i thought forget it.

Yeah checked few out and they are charging very high amounts, but some centres that 1 said £30.. So seems like you have to look hard to find a centre
Reply 11
Original post by Palatial Veranda
Well, the centre that I took my exams at allowed me to pay £28 per paper. The exam officer said to me that this was a concessionary rate (about half-price) as I previously studied at the college. So I'm guessing full-price would have been about £60ish per paper.

Wow, need to see what my college say.
Reply 12
Original post by gdunne42
My college charges previous students the examiners fee plus £5 for postage and other admin costs regardless of how many exams they do. They don't accept any other private candidates. Try your old school/college first.

Do most colleges accept students to comeback and resit? few in my area didnt last year, don't know about mind.. need to find out.

Thanks for the help
Reply 13
My 6th form charges £75 per paper for former students! So im just going to look around for candidate centres myself.
Reply 14
yes you can, just find an exam centre, there should be loads
Reply 15
Original post by moniasajid

Mines was £81 as I had to enrol at the college as well apparently....
Reply 16
ok thanks, so do i just tell the centre the exam i want to sit and give them the UCI? Also if i mess up can i do a resit or is it just this one chance since i already have a grade?

Do you have a rough idea how much these private centres cost?

For A level there is no limit to the number of times you can re-sit. The actual exam fees the board charges vary from about £12-16 for Maths, but centres add on an admin fee - private candidates can take up a lot of time and it's a sellers' market so this can be anything from £0 to £150. Anything under £30 a unit would be good value, but as a previous poster said, your old centre is the best place to start asking.

The exam board entry deadline for January exams is 21 October but centres are likely to work to earlier internal deadlines.
Hi guys,i gave my As exams this year in june...and i got DDE..i was very disappointed as it was unexpected..but anyways..since im going to be repeating in jan..and then a2 in june..im leaving my school and going for tutors..and ill probably be a private candidate for AS and A2 both..im ready for all of this but the only thing im worried about is that,will the universities accept me if im a private candidate? thats the only thing i wanted to know..specifically the universities in England..as ill be an international applicant from the Middle East..it would be lovely if somebody helped me out with information.
Reply 18
Original post by Data
For A level there is no limit to the number of times you can re-sit. The actual exam fees the board charges vary from about £12-16 for Maths, but centres add on an admin fee - private candidates can take up a lot of time and it's a sellers' market so this can be anything from £0 to £150. Anything under £30 a unit would be good value, but as a previous poster said, your old centre is the best place to start asking.

The exam board entry deadline for January exams is 21 October but centres are likely to work to earlier internal deadlines.

thanks for the help! :smile:
Original post by Data

Maybe you could answer my dilemma too?
After AS level I switched colleges and transferred OCR ums into AQA ums for business studies so that I could carry on with the subject at A2. I now have a B overall at A2 but want to bump it up to an A really and, seeing as my memory tells me that the first exam I sat (at my old centre) and knowing that I'm not allowed to resit that module at my new college with AQA, would I be allowed to go back to my former college as a private candidate to redo that exam? It's quite a confusing situation I know haha

Quick Reply

Latest