The Student Room Group

Need some advice. Not really sure what to do :(

Heyyy, I'm currently studying A-Levels at a local college (Got BCC in my AS levels but there's been some mistakes in marking in one of my subjects apparently, and will resit some papers so due to both of this my grades should hopefully go up!), hoping to go on to study Psychology at preferably Anglia Ruskin University at colchester. I live in Essex, so this is a local university. Wouldn't mind travelling to other places such as London.

Basically, I'm an extremely socially awkward person, who is not at all interested in things like drinking, drugs, clubbing, or being around loads of people all the time. The whole student life really doesn't appeal to me, so I feel like living there would make me feel down being around people that aren't like me, so I plan on commuting, if I do go to university at all. I wouldn't say I'm a geek, or a loner or anything like that as I was pretty popular in school, I'm just not the type of person who enjoys stuff like that.

I just don't know what to do :frown: is commuting a good idea? I can imagine meeting no friends or anyone to talk to there too, and would DREAD freshers week! No way would you find me going out clubbing.
Reply 1
Commuting is an option but despite the stereotypes, I don't think every person is going to be like that. There are several people on TSR who don't like drinking or clubbing and some people cannot drink alcohol for religious and/or health reasons. I am going to be a fresher from this Saturday so I cannot say for sure yet, however, there are people just like you.

There are lots of societies at most Universities that will not involve drinking if you don't want to. There you can find like-minded people and potential new friends. Really, I think the 'student life' is what you make it. If you want to drink, you can do that. If you want to volunteer/explore new places/find yourself/whatever as well as study the only way it will happen is if you get involved in something. One thing there will not be a lack of is people to talk to. Everyone is in the same situation and will be willing to help each other out.

One tip, if you feel a little awkward around people who are drinking and you don't mind drinking coke, no one will know that there isn't any vodka in it :wink: but really, I don't think it will be a huge issue.
Reply 2
Yeah, I know I was making a bit of a generalisation above as I'm aware there are probably going to be people similar to me I suppose. It's not that I'm totally against drinking, I don't mind drinking small amounts occasionally, but it often gives me panic attacks and don't really enjoy myself, so I tend to stay well away from it. Plus I find after the tipsy stage you just start feeling ill! To be honest, it's more of the clubbing scene that I actively dislike. I can not stand the music, the crowds of people, the dancing, or anything else related to it! It has never really appealed to me before and I highly doubt it ever will. I'm much rather a sort of staying in or going to the cinema person.

I just think that most people would find me strange for not liking it. In college, when I tell people I know that I don't go clubbing etc, they seem to be like ERR WHAT and look at me like I'm insane -.- maybe it's an Essex thing? Haha.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 3
Find a happy medium.
Reply 4
Original post by Phes
Yeah, I know I was making a bit of a generalisation above as I'm aware there are probably going to be people similar to me I suppose. It's not that I'm totally against drinking, I don't mind drinking small amounts occasionally, but it often gives me panic attacks and don't really enjoy myself, so I tend to stay well away from it. Plus I find after the tipsy stage you just start feeling ill! To be honest, it's more of the clubbing scene that I actively dislike. I can not stand the music, the crowds of people, the dancing, or anything else related to it! It has never really appealed to me before and I highly doubt it ever will. I'm much rather a sort of staying in or going to the cinema person.

I just think that most people would find me strange for not liking it. In college, when I tell people I know that I don't go clubbing etc, they seem to be like ERR WHAT and look at me like I'm insane -.- maybe it's an Essex thing? Haha.

I am the same tbh. I'll have a couple of drinks but I don't like feeling out of control. That's fair enough, I haven't properly tried clubbing yet (small town dweller) but I might in the future. However, there are plenty of other things to do. I think for freshers it would be nice to go somewhere where you hear each other so you can really get to know each other.
Perhaps a medium is a pub or a DVD and pizza night? Thing is, you don't know who your potential flatmates are. You may even find they are like you. If not, it doesn't matter. You will meet people on your course and generally by just going from place to place.

No problem - happy to help :h:
Reply 5
Yeah I'd be completely fine with a pub or staying in with mates. It just seems that literally everyone I know who has gone to university goes clubbing, and if I stayed in accommodation (which I probably won't do), I can just imagine everyone being like that too and I end up staying in alone when everyone else is out :/. I mean, I am a sociable person but I don't really want to do things that I'm not going to enjoy or not be myself.
Original post by Phes

In my uni we had a film club so there you go Of couse was also had A beer appreciation society (really)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending