The Student Room Group

Caught speeding on my driving lesson :/

Hey well today i had a driving lesson and well i THINK the camera caught me doing 35 mph in a 30 zone. My idiot instructor said he does not care because he is the one not facing the consequences. I just want to know what will happen to me and what it means for me regarding my licence and well will my insurance go up even more if/when i pass ? I am sure it's £60 and 3 points ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

I think you're allowed 6 points on a provisional, so you will probably still be OK license-wise. Yes your insurance will most likely go up now, and remain high when you pass your test. It will probably be a fairly substantial amount, next time pay more attention to your speed.

I wouldn't say your driving instructor is an idiot to be honest, he's quite right, it is your fault and has nothing to do with him really. He might have told you to slow down, but ultimately you're responsible for the vehicle on a public road.
Original post by biffyclyro27
I think you're allowed 6 points on a provisional, so you will probably still be OK license-wise. Yes your insurance will most likely go up now, and remain high when you pass your test. It will probably be a fairly substantial amount, next time pay more attention to your speed.

I wouldn't say your driving instructor is an idiot to be honest, he's quite right, it is your fault and has nothing to do with him really. He might have told you to slow down, but ultimately you're responsible for the vehicle on a public road.

Thanks really appreciate it i thought i my insurance would be billions :frown: ...so you have pretty much confirmed my suspisions that i have ****ed up big time :'( oh dear

Reply 3
Yes it's likely your insurance will be huge.

But to be honest i would get another instructor, if your learning to drive in his car and he doesn't realise your speeding, nor does he check your speed as you get to a camera, then he's not very good.
Original post by Teemo
Yes it's likely your insurance will be huge.

But to be honest i would get another instructor, if your learning to drive in his car and he doesn't realise your speeding, nor does he check your speed as you get to a camera, then he's not very good.

I know :frown: ... I mean yes fair enough i admit it's my fault and once i pass my test then it's tough luck but surly he should of warned me about my speed ? This is going to sound stupid and just a pathetic reason but the past few days i have not been paying full attention to anything since i have tried to overdose and am depressed as hell. I just don't know anymore this has pushed me over the edge i came home and broke down :frown:

Reply 5
Theres no point worrying about something that can't be changed, hopefully you've learnt from your mistake and just enjoy the rest if your lessons. Don't beat yourself up about it :smile:
There is also a chance that you haven't been caught out. Speed cameras are much more accurate than the speed dial on your car. Usually you're actually doing a few less mph than your car tells you, and you would have to do 34 ish to get clocked by a camera.

So unless you saw it flash, I wouldn't worry for the moment...
Original post by mia )
Theres no point worrying about something that can't be changed, hopefully you've learnt from your mistake and just enjoy the rest if your lessons. Don't beat yourself up about it :smile:

I have learned don't worry i will end up going too slow next time :tongue:

There is also a chance that you haven't been caught out. Speed cameras are much more accurate than the speed dial on your car. Usually you're actually doing a few less mph than your car tells you, and you would have to do 34 ish to get clocked by a camera.

So unless you saw it flash, I wouldn't worry for the moment...

Ahh really :redface: i hope it's true what you are saying :tongue:... Although i did not see the camera for long i never saw a flash ?

Original post by ManchesterUnited7_
Ahh really :redface: i hope it's true what you are saying :tongue:... Although i did not see the camera for long i never saw a flash ?

If you didn't see a flash, you're probably fine.

What the hell is up with this new style of TSR - confusing my eyes a little...
Reply 10
actually as you are a learner i believe the instructor is also at fault...
especially if the car is dual control
i'm pretty sure that when i asked my driving instructor when i was learning (only like 6 months ago) he said that if i got caught speeding in his car he would get points too
Reply 11
You don't have a license. The instructor is 'in control' of the vehicle, they are the 'supervising driver'. You're at fault for speeding, he's similarly at fault for letting you.

You're both goons for nearly getting caught, frankly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ManchesterUnited7_
Hey well today i had a driving lesson and well i THINK the camera caught me doing 35 mph in a 30 zone. My idiot instructor said he does not care because he is the one not facing the consequences. I just want to know what will happen to me and what it means for me regarding my licence and well will my insurance go up even more if/when i pass ? I am sure it's £60 and 3 points ?

How can you call your instructor an idiot.

You knew it was a 30 zone and you still chose to speed. It's completely your fault.
Reply 13
You get all the points and fines because if the instructor gets them he loses his license to instruct. That said, my instructor would never let me speed past a camera (dual controls). Also if you didnt see the camera flash then you're probably fine :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
You don't have a license. The instructor is 'in control' of the vehicle, it's his fault, his error.

This is not correct. The OP has a provisional licence (not license) and was in control of the vehicle, so it's the OP at fault.

However, OP, I would not worry at this stage. If you were speeding and were caught by the camera and the police decide to issue a notice of prosecution and your instructor receives it and can remember who was driving the car at the time and sends this information back to the police and they issue the notice to you instead, then you can worry about it (not that there's anything you can do about it then, mind you).
My instructor always allowed me to go 5 mph above the speed limit, so doing 35 at a 30 zone isn't a big deal afaik. You should be fine OP, which is probably why your instructor was so nonchalant but wanted to scare you nonetheless so you'd be careful in the future.
Reply 16
You would have noticed it flash.

If he knew OP was speeding, he could have used the breaks on his side.
Hang on. The OP isn't insured on the driving instructors car. How on earth can they be traced from the registration obtained in the camera shot? It doesn't make any sense. The only person registered as driver of the vehicle is the instructor.
35 is nothing, i doubt you'l get done for it anyway. Your allowed to be like 1 or 2 mph over the limit, and plus your speedo is like 2mph backward, so it shouldnt be too bad. You got away with it

Latest

Trending

Trending