The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Enfalas
I'm going to be applying for uni next year, and I'm seriously considering applying for German and Russian (ab-initio) but that would mean dropping Spanish (at most unis you can only do two..).

Any thoughts?

I know that it would be more fun to do the Russian but I don't know about job prospects in the future...

According to the UCL prospectus, "The prospects for using Russian in a career have never been so good. Leading figures from government and business regularly stress the need for well-qualified Russianists..." It is one of the official languages of the UN, a little unusual, and quite simply a very important and interesting language.
Reply 2
Let's not forget that every UCL course prospectus probably states that the career prospects for that course are good - using arguments at hand.

Now, I do however believe that the prospects for Russian are good. Russia is a) an emerging market (just use the explosion of numers of IKEA stores) and b) close to China and c) has massive natural resources.
Reply 3
That's reassuring... Thanks people. I think I might go with that then...
Exactly - studying Russian also sets you apart from a lot of other graduates who are all immediately choosing to study French and German together. It's something totally different + SO fascinating as well...
Reply 5
Enfalas
That's reassuring... Thanks people. I think I might go with that then...

Russian is the way forward:smile:
I'll be applying for Spanish and ab initio Russian so I might be seeing you:p:
Also Russian is one of the languages in high demand from government agencies like the security services (i.e. MI5/6) and diplomatic services.
Russian is cool:cool:
Reply 6
I'll probably be applying for German and ab-initio Russian.

I'm thinking that it would be quite easy to get my Spanish up to the same standard via courses at the "Instituto Cervantes"...
Reply 7
jb_sweden
Let's not forget that every UCL course prospectus probably states that the career prospects for that course are good - using arguments at hand.

Now, I do however believe that the prospects for Russian are good. Russia is a) an emerging market (just use the explosion of numers of IKEA stores) and b) close to China and c) has massive natural resources.

Actually, no, they don't say that for French...

That's what I meant but I couldn't be bothered to word it bc I knew you'd jump in and be all smart-arse. :smile:
Reply 8
:suitd:
Reply 9
jb_sweden

Isn't IKEA a Swedish brand?
Reply 10
jellybones

Yes, but he was stating that the explosion of IKEA stores in Russia was an example of Russia's growth :wink:
Reply 11
Ahhhh...
Reply 12
This is a little irrelevant albeit amusing... lol
Reply 13
jellybones

Technically... not necessarily.

I'm not entirely sure about the ownership structure - but I know it's quite complicated and involves companies in the Netherlands, a charitable fund in the Netherlands and some organisation on the Netherlands Antilles.

Some say it's so bc Ingvar Kamprad wants to avoid IKEA being acquired. But really, given that it a) avoids Sweden and b) it's the Netherlands and more importantly c) the Netherlands Antilles are involved... it's quite obvious one of the major reasons is to avoid Swedish tax.

But in the end... Ingvar Kamprad owns it, just not in the conventional meaning.
Reply 14
Enfalas
This is a little irrelevant albeit amusing... lol

jb_sweden does have a tendancy to get a bit irrelevant. I find it quite endearing actually...
Reply 15
Ludivine
jb_sweden does have a tendancy to get a bit irrelevant. I find it quite endearing actually...

And this is soo relevant :rolleyes:

I (very much) like the sentiment though.
i'm in the same situation as you. i love german and i do french too, so obviously i wana keep them both up but most of all i wana start a new language. but i dont really want it to be another romance language and all uni courses for three languages seem to be with spanish italian or portguese :frown: so do i drop french or compromise on the third language :frown:
Reply 17
There's MSL at Nottingham in which you can do 3 languages i.e. 2 languages + beginners russian, spanish etc. or 3 languages studied at A level. You could also do subsids in another lang. which is what I did. My degree is French & German, but I did 20 credits of Russian in the first year.
S-J
There's MSL at Nottingham in which you can do 3 languages i.e. 2 languages + beginners russian, spanish etc. or 3 languages studied at A level. You could also do subsids in another lang. which is what I did. My degree is French & German, but I did 20 credits of Russian in the first year.

Wow that's really good!!
I think with the German & Russian course I want to do, I can do credits in Czech and Dutch inside the German & Russian cause they're similar apparently which should be good!
When you do a JT Hns course is there space for electives, and if there is can you just choose to do another language - this is just cause I'm interested in Arabic and all :smile:??
Thanks if ya know :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending