The Student Room Group

Open days

I planning to attend an open day on 29th September at university of Sussex and/or Royal Holloway and I have a few questions about open days. First of all do you think that it would be possible to visit both unis in a day? They are about two hours apart by train.

I know that different universities might run open days in a different manner, but I'm trying to get a picture of what usually happens. :biggrin: So how flexible is the program generally? Is it all scheduled or can you decide what you want to see and when? For example if I want to see the psychology department would I be able to do that even if I arrived later or do they expect you to be able to do it at a specific time during the day? Also when do unis usually send the details about the program of the day? I'm a bit worried about not being able to plan things ahead.

Royal Holloway's site mentions that you can chat with admissions representatives so do you think that they would be able to give me information on the entry requirements since I'm not from the UK or would it be better to just email the admissions office?

Any advice how I should spend my time or other tips that would help me to make the most out of the visit?
when I was going to uni open days it used to take all day and usually it would go like that they would give you a little talk about how cool it is to study there this will be followed by guided tour that will show you most of the facilitates including the bar. then usually you will have a room with a representative of each course and often you will also have a halls visit once you put down on Ucas that your are intrested in then and the course you want you will oftan have a second open day this is based mare strictly on the coarse you will here about the syllabus how much class work you are expect to do this may also have a halls vist THINK very carefully about here you want to go if it didn't feel right don't go to that uni
Reply 2
Original post by BIJ0U
I planning to attend an open day on 29th September at university of Sussex and/or Royal Holloway and I have a few questions about open days. First of all do you think that it would be possible to visit both unis in a day? They are about two hours apart by train.

I know that different universities might run open days in a different manner, but I'm trying to get a picture of what usually happens. :biggrin: So how flexible is the program generally? Is it all scheduled or can you decide what you want to see and when? For example if I want to see the psychology department would I be able to do that even if I arrived later or do they expect you to be able to do it at a specific time during the day? Also when do unis usually send the details about the program of the day? I'm a bit worried about not being able to plan things ahead.

Royal Holloway's site mentions that you can chat with admissions representatives so do you think that they would be able to give me information on the entry requirements since I'm not from the UK or would it be better to just email the admissions office?

Any advice how I should spend my time or other tips that would help me to make the most out of the visit?

I'm afraid you'll have to pick one or the other, an open day lasts all day. The day will be scheduled, there will be talks and things throughout the day that you will miss if you go to see the other uni. Subject talks will usually be in the afternoon, and general talks in the morning usually.
If you chat to the actual admissions reps then they should be able to answer your questions.
You may not get a schedule until you turn up.
I think you could manage to see both departments, and have a chat with some of the staff, but you won't be able to go to all the talks, or go on any tours or anything. If it's your only chance to see the unis, then you'll just have to make it work, really. I would go and see the one you prefer first, though, incase you don't get a chance to see the other one properly.
Reply 4
Thanks for your comments. I actually managed to find more information on the sites of both universities (although I had to go trough google, never came across this stuff directly on the sites) and Royal Holloway published their programme already so based on that I should be able to go to both open days. I don't really have other opportunities to visit these universities and I don't mind if I miss some of the stuff, I just want to get some kind of a picture of what the universities are like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending