The Student Room Group

Dilemma - possible of a straight Masters in future?

Hello,

Im currently in a dilemma, currently deciding if to go for an undergrad or to proceed straight to work. I currently have the following options

1) take a bank loan, get my bachelors degree and then go work
2) i have a job offer from a fortune 500 company with starting salary aprox 1/2 of what a degree holder will get. I was hoping i could work for aprox 5 years whilst taking a professional qual(ACCA?) and then using this as a basis for application to a MSC/Mphill program without an undergrad degree:s-smilie:

Im really leaning towards (2) as this would mean i would have more working experience, remain debt free and have a masters, but is it even possible to go for a masters program in a well known University(e.g CASS/LSE/Warwick/Others) without an undergrad?:confused:(to boost my CV)

PS:im not sure where this thread should go but feel free to move it to a more appropriate section if needed
Reply 1
No, a masters is a graduate qualification and you will not be a graduate. All masters courses generally state a degree as a requirement.
Do you not get student loans?
You need an undergraduate degree in order to do a Masters.
I would advise for to do option number 1, however, as a small point, you can get an undergraduate degree tagged on if you do ACCA; you'd get BSc Applied Accounting from Oxford Brookes if you do a research project after you've completed your ACCA. That said, I'd highly doubt that'd get you into Masters at top unis.
Reply 4
Some universities will allow you on to a Masters with work experience as opposed to an undergrad - this will generally be stipulated on their website though. Could you not get the work experience but do a part time degree with the Open Uni alongside it? Or something where it's the best of both?
Reply 5
Original post by Shelly_x
No, a masters is a graduate qualification and you will not be a graduate. All masters courses generally state a degree as a requirement.
Do you not get student loans?

Original post by SpicyStrawberry
You need an undergraduate degree in order to do a Masters.

I did abit of research..most mba programs will allow admission of non undergrad degree holders into their MBA programs based on GMAT and work experience (e.g oxford, northwestern/kellog, cambridge)..etc...I just cant seem to find people with such experiences

Original post by aeterno
Some universities will allow you on to a Masters with work experience as opposed to an undergrad - this will generally be stipulated on their website though. Could you not get the work experience but do a part time degree with the Open Uni alongside it? Or something where it's the best of both?

I doubt i could juggle a DL degree together with work and do well on the degree. its the norm to work long hours at the firm that has offered me a job.
Reply 6
Original post by darknessy
I doubt i could juggle a DL degree together with work and do well on the degree. its the norm to work long hours at the firm that has offered me a job.

In that case, I'd suggest you get in touch with the universities you're interested in doing a Master's with and ask them exactly what kind of experience they're looking for that would give you the same chance of entry on to the programme as someone with a BA/BSc (provided, of course, that they've already stated in the entry requirements that they'll accept non-traditional students).
Reply 7
It's very rare to get an offer of a master's without an undergrad; the ones I've come across would generally require a lot more than 5 years' work experience, and there are a lot more hoops to jump through. If you're looking at a 5- year timeframe, it's very possible to do an undergrad degree through distance learning over that time frame, even with long working hours. It does take a lot of discipline, but you will have far more options for a master's after that then than the (small) hope that your work experience will be enough to get you in.

As aeterno said, best to contact the unis you're interested in to see what kind of work experience they'll look for. Just having a brief look at some of the ones you mentioned, Cambridge MBA has an undergrad as a requirement, and the Oxford one sounds like the work experience equivalent is probably much more responsibility than you will have had within 5 years.
Reply 8
Weird..my thread got moved but my latest reply vanished

EDIT: it got stuck under mod approval..Any idea why this happens?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by sj27
It's very rare to get an offer of a master's without an undergrad; the ones I've come across would generally require a lot more than 5 years' work experience, and there are a lot more hoops to jump through.

Im actually hoping to find more info on people who has done this before..or has considered taking this path, and what was their ultimate decision

Original post by sj27

Cambridge MBA has an undergrad as a requirement, and the Oxford one sounds like the work experience equivalent is probably much more responsibility than you will have had within 5 years.

Almost every MBA out there will state that they require a degree but most of them will waive it off..Im having difficulties finding more info on successful applicants that are not super rich or whose parents own huge companies..

For Cambridge MBA..
http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/faqs/index.html

Would you consider my application if I have not got a degree?

Our programme is intellectually demanding: in twelve months you will have to cover what most US schools teach over two years. We will consider applicants without a degree, but we will usually ask you to provide evidence that you have the academic ability to cope with the intellectual demands of the programme. Such evidence might include a good, well-balanced GMAT score and strong references from tutors on other academic courses that you have taken.

Another other feedback would be great
Reply 10
Yeah. Not sure how you prove academic ability without an undergrad. I doubt ACCA will be enough.
Reply 11
Original post by sj27
Yeah. Not sure how you prove academic ability without an undergrad. I doubt ACCA will be enough.

How about

ACCA + 5 years of work experience - Apply for MS in Accounting?
CFA + 5 yr work exp - Apply for MS Finance?
Reply 12
Original post by darknessy
How about

ACCA + 5 years of work experience - Apply for MS in Accounting?
CFA + 5 yr work exp - Apply for MS Finance?

The accounting route might be possible, finance dunno - depends where you want to go. None of these routes actually equip you with any research skills, and most masters degrees have a dissertation. Again, suggest you will get better info on your chances by contacting directly the unis you are interested in.

Also note that as I understand the current requirements for enrolling in CFA, you need undergrad or 4 years work experience before enrolling. I think the minimum time period you can get a CFA in is 18 months so you are already beyond 5 years on this route, and that is assuming your 4 years tallies perfectly to just before the first exam you can write (Dec or June for CFA 1).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending