Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bands/Artists you can never quite understand the fuss over..

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we all have these moments. You keep hearing great things about a particular artist or group from every corner of the earth. You become excited, you check them out and...their music just doesn't do anything for you. They might have one or two songs you sort of like, you might be able to see why other people can like them but for you personally...nothing. This doesn't have to be limited to current artists or anything, maybe your one of those people who has never really warmed to The Beatles or Michael Jackson?

I have a few of these, the most obvious one that springs to mind right now is Oasis. Yeah I'll sing along to Wonderwall or Don't Look Back In Anger if I'm a bit squiffy in a club but I can't bear them at home with the headphones on.

For more modern music: The xx. I get that they create really atmospheric, mature and generally cool music but...I just find myself bored when I listen to them =/ Seems a shame.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Amy Whinehouse if you mean a living person Justin Beber (spelling) Oh how I hate him.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much everyone in the charts..

Even Trey Songz is starting to sell out, with "Simply amazing"... hmm
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    DRAKE.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    nirvana they look dirty and smelly and sounded horrendous - could never understand what he was trying to say and the 'music' was just bad chords and terrible distortion

why the negs, if you disagree argue and back it up
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    emilie sande. i dont like the tone of her voice, and i was really surprised that she was chosen to perform numerous times at the olympics opening and closing ceremonies. they certainly could have done better than her nasaly, flat vocals!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rihanna, that is all.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lil' Wayne and is "wondrous" talent.

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    always thought the beatles were mundane, boring.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bieber and one direction, they both p**s me off :mob:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorB)
    Lil' Wayne and is "wondrous" talent.

HAHAHAHAHA that well made me laugh!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rattusratus)
    nirvana they look dirty and smelly and sounded horrendous - could never understand what he was trying to say and the 'music' was just bad chords and terrible distortion
    Nirvana sprung to my mind when I created this.

For the longest time I would have agreed with you but very recently I've started to come around to their charms. Perhaps try and stick with them and embrace the noise rather than dismiss it. Then if you're feeling really daring, try some Sonic Youth...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallonSmith)
    Rihanna, that is all.

Her voice annoys the hell out of me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the xx. I like the first five tracks from their album but then it just seems to wither away and die totally, and their new stuff is the same as the latter half of their debut. alt-J are similar in style but a lot better, in my view.

I don't really understand the fuss over The Vaccines. I just don't think they're very good at all. A few of their songs are good sing-alongs but I would never listen to them on my own.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_Huong)
    Her voice annoys the hell out of me.
    Loved her old stuff like Unfaithful but now whenever I go to a club it's as though the DJ dj has her cd on repeat the whole night. Don't see why she has to get practically get naked to promote herself, it's unappealing and degrading. Remember the time when she said she forgave Chris Brown for beating her up, what a great role model she is to women out there... :rolleyes:

(sorry went on a bit of a rant there!)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Escape the Fate - I tried. I really tried. Sadly, I never really grew to like them that much and I don't hear their songs at rock night as often as I used to so maybe they're not so popular any more.

Babyshambles - I like most of the 'similar artists' (both the ones my friends say are similar and last.fm) but I just don't like them. I find some of their songs okay but there's nothing outstanding.

The Locust -

EDIT: Would be nice to know which of the three people disagree with me putting down. I never understood why people give pos/neg rep when people are just stating what bands they like and dislike though. I thought the point of this was that people are going to have differing views.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Muse. Never got into them at all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kurt Cobain, and Dave Grohl they're ok, but i can think of much better guitarists and musicians out there
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallonSmith)
    Loved her old stuff like Unfaithful but now whenever I go to a club it's as though the DJ dj has her cd on repeat the whole night. Don't see why she has to get practically get naked to promote herself, it's unappealing and degrading. Remember the time when she said she forgave Chris Brown for beating her up, what a great role model she is to women out there... :rolleyes:

(sorry went on a bit of a rant there!)
    am i the only one who doesn't find her attractive at all?!:confused:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Muse for me. I just really don't like them, I have no idea why. Some of my friends go crazy over them, but I just get bored when I listen to their songs!
    Also Ben Howard. People were pretty obsessed with him recently, but I never liked him particularly. I like music similar to his, I listen to quite a lot of stuff from the same sort of genre, but I could never voluntarily sit through more than one of his songs :dontknow:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.