The Student Room Group

Didn't get into University :(

Hi all. I did ICT, Politics and History as my A Level subjects. I got a C in ICT, D in History and a U in Politics, this all added upto only 140 UCAS points, unfortunately this wasn't enough for me to get into University. I've even been rejected by my college aswell to do another year to get extra ucas points for some reason, all other colleges are too far for me to travel to every day. I wouldn't mind doing a Foundation course at university but I couldn't find one in my local University. My dad wont let me go out of Nottingham, well the furthest he will let me go is to Derby University. I feel so disappointed in myself that I've let my dad and everyone down, I don't what to do. any advice? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Establish what you are good at then aim at a career which emphasises those skills.
Have you thought about self teaching A Levels?
Have you considered university may not be for you?

There are plenty of other options out there: http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Or ...... look at Open University - no qualifications needed at all. You could do just one unit or a Certificate p/time and rethink applying to a conventional Uni in a year or two. See : http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/index.htm
privet candidate centers might be a good option

edit why the neg?
(edited 11 years ago)
1) Enrol into a college and resit those subjects. You could apply as a private candidate and self teach yourself but seeing as your grades in Politics and History are low, I think you'll need some guidance.

2) You could go to Derby for the year, do really well, and transfer to another university? Surely you'd have proven to your dad that you're worthy of some freedom?

3) You could do a foundation course, transfer or stay on. Good universities normally offer foundation courses. Yes it's not what your dad wants but you're living own your life - not his. Do what you feel is best. Prove to him that you know what you're doing.

4) As Agent Suicide said, academics may not be for you. There are so many options for you. Don't believe all the TSR "A*s or death" malarkey.

I'm not sure if going to a better university will cover up your A-level grades, so to be safe, I think it's best you resit them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
If you really do want to go to university, why don't you home school yourself for a year?
Have you tried ncn? Right in the middle of notts and they always have spaces for everything! (or is it there you went before?) you can get cheap bus passes too.
Apprentiship?
Reply 10
Original post by C.Ronaldo7
Hi all. I did ICT, Politics and History as my A Level subjects. I got a C in ICT, D in History and a U in Politics, this all added upto only 140 UCAS points, unfortunately this wasn't enough for me to get into University. I've even been rejected by my college aswell to do another year to get extra ucas points for some reason, all other colleges are too far for me to travel to every day. I wouldn't mind doing a Foundation course at university but I couldn't find one in my local University. My dad wont let me go out of Nottingham, well the furthest he will let me go is to Derby University. I feel so disappointed in myself that I've let my dad and everyone down, I don't what to do. any advice? Thanks.

What was it you applied to do at university?
Reply 11
University is sooo overrated.
You're better off working in a sector you're interested in and trying to work your way up. I know loads of unemployed graduates saying university was a waste of time and money..
Get a vocational qualification. You will earn a lot more money that way compared to struggling to get into a bad university.
Hi,
Sorry to see you couldn't get in but there is a foundation year at Derby University:
http://www.derby.ac.uk/foundation-programme-combined-studies
Reply 15
It's university, why will Dad not let you move? And why are you listening to him?

I know that if my Father told me that I couldn't leave to go to a good uni, I'd just leave anyway.

I travel about 30 miles to get to my college. I have to leave ridiculously early to get the train in time, but it is worth it.
I'm going to another country to go to uni.

And why will your college not let you, results or attitude?

Seriously just find a better college. My college always do resits if you need to improve grades.
Reply 16
Original post by blahblahblah1
Have you tried ncn? Right in the middle of notts and they always have spaces for everything! (or is it there you went before?) you can get cheap bus passes too.

Yeah mate I'm applying there tomorrow :smile:

and guys I must do university, I don't want to be a let down to my family.

good luck :smile:
Just apply for colleges, some colleges might not accept you now because its too late (thats what happened to my friend).

Also why did you get those grades? I don't mean it in a bad way but if you didn't revise that hard then its understandable all you gotta do is put work into it and should be able to reach the high grades :smile:

That is genuinely sad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending