The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Ordinary degree back to honours?

I'm currently in my second year doing business economics but unfortunately failed 3 exams due to circumstances and got downgraded to ordinary degree.
Is there any way I can get an honours degree back or repeat a year to do better? Has anyone ever done this before?

It feels terrible, I can't even tell my parents and I feel trapped like I can't do anything to save my life and get back on track.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by xhfsk
I'm currently in my second year doing business economics but unfortunately failed 3 exams due to circumstances and got downgraded to ordinary degree.
Is there any way I can get an honours degree back or repeat a year to do better? Has anyone ever done this before?

It feels terrible, I can't even tell my parents and I feel trapped like I can't do anything to save my life and get back on track.

Thanks

Speak to your Personal Tutor. If you don't get the answer you're looking for from them, or want independent advice, get in touch with an Education Advisor in the Students' Union (http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/helpadvice/education/) :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I know exactly what you feel like, you have to tell your parents you have to tell someone no matter how hard you think it is.
I'm not going to lie if your academic appeal is over, you need to accept your situation and start planning on what next.
Times are hard but its not impossible certainly possible to get what you want.
Reply 3
I feel like this too.

I was studying for a four year degree but kept missing exams due to my mental illness. Now I'm taking a leave of absence but have to return to an ordinary degree. I feel like my life has just fallen down the drain and don't know whether I can upgrade or whether all the years of studying is worth it at all!
Reply 4
Original post by rose-star
I feel like this too.

I was studying for a four year degree but kept missing exams due to my mental illness. Now I'm taking a leave of absence but have to return to an ordinary degree. I feel like my life has just fallen down the drain and don't know whether I can upgrade or whether all the years of studying is worth it at all!

First things first, if you're not already speaking to a mental health adviser or a counselor, take the time to make an appointment :smile:

There are lots of ways you can go from Ordinary back to Honours, but without knowing where you've appealed, sought help, etc already, I can't really advise. Make an appointment with the Student Advice Centre in the Students' Union - independent, impartial, confidential advice, and these guys really do know all the routes to go down http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/helpadvice/education/.

Appealing aside, it's worth noting that an ordinary degree still is a huge achievement and demonstrates a wide range of skills, experiences, and knowledge. I know two students personally who graduated with ordinary degrees and are doing very well for themselves, better than many Honours graduates :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending