The Student Room Group

Too old to be a nurse?

:smile:Hiya
?being of rather advanced years (45 - I know, I can't believe it myself!:biggrin:). I have become rather disenchanted with my current employment (T.A in a primary school); no opportunity for advancement.

Can anyone tell me how likely it would be for me to be accepted on a nursing degree course
?

I have a degree in Psychology and Counselling and a Diploma in Therapeutic counselling (Adults) and Counselling Children and Adolescents. I have worked voluntarily as a bereavement counsellor, and regularly take CPD courses related to my job. My work history is rather sketchy as I am a mother of 3 little darlings
:redface:.

trying to keep it short and sweet - Thankyou for any replies xxx lou
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi

I see no reason why you couldnt, A friend of mine started his nursing degree at 45 with only an access qualification, go for it, I am 32 and have 4 little ones and cant wait to start in a weeks time x
Reply 2
Yes, there are plenty of people over the age of 40 enrolled on my course :smile: it sounds like you have lots of interesting experience though it may be worth contacting the Universities you're interested in as they may want you to take an access course if you haven't been in education for a while.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by anna price
Hi

I see no reason why you couldnt, A friend of mine started his nursing degree at 45 with only an access qualification, go for it, I am 32 and have 4 little ones and cant wait to start in a weeks time x

I think I will give it a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained. thank you for the reply Good look with your studies xxx Lou:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Soph.Jade
Yes, there are plenty of people over the age of 40 enrolled on my course :smile: it sounds like you have lots of interesting experience though it may be worth contacting the Universities you're interested in as they may want you to take an access course if you haven't been in education for a while.

Good luck :smile:

I completed my degree in 2008, you are right; I will contact the local Uni (Chester) to check this out. thank you for your reply xxxlou:smile:
Reply 5
Are you CRAZY?! You're never too old to do anything let alone a career change. My colleague is 43 and she works at the A&E as part of the crash team and she went and did an access course then went to university to study to be a nurse. She's a fantastic nurse as well! Absolutely go for it. You only live once and just get that career you deserve :smile: I'm starting my nursing career next year when I have enough money to fund.
Why bloody not. Life experience is so much more valuable in the health sciences - go for it :smile: Best of luck!
I know lots of nursing and midwifery students in their forties - nothing wrong with it, if you have the drive, go for it!
Reply 8
Original post by weesey
:smile:Can anyone tell me how likely it would be for me to be accepted on a nursing degree course

A friend of mine is one year into a nursing degree and she's older than me - and I'm 51.

I'd say go for it and the very best of luck if you do.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by gloskeith
A friend of mine is one year into a nursing degree and she's older than me - and I'm 51.

I'd say go for it and the very best of luck if you do.

Hi

Im new to the board.

My hairdresser was thinking of doing a mental health nursing course but decided to do the HNC health and social care course with me as she decided at least she could get a toe in the health profession so your comment would be good news to her.
what uni is your friend going to?
i will tell she should get in touch with that uni.
Reply 10
Age discrimination is largely illegal under the equality act 2010. So on that basis 45 is not "too old"

Never worked out why people have such a complex regarding age. Health allowing you are never too old to do anything if you put your mind to it.

If you have a dream just go for it - age is irrelevant
Reply 11
Original post by marada
Age discrimination is largely illegal under the equality act 2010. So on that basis 45 is not "too old"

Never worked out why people have such a complex regarding age. Health allowing you are never too old to do anything if you put your mind to it.

If you have a dream just go for it - age is irrelevant

Unfortunately the complex comes because of the bad PR ageing receives. I do agree with you you should never be too old to do anything and i would say having a mixture of ages in any area of life is a positive for our society.
Reply 12
45 is certainly NOT 'too old' to be making a change of direction. Your retirement age must be 67 ? (more probably as governments keep extending it), so if you qualify by the time you are 50 you will still have near enough 20 years to give.

Only thing I would say is that nursing is a demanding course and depending on what type of nurse you become the job has the potential to be long hours and physically demanding.

You will need some relevant work experience in order to apply at most universities, so if you don't already have it then get some! - Even something like a p/t job in a care home setting would look good on your UCAS application.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by weesey
:smile:Hiya
?being of rather advanced years (45 - I know, I can't believe it myself!:biggrin:). I have become rather disenchanted with my current employment (T.A in a primary school); no opportunity for advancement.

Can anyone tell me how likely it would be for me to be accepted on a nursing degree course
?

I have a degree in Psychology and Counselling and a Diploma in Therapeutic counselling (Adults) and Counselling Children and Adolescents. I have worked voluntarily as a bereavement counsellor, and regularly take CPD courses related to my job. My work history is rather sketchy as I am a mother of 3 little darlings
:redface:.

trying to keep it short and sweet - Thankyou for any replies xxx lou
:smile:

Hi Weesey as other forum posters have already stated,i dont see your age being a problem.I would have thought the opposite,most universities who offer health care degrees welcome mature students not just for their life experience but what they can offer.you have a good grounding academic wise as well as workwise why whouldnt there consider you.
As Big V has suggested you might need to possiable gain relevant work experience in a health care setting before applying.It would be benefitical for you and would make your UCAS application much stronger.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I have just been to the open day at Chester university and feel so excited. Friendly, approachable and informative, knowledgeable staff with smiley faces - even after being asked the same questions 100's of times. Now going to dig out the old C.V and apply for March 2013 :tongue: wooo hooo can't wait to get there.
Reply 15
Original post by weesey
I have just been to the open day at Chester university and feel so excited. Friendly, approachable and informative, knowledgeable staff with smiley faces - even after being asked the same questions 100's of times. Now going to dig out the old C.V and apply for March 2013 :tongue: wooo hooo can't wait to get there.

Well done weesey :-) let us know how this story unfolds xx:biggrin:
Reply 16
Hi everyone...

I am 19 years old and I am applying for child nursing. I wanted to know if anyone knows what sort of question would they ask in an interview! I'm honestly saying i am not good with interviews and random exams but yes presently, I'm studying A Levels and I dont anything about student finance. Can anyone help

For anyone who is debating a lifestyle career change. I'm 50 and will complete my higher education in June this year. I already had a diploma but felt the need go gain relevant study skills. The health care access course is extremely intense, classes of 40 have ended up being 16 . I would warn anyone that does do this course your life's in turmoil for a year. I have succeeded gaining a place at Christchurch university to study children's nursing next year. If you want some thing go and work for it , any things possible .
I am 51and thinking of doing the access course to do nursing but feel i am too old for all the inrensity of the course as i work full time and have other commitments but would love to change my career. I am already in the care setting and love it.
Reply 19
My mum is 62 and I am proud that she wants that change in her career from HCA to Nurse, I told her it's about time you actually do your degree in nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest