The Student Room Group

Male Contraceptive Pill: yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kunoichi
its not just the womans either :rolleyes:

Its both partners.

And for the record, ive heard of and experienced more men moaning about condoms and asking to take them off than i have women.

I didn't suggest it was exclusively the women's responsibility either, nor did I even come close to talking about moaning about condoms so I don't know where that came from.

But anyway, it would be more or less pointless develop this male pill as an alternative for guys who can't or don't want to wear condoms if he still has to wear one anyway in order to protect against the spread of STDs.
Reply 21
Confused as to how this works though...

Woman can just eat enough hormones til their brains think they're pregnant, but men's balls keep working till they die, no?
Reply 22

And for the record, ive heard of and experienced more men moaning about condoms and asking to take them off than i have women.

Lol, I'd love to see your sample data :tongue:

OP, I don't think anyone would be against this. The only downside I can see, as others have mentioned, is the increase in STDs if this replaces the use of condoms or other forms of contraception which prevent the mixing of bodily fluids.
Reply 23
One of them best reasons men should take it is because scientists expect it to be symptomless (apart from it making your balls 35% smaller...according to scishow) and it's likely to be pretty much 100% effective. This means than women won't necessarily have to take their version of the pill which has some unpleasant side effects such as increasing cancer risk, decreasing sex drive, mood swings etc.
"is it right"?

why would it be any less right for women to do it than men? this would be nothing but a good thing if it stops people having kids they don't want or are unprepared to raise.
Reply 25
Original post by Kenocide
I didn't suggest it was exclusively the women's responsibility either, nor did I even come close to talking about moaning about condoms so I don't know where that came from.

But anyway, it would be more or less pointless develop this male pill as an alternative for guys who can't or don't want to wear condoms if he still has to wear one anyway in order to protect against the spread of STDs.

If stds werent hanging around, great, then we could all go without them, but this pill is more for guys in relationships i assume or guys wanting to protect against the chance of a pregnancy if a condom splits. With the female pills, youre always advised to use condoms too.

Also if we all assumed it was our sole responsibility (it isnt) then no one would ever be unprepared without contraception and there would probably be fewer young pregnancies and stds being passed on.
I think this is the attitude young people should be taking rather than, 'oh its ok, i wont bother to get condoms, he/she will have some as its not just my responsibility'.
Reply 26
Original post by Zorg
Lol, I'd love to see your sample data :tongue:

lol experience (unfortunately),the amount of sex tales between my mates and on online forums :tongue: Its amazing what comes out at the girly sleepovers sometimes :tongue:
Also common sense?
Where would you ever get a girl asking to remove a condom? (im talking about ONS here, not relationships btw). There is no advantage in removing it for us.
Firstly you dont want some random guys semen in you. Its not very pleasant.
Secondly STDs
Thirdly Pregnancy (for those who are on no other contraception)

For guys the condom feels crap ( I do actually feel for you all on this point but what can you do hey?), they dont have to worry about my first point nor would they consider that a girl may not want their semen inside them.
When theyve had a bit to drink, they seem to forget about the last two.

I appreciate this is a bit of generalisation and certaintly not true for lots of guys girls have ONS with, but many are sadly like this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Yes they should have this option.

Women do so why not men?
And for those unlucky guys who have girls lie to them about whether they are on the pill or not, this will give them some reassurance that whether a girl is using contraception or not, a pregnancy is going to be stopped anyway.

Hello,
Yes i am also supporting men also taking contraceptive pills along with the women's.
Reply 28
Sure but it won't stop spread of STDs.
i reckon its a brilliant idea.

as a woman it would make me feel so much safer if both me and my partner took a pill.

because i usually forget mine half the time, and remember to take it the next morning. and i know one weekend i ended up camping for the weekend and didnt have my pills on me so couldnt take them!

so it would put my mind at rest and his!
Reply 30
If it's safe, and doesn't have horrible side-effects, I'd be all for it. Extra protection can only be a good thing.

It would give men greater control of the situation. A condom can rip. Some women cannot take the pill, a pill can be forgotten, and, unfortunately, there are some members of my gender who claim they're taking it, but they're not. And the pill doesn't guarantee 100 percent protection anyway.

For people in a relationship, who know the other is STD-free and who'd like to not use a condom, it's great - an extra layer of protection. For people outside of a relationship it's great, too, but it shouldn't be an excuse not to wear a condom. STDs will still be an issue. Plus, you never know, just like some women claim to be on the pill and are not, some men might be tempted to claim they're on the pill to try evade wearing a condom.

Both parties involved should always take care of their own protection. Always. Hopefully this will be of some help with that, but common sense should, of course, still be applied.
Reply 31
YAY! took their time though.

But the pill is designed for use during stable relationships though, so i think STD rates shouldn't suddenly sky rocket.
Original post by neom
YAY! took their time though.

But the pill is designed for use during stable relationships though, so i think STD rates shouldn't suddenly sky rocket.

Lol seriously this pill would be like my god :biggrin: the team who invented this will be at least worthy of a nobel prize, who would not take it? It would be a game changer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
nah
Reply 34
Think its a great idea, i hate how its always my fault if i forget to take the pill one day. I think this would make contraception a more of a partnership, pregnacy should never be the responsibility of one person.
I think it would be a fantastic idea. I can't take the pill for medical reasons, and I think my BF would prefer this over wearing condoms all the time.
Reply 36
Of course it would be an improvement for this to be an option. I can't help but think anyone who argued to the contrary would just be being obtuse.
Original post by 2ndClass
nah

:lolwut: you serious no honestly, this is probably going to be the most important invention for men in the 21st century, the nuclear family, which is known to be a better environment for raising a child, will be much more common, which means as a matter of fact it will benefit society as a whole, also women are more likely to lie about the contraceptive pill than a male would, for huge financial assets in court, meaning that men will have much less worry about unprotected sex, and most importantly women wouldn't have to take the pill which is as the clinical testing stages are going to show the male pill is safer and less likely to reduce libido and is more effective nearly 100% effectiveness. Society will seriously benefit from this pill. It will be a big big thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
The only thing I can see wrong is the men saying 'Sure baby, I take the pill. Everything is fine, just let me cum inside.'

9 months later....surprise :yay:

So not a total guarantee against pregnancy unlike the condom where you can see whether it has or has not worked.
I definitely think men should have the option to take the pill. Contraception is both partners responsibility. However, I don't think I could trust my boyfriend to remember to take it everyday, he's a forgetful person and I wouldn't want him to have sole responsibility of the contraception used. Therefore I'd continue being on the pill anyway. But yes it's a good option for those who want to take it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending