The Student Room Group

GCSE English how has it changed?

So I am re-sitting English in college the last time I did GCSE English was in secondary school, that was like 3/4 years ago. Has it changed I heard the coursework has changed and you only have like 20 minutes to handwrite it in class? I am doing Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet and Mice and Men omfg..

Can someone give me some advice/tips on how it has changed and any good revision books (2012 on wards)..
Which exam board, and which year will be your year of exam entry? The GCSEs are currently in the process of changing, so it really depends whether you are sitting the exam in 2013 or 2014...
Reply 2
Original post by Google_Bot
So I am re-sitting English in college the last time I did GCSE English was in secondary school, that was like 3/4 years ago. Has it changed I heard the coursework has changed and you only have like 20 minutes to handwrite it in class? I am doing Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet and Mice and Men omfg..

Can someone give me some advice/tips on how it has changed and any good revision books (2012 on wards)..

Coursework has been replaced by controlled assessment for all GCSEs. This has to be done in class time so that you cannot get help from someone else to complete it. You get a lot more than 20 minutes but you cannot take any of the work home.
Yes there is one question i suspect it is Explore the ways Steinbeck develops and presents the theme of isolation and loneliness in of mice and men. I am sitting this exam in 1 week it is 4 hours long for one question so make it long think and in my opinion use peas ( point evidence analysis speculation) to get a higher grade you won't get far is you don't use it :smile:
I prefer teaching PEAL: point, evidence, analysis, link (using connectives).
Reply 5
I sat my English Language GCSE in June 2010 and I was predicted an A, however, I got a C.

For nearly all of the universities and the courses I want to do you need a grade B at GCSE English Language. So am resitting it this year and I have been told that the spec has changed from when I sat it.

I'm sitting it in June 2013. What has changed in the spec from June 2010 compared to June 2013? Both of them are with AQA.

And when I was doing it at school my teacher said that our courswork made up 40% of the grade. Would the speaking and listening have been an extra 20% or inculded in the 40%?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Usama H
I sat my English Language GCSE in June 2010 and I was predicted an A, however, I got a C.

For nearly all of the universities and the courses I want to do you need a grade B at GCSE English Language. So am resitting it this year and I have been told that the spec has changed from when I sat it.

I'm sitting it in June 2013. What has changed in the spec from June 2010 compared to June 2013? Both of them are with AQA.

And when I was doing it at school my teacher said that our courswork made up 40% of the grade. Would the speaking and listening have been an extra 20% or inculded in the 40%?

When you did it the coursework was 20% reading & writing and 20% speaking and listening. The current specification is 40% reading and writing controlled assessment and 20% speaking and listening.
Reply 7
Original post by Data
When you did it the coursework was 20% reading & writing and 20% speaking and listening. The current specification is 40% reading and writing controlled assessment and 20% speaking and listening.

I see, are the controlled assesments the same as the courswork I did? And are the poems still the same or have they changed?
Reply 8
Original post by Usama H
I see, are the controlled assesments the same as the courswork I did? And are the poems still the same or have they changed?

It is different, it has to be done iunder supervision in the exam centre and the work studied is likely to be different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending