The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start looking at Medicine?

Hi all,

I've just started AS-levels and am wondering whether it is too late to start considering medicine as a career. I'm taking Geography, Chemistry, Maths and Biology (all through to A2) and got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE.

I've actually only started really pursuing my interest in science in the last year or so- I've always though of myself as an arts student but that changed over the course of my GCSE's. Recently I have been considering careers and I know I want to go into either Earth Sciences or Life Sciences. I hadn't really considered medicine but it really interests me, as I like the study of things that I can relate to and see easily, rather than concentrating on atoms and the like. Obviously the pay is an attracting factor, but it really pales in comparison to my wish to help people and actually make a difference to peoples' lives. I don't want to work in a lab, contributing to our knowledge or science, but would rather solve the problems that people face everyday.

I'm worried because I've been reading through some of the Personal Statements for Medicine, and have been looking at the voluntary work and work experience thread. It seems to me like everyone has so much useful, relevant voluntary work under their belt and, while I have had two good work experience placements, they have not been medicine-related. Also, I seem to gather (although don't know for sure) that many people on both TSR and within my group of friends/acquaintances, that a passion for medicine is discovered earlier than the start of A-levels. Is it a worth even considering medicine if I don't know that it's absolutely what I want to do?

Assuming I can get voluntary work placements in relevant positions (or I hope so) and still have opportunities to demonstrate leadership (to showcase in my PS), I don't think the extra-curricular side of things is too much to worry about. I have completed D of E Bronze & Silver, play guitar (although ungraded), play football (although not at a noteworthy level) and have LAMDA Acting and Public Speaking grades 6&7 respectively.

What do you guys think?

Of course it's not :biggrin:
Original post by Eddie_SG
Hi all,

I've just started AS-levels and am wondering whether it is too late to start considering medicine as a career. I'm taking Geography, Chemistry, Maths and Biology (all through to A2) and got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE.

I've actually only started really pursuing my interest in science in the last year or so- I've always though of myself as an arts student but that changed over the course of my GCSE's. Recently I have been considering careers and I know I want to go into either Earth Sciences or Life Sciences. I hadn't really considered medicine but it really interests me, as I like the study of things that I can relate to and see easily, rather than concentrating on atoms and the like. Obviously the pay is an attracting factor, but it really pales in comparison to my wish to help people and actually make a difference to peoples' lives. I don't want to work in a lab, contributing to our knowledge or science, but would rather solve the problems that people face everyday.

I'm worried because I've been reading through some of the Personal Statements for Medicine, and have been looking at the voluntary work and work experience thread. It seems to me like everyone has so much useful, relevant voluntary work under their belt and, while I have had two good work experience placements, they have not been medicine-related. Also, I seem to gather (although don't know for sure) that many people on both TSR and within my group of friends/acquaintances, that a passion for medicine is discovered earlier than the start of A-levels. Is it a worth even considering medicine if I don't know that it's absolutely what I want to do?

Assuming I can get voluntary work placements in relevant positions (or I hope so) and still have opportunities to demonstrate leadership (to showcase in my PS), I don't think the extra-curricular side of things is too much to worry about. I have completed D of E Bronze & Silver, play guitar (although ungraded), play football (although not at a noteworthy level) and have LAMDA Acting and Public Speaking grades 6&7 respectively.

What do you guys think?

Lol, you're probably at an advantage - you're not one of the numerous asians who have been pushed into medicine since they needed to take calpol as a 2-year old :smile: (not at all racist, think carefully about the definition of racism).

Now that you've actually grown up, thought carefully yourself, and actively chosen medicine, the chances are you're actually more interested in it than the aforementioned. One of our best medicine applicants is someone who only chose medicine literally three months ago (he's applying next week).

Whoever negged me clearly thinks I was racist - racism is discrimination on the belief that some races are superior to others. Simply stating that numerous asians do medicine is just saying what is quite obviously a fact.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Go for it! I did all my relevant work experience in year 12 + 13, and I got 3 interviews and 2 offers :smile:
Reply 4
Not too late at all. Rather early actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely not! I only started looking at Medicine around that time and I'm now about to apply. Just make sure you get some related work experience asap so you can really make sure this is what you want to do before you commit to applying for it.
Reply 6
I didn't decide till the winter of Year 12 I think, and I'll start medical school in around three weeks! Go for it!
Reply 7
Provided you're certain medicine is what you want to do by this time next year (and carried out some relevant work experience) then absolutely not! You have plenty of time to gain experience and have sufficient GCSE grades and have taken relevant AS level subjects... Go for it!
Contrary to popular belief, med schools aren't looking for people who claim they wanted to be a doctor when they were fetal!
Reply 8
Original post by The Polymath
Lol, you're probably at an advantage - you're not one of the numerous asians who have been pushed into medicine since they needed to take calpol as a 2-year old :smile: (not at all racist, think carefully about the definition of racism).

Now that you've actually grown up, thought carefully yourself, and actively chosen medicine, the chances are you're actually more interested in it than the aforementioned. One of our best medicine applicants is someone who only chose medicine literally three months ago (he's applying next week).

Wow, thanks for that. That news about the medicine applicant is very encouraging :biggrin: I go to quite a competitive grammar school (with many medicine-bound Asians) and so the idea of only selecting Medicine now seemed very daunting. My school is very close to a hospital, and there are numerous hospices/care homes around so that would provide a good basis for voluntary work (methinks). I suppose any placement where it demonstrates a willingness to connect and learn about patients and the ill (or just people in general) is beneficial.
Reply 9
Thanks very much to all the replies :smile: It's really encouraging to hear that it's not too late and I'll make sure that between now and this time next year I do my best to gain some genuinely beneficial experience.

Thanks guys!
x

Wait are you in Year 13 atm? (I apologize if this has already been mentioned somewhere)
Reply 11
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
Wait are you in Year 13 atm? (I apologize if this has already been mentioned somewhere)

No, I've just started Year 12.
Reply 12
Not much of what medical applicants say about their motivation is (strictly) true, especially if youre looking at personal statements on the internet. Being interested in medicine since an early age seems to be a popular reason, the earlier the better, so admission tutors probably wouldnt even believe such people. As the selection process is almost entirely subjective in Britain, you can just say what you got out of your work experience and hobbies and get in.

Keep in mind that the examplary personal statement on oxfords medicine site states that the applicant was unsure for a long time on whether to study medicine or not.
No, I've just started Year 12.

Ah in that case, pleeenty of time!
Reply 14
Hi all,

What do you guys think?

Not too late at all, as long as you keep your eye on the ball grades wise and get good predictions. Organise some volunteering now, a nursing home is what I did and interviewers loved it. If not then something with kids etc, something long term is liked by unis such as Manchester.

Start ringing hospitals & GP surgery's for work experience, keep trying. Think of any medical contacts you may have and ask for experience. After your AS levels start thinking about your UKCAT. You've got great GCSEs but next year ensure you apply strategically to places where you stand a good shot of interview.

GOOD LUCK :biggrin:
Reply 15
the earlier you start voluntary work the better, many medical schools will like someone who's showing long term commitment, so by next year you could have over a year under you belt which would really help you :smile:
your grades are very good so far, so just focus on getting excellent AS and A2 grades too :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending