The Student Room Group

Cashing in after receiving offers?

I'm in Year 13 and got AAA at AS in Maths, Physics and Chemistry. However, I took every module in the Edexcel maths syllabus in Year 12 and with the right module combination I have the equivalent of A*A*A* at A2 and AAAAA at AS (three 3 A*s come from 3 maths A-levels). But how do I input this into UCAS? My teacher has said that they are cashing in only after I get my uni offers, so I don't technically have the grades yet (on my results sheet is just has my result for maths AS).
Reply 1
That's retarded.

I believe you can enter individual modules without an overall grade on UCAS.
If not then you will just have to give your predicted grades a A*A*A*aa and get your teachers to say you actually have that in your reference.
Reply 2
Original post by tooosh
That's retarded.

I believe you can enter individual modules without an overall grade on UCAS.
If not then you will just have to give your predicted grades a A*A*A*aa and get your teachers to say you actually have that in your reference.

They aren't cashing it in because it's too expensive for them to afford right now, or something.

How do I enter the modules without an overall grade?
Reply 3
Original post by Zhy
They aren't cashing it in because it's too expensive for them to afford right now, or something.

How do I enter the modules without an overall grade?

In theory you would put the A-level down, fill in the module grades and leave the overall grade blank. I don't know if it will let you do this without an overall grade, in which case you should leave it as pending and get the grades in your reference.

Your school are morons. The government funds the whole thing for each student under 19 taking 3 AS/A2s or more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tooosh
In theory you would put the A-level down, fill in the module grades and leave the overall grade blank. I don't know if it will let you do this without an overall grade, in which case you should leave it as pending and get the grades in your reference.

Your school are morons. The government funds the whole thing for each student under 19 taking 3 AS/A2s or more.

I don't know what the resulting A-level module combinations will be though. It's undecided as an algorithm does it for me. My school also said to re-sit a few modules for higher UMS or just to 'confirm' the A*A*A* because they don't know if the algorithm will deny me that and go for A*A*A instead (for the sake of higher UMS in Further Maths).
Reply 5
Original post by Zhy
I don't know what the resulting A-level module combinations will be though. It's undecided as an algorithm does it for me. My school also said to re-sit a few modules for higher UMS or just to 'confirm' the A*A*A* because they don't know if the algorithm will deny me that and go for A*A*A instead (for the sake of higher UMS in Further Maths).

The algorithm will always place modules so that you get the max grade in both. Technically, it should give you the lowest UMS for the highest grade possible in the AS and the rest go to the A2. If this doesn't end up being the case then you can get your exams officer to recertify it on results day - takes 1-2 days.
Reply 6
Original post by tooosh
The algorithm will always place modules so that you get the max grade in both. Technically, it should give you the lowest UMS for the highest grade possible in the AS and the rest go to the A2. If this doesn't end up being the case then you can get your exams officer to recertify it on results day - takes 1-2 days.

But how do I know what the module combinations are or will end up being? It's a bit tricky for me to do it by hand... I don't understand how to enter them on UCAS. How do I know which ones to put in Further Maths and Further Maths (Additional)?

I also got a U in one of my modules, so is it worth not entering the UMS because of that?
Reply 7
Original post by Zhy
But how do I know what the module combinations are or will end up being? It's a bit tricky for me to do it by hand... I don't understand how to enter them on UCAS. How do I know which ones to put in Further Maths and Further Maths (Additional)?

I also got a U in one of my modules, so is it worth not entering the UMS because of that?

Like I said, highest grade with the lowest UMS in the AS and the rest go in the A2. I'm not entirely sure how it works for FM but it's in the A-level spec.

I'm pretty sure you have to enter Us now. Again not sure about this, maybe someone else can jump in. The alternative that's definitely acceptable, is just putting your A-level as pending with no module grades and your referee saying it should certify to A*.
Reply 8
Original post by tooosh
Like I said, highest grade with the lowest UMS in the AS and the rest go in the A2. I'm not entirely sure how it works for FM but it's in the A-level spec.

I'm pretty sure you have to enter Us now. Again not sure about this, maybe someone else can jump in. The alternative that's definitely acceptable, is just putting your A-level as pending with no module grades and your referee saying it should certify to A*.

Okay... but I'm unsure if I know what the combination will be, is what I'm saying. With 18 different modules there are a few ways for me to get A*A*A* but I'm not sure if I've found the most 'efficient' one. So which modules do I enter for which qualification?
Reply 9
Original post by Zhy
Okay... but I'm unsure if I know what the combination will be, is what I'm saying. With 18 different modules there are a few ways for me to get A*A*A* but I'm not sure if I've found the most 'efficient' one. So which modules do I enter for which qualification?

The algorithm for determining the module placement is in the spec pdf. For plain Maths with FM AS, the lowest UMS module go in Maths while still ensuring the highest possible grade and the rest goes in FM AS. Not sure how it is with full FM let alone AFM, hence check the spec sheet because it tells you there.
Since you did AFM to A2, hardly anyone here has experience with it so your best bet is looking at the spec rather than waiting for anyone to explain it.
maths obv c1-c4, and 2 applied 1-1 or 1-2.

fm and afm, try by hand (i know u didnt want to) to find combination worth 480 with 3 of the modules being 90+

make sure remainder 6 add upto 480 with 3 of the modules being 90+

shud give u the A*A*A*, thats just my guess on what u cud do.

best of luck bro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending