The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good TV series to watch

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReTurd
Prison break, Lost, heroes.
They will not disappoint.
anyone watched any of these and recommend something as good?

Heroes will disappoint if you go past the first season. The second is horrendous, the third being a little better.

Lost may also begin to disappoint when you get to season 5 and you realise they're just making it up as they go along.

Prison Break, however, is absolutely brilliant and I'd definitely recommend it OP.

Dexter is also great. And while it unfortunately only got 1 season, Profit is fantastic.

I've yet to watch Breaking Bad but I hear good things.
Reply 21
Original post by silent ninja
This show would be massive in the UK had it been shown on one of the major channels. It's awesome.

Have you seen some of the tripe that gets aired here? It's aimed at braindead ****ing idiots with the attention span of a pot plant
House
Treme. From the same guys who did the wire, very good.

Also, any one who has never seen M*A*S*H should really take a look.
Original post by silent ninja
You cannae be serious? Flash Forward was OK, it's like NCIS-- something you'd watch if you stumbled on it and nothing else was on, but it's the equivalent of a B movie. It's writing, acting and production values were mediocre throughout.

if you watched every episode, you'd appreciate the story arc...

in fact I don't see how one could enjoy flashforward at all if they only saw it occasionally :s-smilie:
Original post by Pheylan
Have you seen some of the tripe that gets aired here? It's aimed at braindead ****ing idiots with the attention span of a pot plant

Lol
I would hesitantly agree, even though most of my friends are just like this. I don't bother recommending stuff anymore. If someone says The Wire is boring, they don't get Pans Labyrinth, and they don't like subtitled movies... It's the equivalent of hitting your head against a rock. Those are common responses.

Breaking Bad is surely perfect for BBC2. Missed opportunity.
Reply 26
I hear Suits is pretty darn good

I've recently formed an obsession with the US Office :colondollar:
Original post by hassi94
Heroes will disappoint if you go past the first season. The second is horrendous, the third being a little better.

Lost may also begin to disappoint when you get to season 5 and you realise they're just making it up as they go along.

Prison Break, however, is absolutely brilliant and I'd definitely recommend it OP.

Dexter is also great. And while it unfortunately only got 1 season, Profit is fantastic.

I've yet to watch Breaking Bad but I hear good things.

Many LOST fans will tell you that the show was not made up at all. Yes, there is still some debate over if the writers did or not but I believe they did not. Looking back over the seasons there are perticular plot aspects that can link to later seasons. The structure during Season 3-5 was poorer than other seasons but by no means was the show just made up as they went along. No way.
Original post by Barden
if you watched every episode, you'd appreciate the story arc...

in fact I don't see how one could enjoy flashforward at all if they only saw it occasionally :s-smilie:

I saw three quarters of the first season, due to my younger brother. It started ok but then it was kinda predictable and didn't have enough substance. Not a bad show -- I enjoy shows for what they are, this wasn't trying to be super intelligent or anything -- but it didn't develop well enough for me. Fringe is a lot better, although the story arc is starting to lose it's way a little.
Original post by AmusedDouche
In the last couple of years ive seen the wire, sopranos and mad men. absolutely loved them all. where to go from here?

Breaking Bad. Best series I have ever seen.
Reply 30
Definitely check out Breaking Bad and The Shield, I'm sure you'd enjoy them. Or if you want a quality comedy, watch Arrested Development.
Reply 31
Lie to Me. It's been cancelled now, damn I loved that show, Tim Roth is brilliant in it.
Reply 32
modern family, criminal minds, dexter, the mentalist, suits, prison break, 24, castle
If you want something a little more light hearted I would recommend Chuck or Community - both are well written and very funny.
Reply 34
Touch.
Reply 35
Okay, heres a few.

Arrested development
Band of Brothers
Boardwalk Empire
Burn notice
Breaking Bad
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Community
The Corner
Deadwood
Dexter
East bound and down
Entourage
Fringe
Generation Kill
Hell on Wheels
House MD
Justified
Luther
Mad men
Memphis Beat
Nip/Tuck
Oz
The Pacific
Parks & Recreation
Party down
Sons of Anarchy
Spartacus (Blood & Sand + Gods of the Arena)
The Corner
The Killing
The Sopranos
Treme
True Blood
United States of Tara
The Unit
The West Wing
The Wire

I've seen all of these to the last episode, my favourites however remain Breaking Bad, Entourage, The Wire and The Sopranos, Oz and Curb your Enthusiasm.

Check em out!
Reply 36
The Walking Dead.
Harpers Island.
Pushing Daisies - this is excellent!
Reply 37
The best ones:
the wire
breaking bad
prison break
Original post by ReTurd
Prison break, Lost, heroes.
They will not disappoint.
anyone watched any of these and recommend something as good?

Sons of Anarchy! awesome show
Reply 39
American Horror Story

Quick Reply

Latest