The Student Room Group

Medicine 5th choice - Natural Science/Human Science

Hi there,

I'm reapplying for medicine on my gap year whilst resitting some modules (i have some extenuating circumstances), but I have to seriously think about my 5th choice due to the competitive nature of medicine :rolleyes:

What I wanted to know was would it be worth applying for something like Natural Sciences or Human Sciences at Durham or UCL as a 5th choice? Or is the competition already far too fierce with over achieving students?
I have 5A*s and 5As at GCSE, and for A-levels got ABB initially but am predicted A*AA after jan resits
Also would having a medicine PS seriously hinder my chances?
thankyou :h:
They say that you should just make your personal statement completely about medicine as these subjects know that their course is often a fifth option for medics and if they so desire (though this is quite rare) they can request a personal statement that is specific to their subject from you directly.

Whether it's worth applying is completely up to you, it depends on whether you would be happy to do a different degree or whether you would prefer to sit it out another year and apply a third time, bearing in mind that if people really want to get in generally eneryone gets in on the third try if not before (or so I've heard!).

I heard on the grapevine as well that there are courses such as Biomedical sciences at Cardiff with take the top so many percent after the first year and move them over to medicine - so that could be worth investigating as a fifth option too.
:h:
Durham allow you to send in a separate personal statement, so if you are applying as a fifth choice it shouldn't matter. I'm not sure about Human Sciences but Natural Sciences is a very highly regarded course and as such has a lot of competetive applications form incredibly well qualified applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending