The Student Room Group

archaeology at uni.

i am currently taking:
A2 socioloy
A2 psychology
A2 government and politics
and i did AS BIOLOGY

it's a mixture of science (biology+ psy), humanities (sociology) and arts ( G+P)

i was thinking of doing A-level english nxt year.
but what a-levels do you think is best for doing an archaeology course in uni.
Reply 1
You must be spending at least four years at college then? Not such a bad plan, even with mediocre grades, four A levels plus an AS will get you into almost anything within reason. Given the nature of archaeology history would be an obvious choice, I would see it as an absolute necessity, even though for certain uni's it's not. Full biology would be good for the lab parts, but I appreciate it's bloody hard for humanities students. Same for chemistry.
Reply 2
Instead of history i think i will do geography as and a2. The uni i am considering doesn't have any specific subjects that i must do. So is geography a good mix with sociology, psychology, as biology, and g+p.
Reply 3
A2 sociology (A)
as maths (B)
A2 psychology (A)
as biology (B)
A2 g+p (A/B)
genral studies
A2 geography (A/B)

THINKING ABOUT STAYING IN SIXTH FORM FOR 3 YRS.
what do you think of these sets of subjects and what else could i become with it??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 06mohamoudr
A2 sociology (A)
as maths (B)
A2 psychology (A)
as biology (B)
A2 g+p (A/B)
genral studies
A2 geography (A/B)

THINKING ABOUT STAYING IN SIXTH FORM FOR 3 YRS.
what do you think of these sets of subjects and what else could i become with it??

Those are some really good subjects to take. As long as your course doesn't have any subject requirements you don't have, you'll be able to do anything you want really. Required quals won't even apply to you, you could get in an A*AA course with A's, B's or even mixtures of C's with all of those together I think
Reply 5
what other courses at uni are available to me with these a-levels. and what uni in england would be the best to go to for it??
Reply 6
Original post by 06mohamoudr
what other courses at uni are available to me with these a-levels. and what uni in england would be the best to go to for it??

Any humanities subject you want, like English, geography, history etc. The humanity/Science dual honours as well. You'll still need good grades though, B and C mix in all at absolute minimum. My personal opinions the University of Sheffield. It's got the best nightlife/academic mix I have seen. But I suppose I'm biased there :biggrin: Uni of Nottingham, uni of York etc. all very good places
Reply 7
i've changed it up a bit.
i am in my second year at sixth form and i'm currently taking: sociology, PSYCHOLOGY, GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS, and biology.
i want to take next year philosophy and history. I figured that to do classical archeology i would need these two a-levels.

i am planning to get an
A IN SOCIOLOGY
B IN PSYCHOLOGY
A IN GOVERNMENT +POL.
A/B in philosophy
A IN History

PS. i did drop biology because it was tooo difficult, and my grades weren't that good, but i did pass.
let me know what do you think of these mixitures.
i did decided to do an extra year at sixth form because i didn't know exactly what to study or even do at uni. so i took more subjects just to get a feel for them and to broaden my horizons.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending