The Student Room Group

How much is parent involved in universities?

Are there parent teacher meetings in universities?
Do you need a parent to get into a university?
What is the role of a parent in universities?
Reply 1
No.
No.
To help their children financially if they feel it's appropriate. Nothing more.
Why?
Parent teacher meetings at uni :ahee:
Reply 4
A parent doesn't have to have any involvement in university at all. Normally they help financially, but that's about it. They can be involved as little or as much as you want. And no, there aren't parent-teacher meetings - once you get to university you play both the role of the student and the parent, so you will have meetings with your tutor to discuss progress.
Reply 5
Original post by Luffy.

To the first two questions, no. University is a choice not a compulsion, your parents can't force you to go and you don't have to be there.

I guess the role is financial and emotional support. Making sure you're eating well, you're working, you have enough money and that you're generally doing well, at least that's how my parents acted for my siblings. :smile:
Reply 6
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's going to be a transition for you to step into the real world my good man, and I would love to see that show.
Original post by Luffy.

Why would you have parents evenings at university? University is for adults, not children who need to be monitored by their parents.
Universities will not, in fact, communicate to parents about their children even if the parent makes contact.
The only involvement the university has with your parent may be as an emergency contact, it may not even be that if you elect someone else. Your parents won't even get notified about your results, attendance, behavior etc like in school and maybe college. Their only relationship is with you, you're treated like an individual ands self- responsible adult.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending