The Student Room Group

Just started JSA, not too sure about exactly what they expect me to do.. HELP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tamimi
I second this. I don't see why JSA is being offered to people with the option of going into funded education, whilst the remainder of the population struggles to get enough money to get through the week.

<Sits and awaits a storm of negging from all those taking gap years>

The person you 'seconded' was making a completely different point. They were referring to the unlikelihood of securing short-term employment at the moment (i.e. during the OP's gap year), which means they are likely to be unemployed for the entire year.

So far as your point is concerned, it is actually better from an economic perspective that someone spends an entire year on Jobseeker's Allowance than goes to university and drops out in the first term; the government spends less money on the former. The fact the OP is taking a gap suggests they are unclear about their options, which makes dropping out a real possibility.

No matter what the OP's reasons for taking a gap year, so long as they are eligible for and follow all the rules of JSA then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it so take your misplaced indignation and mind your own business. You naivety is actually grating.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by tamimi
I second this. I don't see why JSA is being offered to people with the option of going into funded education, whilst the remainder of the population struggles to get enough money to get through the week.

<Sits and awaits a storm of negging from all those taking gap years>

Calm down. If someone is on a gap year, with a funded university place available for the following academic year (ie. an offer has been made and accepted) he or she is not normally entitled to JSA.

Similarly if a current university student needs to susped their studies for a year, and is looking for temporary employment, he or she cannot claim JSA. There are exceptions (e.g. those who needed to suspend due to health reasons).

The OP is claiming JSA because he is re-applying. He therefore doesn't have a confirmed place or any offers. He possibly hasn't submitted his UCAS form yet.

Even if he did have an (accepted) offer for 2013, you don't know the reasons for him delaying. He could have caring commitments, health problems, financial difficulties...

Original post by EffieFlowers
What a load of rubbish.

Can't believe I'm getting negged for this so what kind of standards does 'struggles to get enough money to get through the week' refer to? I'm sure 3rd world citizens would laugh in your face for saying that.

Poverty doesn't exist in the UK or people don't struggle to get money for basics such as food and rent? Particularly during a double dip recession?

Good post. Although OP, I was on a gap year and managed to get 2 jobs, although I will say I was very lucky to get them and I was made redundant in June and have been unemployed ever since. :emo:

After being made redundant I signed on to JSA and I actually ended up leaving about a month after because they are so much more inhibiting than helpful. The Jobcentre should be so much more encouraging to people, they should encourage people to look forward to having careers in life which they may actually enjoy. Instead I've seen them treat people ( especially the ones who look a bit scruffy and don't have much going on in their head) awfully, as if they are low life scroungers. They should be encouraging ambition not make them fee like they are nothing.

They also try and patronise those who do have aspirations and are completely useless for anything other than manual jobs or . When I signed on in June I was given a list of training courses, things like fork lift driving, how to safely lift and handle goods, and other manual tasks. There were no computer literacy or typing courses offered (not that I need them). I don't understad why these courses were even offered to me. I have also signed on on two previous occasions. The first was before starting university when I was told I needed qualifications to enter journalism. No attempt was made to look for local traiing schemes which, if they had done, they would have found one for A-level leavers with a local paper. Same thing happened a few years later when signed on the second time As they are so used to dealing with people who have limited qualifications, they just make assumptions. It is infuriating.
Original post by River85
Poverty doesn't exist in the UK or people don't struggle to get money for basics such as food and rent? Particularly during a double dip recession?

So the remainder of the population struggles to get by each week? So the majority of the UK population struggles to have food and running water and shelter each week? Life isn't a luxury for many, but that's quite different to struggling to get through the week
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
So the remainder of the population struggles to get by each week? So the majority of the UK population struggles to have food and running water and shelter each week? Life isn't a luxury for many, but that's quite different to struggling to get through the week

The majority of the population is certainly finding things tougher than five years ago. Just today I spent £100 on food that would have cost £60 a few years ago. This is half of my current weekly income. There's a difference between struggling to make ends meet and living in absolute or even relative poverty.

tamimi's post was ill-informed and reactionary particularly as people who are, or may, be entering funded education in a year's time can still be struggling themselves. However, I interpreted his post as meaning that a significant number of people in work are struggling, often making hard decisions such as whether they can even afford to eat well. This is true. Young parents are often having to miss out themselves so they can sufficiently feed their children. Despite this, any/further state assisstance is not offered to them and, for those who do receive state help, they are facing widespread cuts and changes to benefits (or even having benefits removed).
Reply 24
Original post by River85
snip
The OP is claiming JSA because he is re-applying
snip

Wasn't aware of this.
Original post by River85
The majority of the population is certainly finding things tougher than five years ago. Just today I spent £100 on food that would have cost £60 a few years ago. This is half of my current weekly income. There's a difference between struggling to make ends meet and living in absolute or even relative poverty.

tamimi's post was ill-informed and reactionary particularly as people who are, or may, be entering funded education in a year's time can still be struggling themselves. However, I interpreted his post as meaning that a significant number of people in work are struggling, often making hard decisions such as whether they can even afford to eat well. This is true. Young parents are often having to miss out themselves so they can sufficiently feed their children. Despite this, any/further state assisstance is not offered to them and, for those who do receive state help, they are facing widespread cuts and changes to benefits (or even having benefits removed).

You may find this piece from Corporate Watch in August interesting which detailed the experiences of Gillian Wilkes an elderly job seeker.

Following redundancy I had to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance. I read the rules and regulations to ensure I didn't fall foul of any stipulations and dutifully carried out my job search.

However, at my fourth signing on appointment I was told by the advisor that because I had not applied for two jobs within the last fortnight, my search was not adequate and that my benefit would be stopped. I pointed out that I had completed the required six 'tasks' on the agreement, which included contacting two companies to see if there were any job vacancies available. The regulations did not stipulate that applying for 2 jobs was a condition of receiving benefit. The advisor didn't agree with me and informed me that my job search would be sent to the 'Decision Makers' to see if the doubt was justified. In the meantime, my benefits would be stopped immediately for two weeks.

I was horrified as my disabled husband and I had no other income (his claim is linked to mine). Those two weeks without money were the most humiliating of my life. We had to ask for food hand-outs from friends and family, couldn't pay any bills and had to scrounge tins of food for our dogs and cat. After both of us working for 45 years (I'm 60 and my husband is 63) and paying a lifetime of tax and contributions, we were being punished because I hadn't applied for two jobs.

That was in May and, to date, I have still not been notified of a decision by the Decision Makers. I appealed against the sanction and heard nothing. When I contacted the appeals department, I was told that my case would not be heard until around September.

‘Granny Groundworker’

Then, after signing on for just ten weeks, my advisor said she was referring me to the Mandatory Work Activity (MWA) programme. She handed me a letter without any explanation of what it was about. I asked her for some details and she mumbled something about skills.

A week later I received a text message from a company called Groundwork West Midlands telling me I had been referred to them. I checked them out on the internet and discovered they were an environmental company that trains young people in ‘groundwork’. I then started to worry what this was all about. Am I to be trained as ‘Granny Groundworker’, I wondered.

I then received a letter from this company, thanking me for attending an engagement meeting or telephone interview (I had been offered neither), and informing me that I was to start my MWA programme on the Monday coming. It said I must participate for 30 hours a week for four weeks at ‘Acorns’. The letter stated if I did not have good reason for turning up then, for my first offence, I would lose my benefit for 13 weeks, and for my second offence I would lose it for 26 weeks.

What am I now? A criminal it seems! I was simply told that I must dress smartly in black trousers and white shirt. There were no details about the work or the company so I contacted them to request some information.

Acorns turned out to be a charity shop. Now, I don't wish to sound like I am above charity shop work, as I know charity shop workers do a wonderful job, but what skills am I going to learn that will help me find the sort of job I am seeking? I do not need discipline or time-keeping lessons. I have worked as an Administrator, Secretary and Finance Officer for the past 45 years but now I am just being used for free labour.

Adding ten hours a week travelling time amounts to a 40 hour week but I would still have had to sign on, attend interviews and complete a job search every day. That means I would have had to complete my job searches in the evening. I would have thought it was illegal to expect people to work day and evening.

The Department for Work and Pensions contradicts itself as this programme stops people from doing the very thing they need to be doing: looking for paid and fulfilling work.

I have paid enough tax and contributions in my lifetime to cover the cost of my benefit so I find it insulting that after just a few weeks of claiming, I am expected to work for every penny. The programme is a total waste of taxpayer's money, which would be better spent on skills courses for the young unemployed, not placing the older, experienced generation on these money wasting programmes.

http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/?lid=4470
Reply 26
Original post by grumbeale
They really won't care less, I didn't apply for a single job for months on JSA and nothing was ever checked.

Why were you claiming JSA then?
Reply 27
Original post by oh_1993
Why were you claiming JSA then?

At the time I didn't have a job. To falsify "job search activity" and still get paid JSA isn't hard. It's not up until a few months that they start getting you interviews, which most people either don't turn up too or simply say that they don't want the job to the interviewer and they are only attending so they can still get JSA.
At the time I didn't have a job. To falsify "job search activity" and still get paid JSA isn't hard. It's not up until a few months that they start getting you interviews, which most people either don't turn up too or simply say that they don't want the job to the interviewer and they are only attending so they can still get JSA.

You understand that £50 is not much to live off right? Most people are actively seeking work because struggling on JSA is tough. My food costs at uni were around £30-£50 per week. Then if you factor in travelling costs that £50 is spent very quickly.

I have met quite a few long term unemployed individuals by doing volunteer work as they take up volunteering to keep up to date their CV and to keep up their confidence.

The job centre gets you interviews? My job centre experience rarely helped me find any jobs to even apply for in my four months of claiming JSA.
Reply 29
You should have been given some kind of agreement on a sheet of paper detailing what you are supposed to be doing each week op.

Anyway it sounds like the Job Center have upped their game since I was on it for a few months several years ago. They weren't particularly helpful, but at least they weren't underhanded.
Reply 30
Original post by Politics Student
You understand that £50 is not much to live off right? Most people are actively seeking work because struggling on JSA is tough. My food costs at uni were around £30-£50 per week. Then if you factor in travelling costs that £50 is spent very quickly.

I have met quite a few long term unemployed individuals by doing volunteer work as they take up volunteering to keep up to date their CV and to keep up their confidence.

The job centre gets you interviews? My job centre experience rarely helped me find any jobs to even apply for in my four months of claiming JSA.

They got you interviews to work placements at places like Tesco which you had to do to receive JSA, all some kind of new bull****, so I got off benefits and got a job. It's mostly not JSA people are after but they want to stay on benefits for housing benefit and the like. If you're on housing benefit and JSA (over 25) it's not that much worse off than working a full time, minimum wage job.

Example:

Min Wage: £890/after Tax. After paying rent, bills, food, you might be left with a couple of hundred quid a month, if you have no other dependencies (kids and so on).

Housing Benefit + £71/week JSA: No rent to pay, no bills to pay (payed by housing benefit), £140 on food, say, leaves you with around the same amount of money as having a job. Obviously you don't need to pay for any transport costs as there's no reason to leave the house.
They got you interviews to work placements at places like Tesco which you had to do to receive JSA, all some kind of new bull****, so I got off benefits and got a job. It's mostly not JSA people are after but they want to stay on benefits for housing benefit and the like. If you're on housing benefit and JSA (over 25) it's not that much worse off than working a full time, minimum wage job.

Example:

Min Wage: £890/after Tax. After paying rent, bills, food, you might be left with a couple of hundred quid a month, if you have no other dependencies (kids and so on).

Housing Benefit + £71/week JSA: No rent to pay, no bills to pay (payed by housing benefit), £140 on food, say, leaves you with around the same amount of money as having a job. Obviously you don't need to pay for any transport costs as there's no reason to leave the house.

Those on low wages are also entitled to housing benefits.

Who is eligible
You may get Housing Benefit if you pay rent and your income and capital (savings and investments) are below a certain level. You could qualify if you are out of work, or in work and earning a wage.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926

Housing benefit does not cover bills either.
Reply 32

Bills aren't covered by housing benefit. Only rent is. Though there's also free NHS dental treatment, sight tests, and prescriptions to take into account (if receiving income based JSA though, even then, some on low incomes will still receive this).
Reply 33
Original post by Politics Student
Those on low wages are also entitled to housing benefits.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926

Housing benefit does not cover bills either.

Some rents include bills and the housing benefit often covers this, especially when contracts are more casual between the landlord and the tenant. I've known a few people who literally never paid a bill or rent for a number of years, whilst picking up JSA. One lad I knew even stopped squatting places as being a benefit scrounger was easier.

If you had the balls to do it you could buy a cheap property (with a mortgage) and let benefit scroungers live there and pay rent (knowing they'd get housing benefit). Essentially the government would be paying your mortgage.

Hilarious really, the whole system is there to be exploited.
Reply 34
Some rents include bills and the housing benefit often covers this, especially when contracts are more casual between the landlord and the tenant. I've known a few people who literally never paid a bill or rent for a number of years, whilst picking up JSA. One lad I knew even stopped squatting places as being a benefit scrounger was easier.

This is correct, quite a few private landlords who want things nice and simple in a **** house just include all bills in the rent, which HB will then cover neatly.

There are many other "benefits" available to benefits recipients, such as reduced or free access to leisure facilities, free training courses and part-time education, cheaper/free medical stuff, and so on.

Being employed means I have to pay a minimum of £300/month that I wouldn't if I was unemployed. That could easily be £4-500 for someone who wasn't sharing a cheap house and sharing council tax. I also miss out on over £200/month in JSA. It's over 50% of my monthly pay cheque, so in effect I work full time for under £6000 per year.

You need to be earning well over 20-25k to make it vaguely worthwhile having a job, imo. Anything less than that and all the free time you lose isn't worth the minimal extra money you get on top of the value of benefits you could be having instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending