Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iPod 4G

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPod-t...7586400&sr=8-2

Are these worth the price? I've got an S3 for my phone but been considering buying an iPod.

And will the price go down by much when the iPod 5(?) comes out?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thread title is meant to say iPod Touch 4g ffs.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure but I was considering a tablet instead personally. I haven't done the research yet but was thinking of getting an mp3 player when I realised it might be worth looking at tablets such as the nexus 7. Frankly, depending on what features you want, tablets can be a bargain. £160 for a 8GB tablet with an awesome CPU, jelly bean, 1280x800 7 inch IPS screen, 1GB RAM, NFC. To me that's worth a look if nothing else.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Not sure but I was considering a tablet instead personally. I haven't done the research yet but was thinking of getting an mp3 player when I realised it might be worth looking at tablets such as the nexus 7. Frankly, depending on what features you want, tablets can be a bargain. £160 for a 8GB tablet with an awesome CPU, jelly bean, 1280x800 7 inch IPS screen, 1GB RAM, NFC. To me that's worth a look if nothing else.
    What do tablets offer that iPods don't other than size?

To be honest I liked the iPod Touch because for music it has a much better battery than my S3. I don't need a tablet cos I already have a laptop and S3.

Were you considering an iPod previously?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly thought mp3 players were outdated. Especially the ipod touch - it is the same size as a phone. I haven't used a seperate mp3 player to my phone in years. Even so, if you must have one, and you say you have an s3 already why not get a smaller cheaper mp3 player?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    What do tablets offer that iPods don't other than size?

To be honest I liked the iPod Touch because for music it has a much better battery than my S3. I don't need a tablet cos I already have a laptop and S3.
    Battery wise the nexus 7 seems to outperform the iPod touch(9hrs HD video vs 8hrs video). I can't really speak for music, that's one thing I'm researching too. I'm not saying it's the best option because I've only just started looking into it myself but as I say it depends on your uses. I was considering an iPod Touch 5th gen for music and videos, but like many people say it's like an iPhone without the communication abilties - as a device it utilises the iOS operating system therefore it uses apps and tablets do the same thing. Since I planned on watching videos it seemed worth considering something with a bigger screen, but when you add apps into it you begin to question other parts of the spec. You have a galaxy S3 so this may be less of an issue but the nexus 7 runs on a 1.3GHz quad core CPU(which is only a little slower than the galaxy S3) which is fantastic if you have a ****ty low end phone like I do.

I'd definitely recommend trying them out in-store. I'm on a 3.5" screen, just like the 4th gen iPod touch, and it's ok but it's a bit small, I wouldn't say no to a 4" screen. And of course, you're used to a 4.8" screen so it might be worth finding out if 3.5" is enough. For the purpose of objectivity the 5th gen will have a 4" screen.

Thanks for the rep btw, pushed me over the 200 mark.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    I honestly thought mp3 players were outdated. Especially the ipod touch - it is the same size as a phone. I haven't used a seperate mp3 player to my phone in years. Even so, if you must have one, and you say you have an s3 already why not get a smaller cheaper mp3 player?
    Because I lke gadgets and must have the latest toys :confused:

Honestly I don't know, hence making this thread.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because I lke gadgets and must have the latest toys :confused:

Honestly I don't know, hence making this thread.
    ipod isnt really the latest toy is it :P new nano looks alright though
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Battery wise the nexus 7 seems to outperform the iPod touch(9hrs HD video vs 8hrs video). I can't really speak for music, that's one thing I'm researching too. I'm not saying it's the best option because I've only just started looking into it myself but as I say it depends on your uses. I was considering an iPod Touch 5th gen for music and videos, but like many people say it's like an iPhone without the communication abilties - as a device it utilises the iOS operating system therefore it uses apps and tablets do the same thing. Since I planned on watching videos it seemed worth considering something with a bigger screen, but when you add apps into it you begin to question other parts of the spec. You have a galaxy S3 so this may be less of an issue but the nexus 7 runs on a 1.3GHz quad core CPU(which is only a little slower than the galaxy S3) which is fantastic if you have a ****ty low end phone like I do.

I'd definitely recommend trying them out in-store. I'm on a 3.5" screen, just like the 4th gen iPod touch, and it's ok but it's a bit small, I wouldn't say no to a 4" screen. And of course, you're used to a 4.8" screen so it might be worth finding out if 3.5" is enough. For the purpose of objectivity the 5th gen will have a 4" screen.

Thanks for the rep btw, pushed me over the 200 mark.
    I honestly thought the Nexus tab was made my Samsung

In terms of spec that does sound good, just looked at it on Amazon and it's £255. Why so cheap on that link?

Been watching a review comparison between the Nexus and the iPad 3 and the Nexus looks like it outperforms it :eek:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly thought the Nexus tab was made my Samsung

In terms of spec that does sound good, just looked at it on Amazon and it's £255. Why so cheap on that link?

Been watching a review comparison between the Nexus and the iPad 3 and the Nexus looks like it outperforms it :eek:
    Some company taking advantage of consumers who don't look around. Amazon itself doesn't stock the Nexus 7. Ebuyer does but I'd still rather deal with google. Asus makes it afaik.

Link?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some company taking advantage of consumers who don't look around. Amazon itself doesn't stock the Nexus 7. Ebuyer does but I'd still rather deal with google. Asus makes it afaik.

Link?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNkw...eature=related

The browser speed test bit at 2:30ish. Admittedly I've only skimmed the video but the Nexus doesn't look bad at all.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNkw...eature=related

The browser speed test bit at 2:30ish. Admittedly I've only skimmed the video but the Nexus doesn't look bad at all.
    Just about to watch your one. I just watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Qc1Khnt_I and apart from the last minute I thought it was a reasonable comparison. Having watched it it left me with the distinct impression that the iPad was simplistic. From my perspective it made the iPad seem more like a toy for kids rather than a powerful tool. One thing I'm yet to hear about is how it performs using earphones - the quality of audio it outputs.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 15, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.