The Student Room Group

Why do people buy Macs?

Genuine question I've never really got my head round. There seems to be a lot of stick about people owning Macs - Mostly the accusations about them being 'hipsters', technologically arrogant, etc.

So I asked myself this question - Why do people buy Macs? What loving incentive is there to buy a Mac, when a Windows machine that's configured correctly has the flexibility of Windows (or Linux, if you wanted) and will just run and run?

Genuine question here. I use Windows 7 on a PC; and the performance on it has been rock solid after I installed a driver that fixed my display (D-SUB to HDMI lead always displayed the images underscanned; but a driver update fixed that).

I've used a Mac, personally didn't like my experience. It seemed... Backwards; in the sense most people train on a bog-standard Windows PC, but the Mac PC seems to rewrite this. IMO, it seems clumsy to use, whereas Windows 7 doesn't get in the way and let you do things (unlike the dog Windows Vista).

Windows can do more than a Mac, too, in terms of hardware, software, etc... So is there something I'm missing out with a Mac, or is it just glorified hype?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'll just post my input here and explain why I bought a MacBook Pro 13" recently for university, instead of opting for one of my other Windows options (Samsung Series 7, Lenovo Thinkpads, Toshiba Portege).
I've always been a Windows guy and this is my first Apple product too, so you should keep this in mind before you read ahead.

Note: I am going to be assuming that the MBP 13" is classified as an ultra-book for all intents and purposes due to the great battery life and light weight, even though it technically isn't classified as one by Apple.

1. Aluminium Unibody: Aesthetically pleasing, seems pretty solid, no noticeable air vents, fairly light. Most other laptops (even those in the same price range) make extensive use of plastic in the body and the build quality will generally be lower, not only because of the plastic, but because the body is assembled in parts and may result in creaking and bending. Toshiba Portege series laptops and Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 is an exception.
2. Hardware / specs: Standard mobile processor instead of ULV one leading to better performance (Ask if you want an explanation). Most, if not all, other laptops with the same battery life (6+ hours) have ULV processors. User upgradability - I can upgrade to an SSD and add more RAM later on by myself instead of having to take it to Apple and pay a premium for the same upgrades.
3. Good connectivity: ethernet port, optical drive, thunderbolt port, firewire (all these things are usually not present in many PC "ultra-books").
4. Battery life: Following point 2...The battery life is comparable (and often better) than the ultra-books on the market, without compromising on performance with a ULV processor.
5. Software: Mac OSX - incredibly optmised for the hardware as OSX only has to deal with a fixed set of configurations of hardware and not provide guaranteed support for all configurations like Windows, Unix-based - so the memory management is better and free RAM is used in a more efficient manner, Secure - not because "derp I are c00l MaC don't GET ViruS lololol" but because Mac OSX's market share is too low for hackers and crackers to bother spending there resources on making viruses for it...not saying there are no viruses, but they are very few in comparison with Windows. Gestures - At first the cool gestures with swiping and multi-touch support feel like gimmicks but the more you use them, the more you like them and appreciate their usefulness in everyday computing. Xcode - so I can legally program apps for Mac OSX and iOS in Objective C.
6. Personal preference: I wanted to try something new and I hadn't ever used Mac OSX or an Apple product, so I decided to try it out. Basically, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
7. Durability: Or rather what I've heard of Apple MacBooks and how they are very reliable and last long. I want something that will last me the next 4 years and I didn't want to risk with anything of lower quality. (If I wanted to risk it, I would have definitely gone with the Sony S13, which is cheaper and packs a discrete GPU too. The only reason I didn't go with it is because I haven't had a great experience with Vaio's in the past and because of this: http://www.sonyvaiosucks.com :tongue:)

If I have missed anything, I will edit it in later. Feel free to comment on why you think I'm right or wrong, but please do make sure you can show me a comparable machine at a significantly lower price. Tip: The Toshiba Portege is the only line-up that comes close to the Apple MacBook line-up in terms of quality and performance...and you know what? They cost pretty much the same as the MacBooks. Keep in mind that I researched the laptop market for over a month before I bought this MBP last week.

Also, I have another Windows laptop (Toshiba Satellite L655) which I love, but I'm not taking to university due to low portability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I've used both and while I'm used to Windows, it doesn't half drive me nuts. I had an older (2008) macbook that was plastic and it fell apart, which obviously isn't good, although my current Asus is going the same way after 12 months (and I still have another 9 months of it falling apart!). I'm planning on a MacBook Pro for next year purely because it's got an aluminium body and it's going to be dragged around a lot.

The point about OSX only has to accommodate a few configs really holds water - it was designed by the same people who designed the hardware so they know what they need from an OS, not Windows who have to design in EVERY SINGLE config known to man (almost!).

I loved OSX as an OS, I can't wait to go back. Of course, I will be dual booting through Bootcamp so I can still play games :biggrin:
Reply 3
Same reason why we buy ipods with out even looking at the other mp3/mp4 players on the market

** Just to throw it out there I don't own a mac nor have ever owned one (but I do have a superfluous collection of ipods), I have used macs in the past, they're cool, what I don't get is the hate, yes they're expensive, but if you don't have the money, or think that they're crap, don't buy one
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Minotauro
Same reason why we buy ipods with out even looking at the other mp3/mp4 players on the market

Not everybody does that. I use an mp3.
i have a mac because I need it for Uni, I'm an animation student. We both use macs and windows but most of the time, windows crash. My macbook never crashed on me before, ever. oh and it's also pretty, hate on.
As someone who's fairly unimpressed though not phased by Apple products, I will say this. Their design is absolutely impeccable.

Other PC manufacturers are beginning to catch up, but only by creating ridiculously similar replicas to Apple products. Most Windows machines are still absolutely horrid plasticky affairs. They're made up of a zillion plastic parts, screwed together and covered in air vents. Macs however are sleek, professional and solid. How on Earth no PC manufacturer has tacked on that design matters, I haven't a clue.
because we like macs?
its like asking why do some people use dell rather than hp, or have a samsung phone rather than a nokia

to me macs are just more reliable - the white plastic ones do have a tendency to crack sometimes, but it still outweighs the negatives to me!
Reply 8
Macbooks have unparalleled build quality, customer service, and all-round performance for their price. Aesthetics too.
That isn't to say you can't get perfectly good laptops for a lot less, but you would struggle to find one with all the advantages of a Macbook for any less.

I use a Windows-based laptop, by the way.
Reply 9
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
As someone who's fairly unimpressed though not phased by Apple products, I will say this. Their design is absolutely impeccable.

Other PC manufacturers are beginning to catch up, but only by creating ridiculously similar replicas to Apple products. Most Windows machines are still absolutely horrid plasticky affairs. They're made up of a zillion plastic parts, screwed together and covered in air vents. Macs however are sleek, professional and solid. How on Earth no PC manufacturer has tacked on that design matters, I haven't a clue.

Spot on. Apple products look good, but in terms of functionality there is no real magnetism for me to prefer a Mac over a Windows machine, and in my opinion (maybe because it's under a desk, etc) most people who have Windows computers aren't necessarily too concerned over what a computer looks like - so long as it gets the job done.

Of course, we could always turn to building our own, but doing so is just out of reach for most computer users as they lack the know how to do so.
Reply 10
I have both a MacBook Air and a HP laptop running windows 7, and I just prefer the MacBook. It's thin, and I like the design. I like how easy it is to use, the design of the OS and I download a lot of things so the virus situation is more comfortable for me.
My boyfriend however is a gamer, and for games on steam etc, windows is the best option. It really depends on you!
Reply 11
Original post by LilMonster
i have a mac because I need it for Uni, I'm an animation student. We both use macs and windows but most of the time, windows crash. My macbook never crashed on me before, ever. oh and it's also pretty, hate on.

Windows only crash if they're on a painfully slow network. Windows isn't inheriantly crash prone - but I think for a server or three to support a 1000 + computers on one network without experiencing slow down is such an enormously mega task.

Windows, despite it's rep for being slow and crash prone, is complete and total bunk. We use Macs at college, and they, for connecting to our computer network - is sluggish also.
Reply 12
Its because of how it looks to be honest. All the hardware arguments are null and void. I built my own desktop for around £1000 (bit more now after add ons) and it ****s on any mac you can get for a similar price. To be honest it's beats even the most expensive one. I have a netbook for portability and a laptop for the inbetween things. Macs do look good, I will agree but to be honest, for the price, that's all you are getting. You can get better build quality for cheaper, better hardware for much cheaper and if you want to game, you have to go elsewhere. It's all about the looks.

If you configure it correctly, windows works just as well and is much more flexible. Macs are for people who are either too thick or too lazy to configure their own computer for what they need it for. For media, a pc can be just as good if you know what you are doing.

In short, people buy macs for looks, laziness and because they have more money than sense
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Macs are nice, not nice enough to justify the expense tho imo given pc's are nearly as nice and will do everything you need for uni plus play games.

One of my lecturers used a mac to prepare their powerpoints to show us on the uni pc's... Every so often a slide would **** up meaning there's some compatibility issues between mac and pc versions of powerpoint, probably not even apples fault but you wouldn't want it happening to you on a powerpoint you were showing on a uni pc and being assessed on.

Real world jobs apart from in hipster industries like advertising, you'll likely be using a pc anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by {Unregistered}
1. Aluminium Unibody: Aesthetically pleasing, seems pretty solid, no noticeable air vents, fairly light. Most other laptops (even those in the same price range) make extensive use of plastic in the body and the build quality will generally be lower, not only because of the plastic, but because the body is assembled in parts and may result in creaking and bending. Toshiba Portege series laptops and Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 is an exception.
2. Hardware / specs: Standard mobile processor instead of ULV one leading to better performance (Ask if you want an explanation). Most, if not all, other laptops with the same battery life (6+ hours) have ULV processors. User upgradability - I can upgrade to an SSD and add more RAM later on by myself instead of having to take it to Apple and pay a premium for the same upgrades.
3. Good connectivity: ethernet port, optical drive, thunderbolt port, firewire (all these things are usually not present in many PC "ultra-books").
4. Battery life: Following point 2...The battery life is comparable (and often better) than the ultra-books on the market, without compromising on performance with a ULV processor.
5. Software: Mac OSX - incredibly optmised for the hardware as OSX only has to deal with a fixed set of configurations of hardware and not provide guaranteed support for all configurations like Windows, Unix-based - so the memory management is better and free RAM is used in a more efficient manner, Secure - not because "derp I are c00l MaC don't GET ViruS lololol" but because Mac OSX's market share is too low for hackers and crackers to bother spending there resources on making viruses for it...not saying there are no viruses, but they are very few in comparison with Windows. Gestures - At first the cool gestures with swiping and multi-touch support feel like gimmicks but the more you use them, the more you like them and appreciate their usefulness in everyday computing. Xcode - so I can legally program apps for Mac OSX and iOS in Objective C.
6. Personal preference: I wanted to try something new and I hadn't ever used Mac OSX or an Apple product, so I decided to try it out. Basically, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
7. Durability: Or rather what I've heard of Apple MacBooks and how they are very reliable and last long. I want something that will last me the next 4 years and I didn't want to risk with anything of lower quality. (If I wanted to risk it, I would have definitely gone with the Sony S13, which is cheaper and packs a discrete GPU too. The only reason I didn't go with it is because I haven't had a great experience with Vaio's in the past and because of this: http://www.sonyvaiosucks.com :tongue:)

If I have missed anything, I will edit it in later. Feel free to comment on why you think I'm right or wrong, but please do make sure you can show me a comparable machine at a significantly lower price. Tip: The Toshiba Portege is the only line-up that comes close to the Apple MacBook line-up in terms of quality and performance...and you know what? They cost pretty much the same as the MacBooks. Keep in mind that I researched the laptop market for over a month before I bought this MBP last week.

Also, I have another Windows laptop (Toshiba Satellite L655) which I love, but I'm not taking to university due to low portability.

While I'm not throwing out your argument, most people just won't benefit from using a Mac laptop when a Windows laptop, configured correctly and kept up to date, will be more than they'll need.

If people want security and flexibility, Mac isn't the way to go. No, Linux is the way to go. OSX is a closed off operating system - owned by Apple, licensed to PC hardware.

I'm a computer user, not a laptop user; using a very bargain basement PC that just does everything, and nippily so. Unless I've not made my OP clear, why am I being quoted for laptop figures? They don't mean anything to me.

Why, therefore, if my Windows box can do everything I throw at it and more, would I want a Mac? Windows 7 is rock solid.
Reply 15
Original post by neon
Its because of how it looks to be honest. All the hardware arguments are null and void. I built my own desktop for around £1000 (bit more now after add ons) and it ****s on any mac you can get for a similar price. To be honest it's beats even the most expensive one. I have a netbook for portability and a laptop for the inbetween things. Macs do look good, I will agree but to be honest, for the price, that's all you are getting. You can get better build quality for cheaper, better hardware for much cheaper and if you want to game, you have to go elsewhere. It's all about the looks.

If you configure it correctly, windows works just as well and is much more flexible. Macs are for people who are either too thick or too lazy to configure their own computer for what they need it for. For media, a pc can be just as good if you know what you are doing.

In short, people buy macs for looks, laziness and because they have more money than sense

Thank you, somebody who has actually answered my question without acting like a sanctimonious douchebag. :rolleyes: But, because of all the Windows haters, you'll be negged for making possibly one of the truest comments I've heard about the Mac delusion.

Oh, and for the neggers - Don't you dare throw stability at me. Linux distribution is far, far more stable than Mac will ever be. Don't download on any dodgy links, keep protected, and you dont have to worry about Windows, either.

Most people are just idiots.
Reply 16
Original post by Kaitsurinu
I have both a MacBook Air and a HP laptop running windows 7, and I just prefer the MacBook. It's thin, and I like the design. I like how easy it is to use, the design of the OS and I download a lot of things so the virus situation is more comfortable for me.
My boyfriend however is a gamer, and for games on steam etc, windows is the best option. It really depends on you!

See, I'm the reverse. I can't get to grips with OSX, because I've learnt on a Windows machine and the Mac effectively rewrites everything you've learned on Windows.

Popular linux distributions like Linux Mint doesn't have to relearn the OS to get it to do something.
Original post by Chad_Bronson
Windows only crash if they're on a painfully slow network. Windows isn't inheriantly crash prone - but I think for a server or three to support a 1000 + computers on one network without experiencing slow down is such an enormously mega task.

Windows, despite it's rep for being slow and crash prone, is complete and total bunk. We use Macs at college, and they, for connecting to our computer network - is sluggish also.

we have separate networks for creative art students and another network for the rest of the uni, so we have a superfast network. macs are just better for creative subjects.
this thread is just stupid, the OP is obviously biased as he is contradicting everything mac users says, OP asks for why we have macs and OP slams you for having one wtf?

when OP learns to stop being a bigot, then ignore this post. HATE ON.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chad_Bronson
Thank you, somebody who has actually answered my question without acting like a sanctimonious douchebag. :rolleyes: But, because of all the Windows haters, you'll be negged for making possibly one of the truest comments I've heard about the Mac delusion.

Oh, and for the neggers - Don't you dare throw stability at me. Linux distribution is far, far more stable than Mac will ever be. Don't download on any dodgy links, keep protected, and you dont have to worry about Windows, either.

Most people are just idiots.

No, he hasn't "answered" your question; he simply stated what you wanted to hear to support your cause. There is little wrong with what was said in post 2 but you completely ignored that due to your own blinkered views.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending