The Student Room Group

The Lad Bible

For anyone living under a rock: http://www.theladbible.com/

This site has amassed a huge cult following. Normally I wouldn't even notice, but the moral values it teaches are:

- Women are inferior
- Public sexual acts are awesome
- Binging is the normal way of things

And so on.

Does nobody else find it a bit worrying?

For example, they've promoted the term 'Wench' so much that now the term is being used when I'm out in pubs/clubs. Getting 'back in the kitchen' is called out regularly (jokingly), and I just worry that the majority of people are taking it seriously rather than as a joke.

discuter.

Edit:

Just posting with 'It's just a joke' is a pretty weak statement to be honest, you may know it's a joke but trust me, alot of idiots take it seriously. If you do still think it's just a lol-sesh, please read some essays on the Stepford wives :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Full of pricks, but I do like the term wench.
Reply 2
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Full of pricks, but I do like the term wench.

You hypocrite :P
Reply 3
Its very insulting.

the insult girls whilst trying their hardest to get with them which makes them look rude,stupid and desperate.

And any intelligent and secure girl would not trust one of these lads as a bf as they seem to make a sport out of leading many girls on at once.
Reply 4
Well it's mainly sexist to women. But remember that the kids having a laugh about it are going to grow up and decide whether to hire or fire the next generation, and they'll probably have sexism ingrained in them by then :P
Reply 5
Original post by kunoichi
Its very insulting.

the insult girls whilst trying their hardest to get with them which makes them look rude,stupid and desperate.

And any intelligent and secure girl would not trust one of these lads as a bf as they seem to make a sport out of leading many girls on at once.

I guess there's also a 'lass bible'... so they both cancel each other out?

End of the day, it's just a bit of lighthearted fun made by both males and females about the opposite gender, no harm in it really.
Reply 6
Inb4 RollandGarros
Reply 7
Original post by AH94

End of the day, it's just a bit of lighthearted fun made by both males and females about the opposite gender, no harm in it really.

The Lass bible started afterwards and is nowhere near as big.

Besides, it's conforming gender roles, which is kinda a step backwards.
It's like kids who watched Ali G or Keith Lemon, all the adults realised he was a mock character/joke, but the kids didn't.

So they glorify it and take it seriously, and then you end up with sexual divisions again :/
It is pretty ****ing lame in my opinion, I saw one picture where a guy had supposedly shaved his head because his girlfriend had cancer.

Now to me there is nothing laddish about this, I shave my head every week. If he had done something a little more inconvenient to show solidarity then maybe I'd have had respect for him.

Also anyone who uses the word 'lad' in this this context is invariably not a 'lad'.
Reply 9
Some of it used to be funny, now it's just super boring
Every week my boyfriend and I pick our favourites out of "cleavage thursdays" :tongue:

I think for most guys it is a bit of fun and they don't actually think like that... and most decent women can spot and avoid the 'lad' type from several miles away.

The general rule is that the more someone boasts about sex, the more of their free time they spend alone playing x-box and masturbating.
Reply 11
Original post by AH94

Supposedly just a bit of fun, far too many men taking it seriously.

And the lass bible isnt very well known tbh and girls dont walk around being 'lasses' and being pricks to guys for the sake of being a 'lass'
It was done in retaliation to the lad bible anyway i think.
This is the first time I've come across this and I wish I could take back the entire 5 seconds spent browsing that site.
Reply 13
Original post by alexmagpie

I think for most guys it is a bit of fun and they don't actually think like that...

To be honests more guys are growing up listening to the Lad bible and taking it seriously, and even if on the surface they ignore it it will inculcate gender divisions in every aspect of their life. One of them could even end up a politician, god forbid.

But hey, if you're happy to get back in the kitchen make me a sandwich whilst you're there wench.
Reply 14
The Lad Bible is a symptom of lad culture, not the cause of it. I think you are seriously overstating its impact on daily life.
Reply 15
Never bothered to read it until just now.

Obviously it is entertainment, and seems to be trying it's best to be over the top in order for people to KNOW that it's simply a joke.

"Commandments" such as "Thou shall penetrate thy best mates mum for banter" are OBVIOUSLY not meant to be taken seriously.

Anyone who takes this as anything more than a joke site is an idiot, IMHO.
Reply 16
Silence Wench
Reply 17
Original post by dgeorge
Never bothered to read it until just now.

Obviously it is entertainment, and seems to be trying it's best to be over the top in order for people to KNOW that it's simply a joke.

"Commandments" such as "Thou shall penetrate thy best mates mum for banter" are OBVIOUSLY not meant to be taken seriously.

Anyone who takes this as anything more than a joke site is an idiot, IMHO.

The simple truth is that it will still impact people, and still influence them to some degree. I'll grant that the majority of people I see are idiots, but I do find it worrying that it's now not only ok, but expected, to use a get back in thekitchen line if a girl does something on her own.
Reply 18
Kinda reminds me of the "EXTREME" guys from Harold & Kumar... Anything and everything to impress their pathetic little friends, but when they get back in their car, they're listening to girly 80's songs.

I'm implying by this that when the top button of a "lads'" fred perry polo shirt is undone, they invariably become pussies.
complainingLAD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending