The Student Room Group

Tired of the Muslim Myth

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Arturo Bandini
This is cultural behaviour not religious behaviour.

Why do the most backward and primitive cultures almost always occur in one-religion nations with religious governments and religious laws?

Because religions were made thousands of years ago and their teachings are not relevant in a modern, civilised world. Christianity and other religions have adapted - they have become more tolerant and they have left government. Islam just seems to be the last one to get the memo.
Reply 21
Yeah. I'm a crazy lunatic who goes ape**** at stupid things. I'm planning on storming the Russian embassy, maybe the Mexican too.

Seriously, if every Muslim was as psychotic as you say, there'd probably be no humans left on the planet.
Sigh~ I really will live in a cave and eat bananas.
Original post by travoot
You only belittle yourself by equating criticism of a religion and it's followers with wanton street thuggery and neo-nazism, assuming of course that you were referencing the famous EDL interview. Ironic then that you do little more than prove you belong more with EDL idiots than you do with critiquing one persons belief in a fair and honest discussion.

EDIT: That's not to say that I agree with the OP.

Judging an entire religion by the acts of a few of its members. A lot of histories serial killers are white, do we then make threads saying that we're tired "of the white myth" . I don't agree with the acts of these people, but the film itself is abuse of freedom of speech. Not to say that anyone, belief or ideology is immune from criticism, but when the sole purpose of something is to purely offend and not create any legitimate debate or insight, who are we to say they should not be offended.

I'm not condoning this action i feel its despicable, but i'm sure if we the human race didn't go out of our way to offend each other for no legitimate reason, this stuff would NOT be happening.
Reply 23
Original post by Nathan.Boyd
1. The vast majority was appalled by the riots, and the rioters were punished.
2. The riots were perpetrated by idiots and thugs. At least they weren't so deluded that they believed ther actions were demanded by their absurd religion.
3. It makes no difference if the British embassy was stormed in Sudan. The Americans were part of the coalition which supported efforts in Libya, even if they did not send planes, and in return their ambassoder is murdered. These people are happy to take from the West but still hate the West.

You should really read properly....cos the majority of what I posted was from another user who was accredited, only the last paragraph is applicable to me.

Really? despite the fact their are numerous stories even hadiths how the prophet was insulted, spat at, stoned and guess what he didn't care, he didn't fight at all :rolleyes: You are just like the people who are going around attacking these different embassies, just being misled by local media without showing both sides of the story.

Now your going completely going off topic, yes it was wrong what they did, this is down to a minority yet you are here saying its Islam, if its Islam then why isn't as someone said in another thread "why isn't London burning" or any other cities in the west especially America with a large Muslim population......why, its because they don't get misled, they have been educated to their faith and numerous sources to get a view.
1. Obviously the number of rioters is a minority - but it is not a small minority when compared to any other religion.

2. The killers are representatives. When 9/11 or 7/7 happened, why did we not storm the embassies of Muslim nations and murder the innocent people there? Because we are not a savage civilisation. But every Muslim nation in the world has such a flawed society that overnight they can raise a huge murderous mob in response to a harmless video. And the newly-elected governments - representatives of the people - condemn the violence in public but how much effort have they put into stopping the violence or catching the criminals? The Egyptian government think that protests should happen over the video - America didn't make the video!

7/7 was done by British born people, what foreign embassy would people storm?
"Because we are not savage civilisation" Yes, it's because this is a rich country with reasonably intelligent people in it. Notice how there weren't any protests in Turkey or Qatar or UAE despite the fact these are muslim countries.

They're not representatives, just like the EDL aren't representatives of English people.
Not every muslim nation has a flawed society, though quite a lot do.
They've put quite a lot of effort, by putting lots of police and soldiers to guard the embassies. The Egyptian government advised a peaceful protest over the video, not against Americans or America.
Every thread on TSR, every liberal in the world says the same thing: 'The violent Muslims are a small minority of the Muslim community. Most Muslims are peaceful and condemn violence and those who commit violence are not true Muslims.'

Bull.

People say this because they do not want to seem racist and politicians say it because they are afraid of deepening the divide between Muslims and non-Muslims in their country.

In reaction to a video, Muslims in at least 11 countries around the world have killed and rioted. A video created by a handful of Americans leads Muslims around the world to not only kill Americans, but also storm embassies of Germany and UK - simply because they are white western countries.

It's disgusting. The Libyan people were desperate and crying out for help. The Americans backed the UN action which saved their lives and freed them. They respons by killing the US ambassader.

So overall, Islam breeds savagery and I do not get why 'freedom of religion' is held in such high importance. Islam is a cult that brainwashes children and leads them to value pride over life - but it is protected by human rights. People are schocked by scientology - they call it a dangerous cult - but I would replace every Muslim in this country with a scientologist if I could. When was the last time a scientologist riot happened; when was the last time a scientologist blew up innocent people because they want to attribute glory to their pathetic empty existence?

cool story bro:cool:
Just thought I'd throw this into the mix:

'The British think tank Quilliam has argued that the attackers in Libya were too heavily armed and organized to merely be angry protesters, suggesting that the American fatalities in Benghazi were the result of a pre-planned revenge attack by al-Qaeda for the killing of Abu Yahya al-Libi three months prior and the protest outside the consulate was just a diversion'
Reply 27
Original post by TheEssence
Judging an entire religion by the acts of a few of its members. A lot of histories serial killers are white, do we then make threads saying that we're tired "of the white myth" . I don't agree with the acts of these people, but the film itself is abuse of freedom of speech. Not to say that anyone, belief or ideology is immune from criticism, but when the sole purpose of something is to purely offend and not create any legitimate debate or insight, who are we to say they should not be offended.

I'm not condoning this action i feel its despicable, but i'm sure if we the human race didn't go out of our way to offend each other for no legitimate reason, this stuff would NOT be happening.

I never said, nor inferred that you condoned anything, if that's the message I got across, then I apolgoise. With that being said, the greatest foundation of our liberal democratic system is the freedom of thought and speech, freedoms that are essential in perpetuating a freer society. There should never be freedom from having ones feelings hurt as this is detrimental to society as a whole. I'm offended every day, but equally I've the ability to offend anyone I choose - and rightly so.

Think about it, what justification can there be (and again, I'm not inferring that you have justified recent events, I'm merely running through my thoughts) for violence, criminality and murder, not simply in the name of a religion, but in the name of 'being offended'. It's absolutely ludicrous.

EDIT: Also, I've just read through your post again and noticed you use the term 'abuse of freedom of speech', or some such. This is an absolutely disgusting prospect, to limit ones own freedoms without threatening harm to another individual. Ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
1. Obviously the number of rioters is a minority - but it is not a small minority when compared to any other religion.

2. The killers are representatives. When 9/11 or 7/7 happened, why did we not storm the embassies of Muslim nations and murder the innocent people there? Because we are not a savage civilisation. But every Muslim nation in the world has such a flawed society that overnight they can raise a huge murderous mob in response to a harmless video. And the newly-elected governments - representatives of the people - condemn the violence in public but how much effort have they put into stopping the violence or catching the criminals? The Egyptian government think that protests should happen over the video - America didn't make the video!

1. I agree with this up to a point - compared to Christianity and Judaism, Islam has a lot of radicals. However, if you compare with Indian Hindus, you find that they can often be as aggressive towards muslims as muslims are towards the west.

2. No, we invaded two countries and attempted to wipe the Islamists off the face of the Earth. We propped up oppressive dictatorships across the region for a decade to suppress their people, and we formed groups like the BNP and EDL, and their far worse American equivalents with a xenophobic and primarily anti-Islamic agenda and very violent methods. We started witch hunts for "terrorists" who turned out to be completely innocent and tortured hundreds if not thousands in Guantamano with no reliable evidence to link them to Islamist groups.

Even today we are occupying one Muslim country and have a bombing campaign in its neighbour that is primarily killing civilians based on false intel from informants we are effectively bribing to betray their countrymen. We're also conducting acts of sabotage and assassination against another muslim country we are afraid may be building nuclear weapons.

Every month we kill more unarmed, innocent muslims than were killed in all the terrorist attacks of the last two decades combined. We're not exactly pussyfooting around! If these were intentional we'd be committing genocide.

I'd say the Egyptian government don't have any way to actually stop the protesters, and are a bit afraid of pissing them off by refusing to attack the video. Also, Egyptian security forces shot a number of people attempting to attack the US embassy in Egypt today, and they have set up proxy protests in Tahir square etc to draw people away from the embassies.

You know what, I reckon this isn't really about that one film - I think we've given Muslims plenty else to be angry with us about and this is the culmination of a decades of conflict between our societies simply boiling over. They understandably don't like us all that much.

And while I think this is atrocious, it can't really be just about Islam - where are the riots from British born muslims in east London? There's no outrage there, a brief press release from some muslim NGOs but mostly just apathy. There's something more at work here.
Original post by travoot
I never said, nor inferred that you condoned anything, if that's the message I got across, then I apolgoise. With that being said, the greatest foundation of our liberal democratic system is the freedom of thought and speech, freedoms that are essential in perpetuating a freer society. There should never be freedom from having ones feelings hurt as this is detrimental to society as a whole. I'm offended every day, but equally I've the ability to offend anyone I choose - and rightly so.

Think about it, what justification can there be (and again, I'm not inferring that you have justified recent events, I'm merely running through my thoughts) for violence, criminality and murder, not simply in the name of a religion, but in the name of 'being offended'. It's absolutely ludicrous.

EDIT: Also, I've just read through your post again and noticed you use the term 'abuse of freedom of speech', or some such. This is an absolutely disgusting prospect, to limit ones own freedoms without threatening harm to another individual. Ridiculous.

Don't forget to add tolerance to that list as well. Believe it or not though there are limits to tolerance too, there are limits to freedom, and there are limits to speech. Inciting racial hatred is a crime, and we are not allowed to carry out any act we desire if it does not follow the law, which is a limit on our freedom.

Believe it or not, freedom of speech can be abused. As i said above if one uses his freedom of speech to incite hatred, that is plain abuse, with every ounce of power any entity is gifted with, there is room for abuse.

I'm not saying religion is free of criticism, but this film was not criticism, just plain offensive looking to incite tension and uproar. If i came into your house and insulted your mother how would you feel? You'd probably say you'd do nothing, but i'm sure at least one member of your close or extended family would get physical if i insulted their mother.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
7/7 was done by British born people, what foreign embassy would people storm?

If we take a leaf from the book of the people storming embassies right now (figure of speech, I don't mean the Quran), then the closest embassy with brown people in it. What I mean is that British and German embassies have been attacked, despite the fact the video came from the USA (as far as we know anyway). So presumably they just attacked them because they are white.

Original post by Dhaal_Chawal

Not every muslim nation has a flawed society, though quite a lot do.

I disagree. Every nation has a flawed society in some way :wink:

Original post by pol pot noodles
Just thought I'd throw this into the mix:

'The British think tank Quilliam has argued that the attackers in Libya were too heavily armed and organized to merely be angry protesters, suggesting that the American fatalities in Benghazi were the result of a pre-planned revenge attack by al-Qaeda for the killing of Abu Yahya al-Libi three months prior and the protest outside the consulate was just a diversion'

Wouldn't surprise me. Considering the video has been kicking around for ages without being noticed, I bet someone intentionally brought it into the limelight to whip people into an anti-Western frenzy. Do we even know where the video came from? For all we know it could have been commissioned by an Islamist organisation for that purpose.
Reply 31
Original post by Psyk
If we take a leaf from the book of the people storming embassies right now (figure of speech, I don't mean the Quran), then the closest embassy with brown people in it. What I mean is that British and German embassies have been attacked, despite the fact the video came from the USA (as far as we know anyway). So presumably they just attacked them because they are white.

Wouldn't surprise me. Considering the video has been kicking around for ages without being noticed, I bet someone intentionally brought it into the limelight to whip people into an anti-Western frenzy. Do we even know where the video came from? For all we know it could have been commissioned by an Islamist organisation for that purpose.

German embassy likely attacked over recent court ruling that circumcising children was assault and outlawed, effectively forbidding common Jewish and Muslim religious practices. British embassy next door, angry mobs often have poor aim.

Video was made by Egyptian Coptic Christian ex-pats. Has nothing whatsoever to do with America, was simply filmed by someone living there. Has existed for a while without notice, but was publicised widely two days ago by Islamist websites. Yeah, trying to whip people into a frenzy very likely. Possibly entire thing is a smokescreen for the attacks, which were certainly very well planned.
Original post by Psyk

Well it's fairly obvious why the British embassy was attacked. We are the USA's greatest allies. As for the German embassy, I believe it was something to do with Chancellor Merkel giving the danish cartoonist some sort of award.
Reply 33
Don't forget to add tolerance to that list as well. Believe it or not though there are limits to tolerance too, there are limits to freedom, and there are limits to speech. Inciting racial hatred is a crime, and we are not allowed to carry out any act we desire if it does not follow the law, which is a limit on our freedom.

Believe it or not, freedom of speech can be abused. As i said above if one uses his freedom of speech to incite hatred, that is plain abuse, with every ounce of power any entity is gifted with, there is room for abuse.

I'm not saying religion is free of criticism, but this film was not criticism, just plain offensive looking to incite tension and uproar. If i came into your house and insulted your mother how would you feel? You'd probably say you'd do nothing, but i'm sure at least one member of your close or extended family would get physical if i insulted their mother.

There's a big difference between breaking into somebody's home and producing a film that upsets the feelings of savages. All of the abrahamic belief systems disgust me, neigh, they offend me. Yet I live by the basic principle of live and let life, freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it-- Voltaire.

I'll leave with you a brilliant quote for you to consider, whilst you contemplate an argument that stands up to inspection.
Reply 34
Original post by The Mr Z
German embassy likely attacked over recent court ruling that circumcising children was assault and outlawed, effectively forbidding common Jewish and Muslim religious practices. British embassy next door, angry mobs often have poor aim.

Well what are these angry mobs trying to achieve if they don't even make it clear what they're angry about? And if it really was because of the circumcision thing, it really does show how stupid these people are, considering Germany hasn't banned circumcision at all, and in fact the government has publicly said they support the practice. Ah, but who cares about the details, they clearly just want to smash stuff up.
Original post by travoot
There's a big difference between breaking into somebody's home and producing a film that upsets the feelings of savages. All of the abrahamic belief systems disgust me, neigh, they offend me. Yet I live by the basic principle of live and let life, freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it-- Voltaire.

I'll leave with you a brilliant quote for you to consider, whilst you contemplate an argument that stands up to inspection.

seems like you're reading straight out of Andrew Heywood's "Political Ideologies"

There is a difference, but for a religious person, insulting their God is even worse than insulting ones mother. I'm not saying it's right, but just as a boy deals in drugs and get shot to which everyone says "play with fire and get burnt" , the same can be said for this. making such a film is playing with fire. Were there riots after the "Life of Mohammed" films? or the "Islam:untold story" documentaries? no they were not there to offend but for a legitimate purpose
Reply 36
Original post by Psyk
Well what are these angry mobs trying to achieve if they don't even make it clear what they're angry about? And if it really was because of the circumcision thing, it really does show how stupid these people are, considering Germany hasn't banned circumcision at all, and in fact the government has publicly said they support the practice. Ah, but who cares about the details, they clearly just want to smash stuff up.

You expected a high level of rationality from an angry mob? :s-smilie:

Although, the worlds media managed to come up with that one anyway. If they're right, the mob managed to get their message out even without being clear. If they're wrong, then it kinda proves your point!

You expected an angry mob to pay attention to detail?

It's less about them wanting to smash stuff and more about religious leaders wanting to whip them up. It's how they maintain their power and influence. Oh sorry, how cynical of me.
Reply 37

Bad example, with the mother thing. You directly insulted my mother, so I'd take out my aggressions on you - not the first Americans you can find, especially one who was very passionate about making the Middle East a better place.

An equivalent would be, hypothetically lets say you're an Asian man, if I insulted you mother how would you feel? Would you do something to another Asian man?

Also what's with the bit about being in who's house? Last time I checked the Americans were helping the Libyans take back their own 'house' not trying to claim them for themselves.

Overall, just my two pence, from what I have seen, this is a minority of people, although it's a larger minority, if that makes sense then in other religious groups. This is probably because people in poorer countries will be less educated and more prone to being brainwashed into becoming fundamentalist Muslims and not being able to change it, although saying that it doesn't help that in some bits of the Quran it would say that what those people have done is a good thing.
Reply 38
Original post by travoot

So you actually believe that we have actual unrestricted freedom of expression in Britain or in the west in general? Why are people not allowed to spout racist, homophobic or antisemitic insults at specific sort of people? Is it not to ensure these respective group of people are not 'offended'? Holocaust denial (an opinion) for example is a crime in many democraic western states. A racist, mysoginist or a homophobe is also not allowed to say discriminate against those protected groups hence their freedom is hugely restricted when they are not physically threatening any of the said group.

There should little issue with the government adding another minority group if it can be ascertained that offending such minority will create such mayhem it is better to class such offence as hate crime to promote peace and harmony in society. Freedom of expression has always had exceptions/caveats and granting islamophophia the same status as antisemiticism will only help calm things down.
Reply 39
seems like you're reading straight out of Andrew Heywood's "Political Ideologies"

There is a difference, but for a religious person, insulting their God is even worse than insulting ones mother. I'm not saying it's right, but just as a boy deals in drugs and get shot to which everyone says "play with fire and get burnt" , the same can be said for this. making such a film is playing with fire. Were there riots after the "Life of Mohammed" films? or the "Islam:untold story" documentaries? no they were not there to offend but for a legitimate purpose

Perhaps you should spend more time reading said book, maybe then you'll be able to debate grown up topics with grown up individuals.. If someone murders for the sake of a religion, then they are barbaric savages. Why is this so hard to get through your thick headed skull?

I believe that Islam, Christianity and Judaism are a plague upon this Earth. The belief systems themselves, let alone the fundamentalists within them, offend my very sensibilities. Yet I don't think they deserve to die every single time their beliefs sicken me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending