Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Working as a PG student at Sussex University

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, All:

This is my second post to the group regarding Sussex as I am leaning more and more toward coming here as a PG student next September/October. I intend to study development studies at IDS or SPRU.

I will fund the MA/MSc. program on my own. But I have the option as an international student (U.S.) to work 20 hours per week. Within this capacity, I would like to find out if generally there are opportunities to work for the faculty for 10-15 hours a week doing a PG research and/or other academic work. This may enhance my own research and/or networking with the academic staff.

Additionally, what are the non-academic working options within the university and how much do the jobs usually pay?

I'd grateful for your feedback, if possible.

Thanks.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    At most UK Unis there is a way of signing up emails from the Uni Careers Centre about term-time job vacancies. Other stuff will get advertised on campus noticeboards etc so keep your eyes open. Make sure your Head of Dept or similar *knows* you want p/t work before you arrive - teaching hours tend to get handed out early.

Off campus, Brighton is a vibrant seaside/tourist town with heaps of large international standard hotels, resturants etc etc. There is also lots of temp admin/office work availiable via Employment Agencies ( seehttp://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/brighton?keywords=part-time as just one example). If you arent too choosy about what you do, then getting some sort of part-time work wont be difficult - you are bright and speak English, thats two major bonuses!

PS. At a similar University I get paid 500 pounds per 10 week term for teaching 10 first year undergraduates for 1 hour a week plus marking essays etc etc. I have also done casual Uni Library work at about 7 or 8 pounds an hour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi -- thank you so much for your brilliant feedback. I will definitely contact, if admitted, my adviser for working research and/or teaching opportunities. The amount of earnings and number of hours you indicated would be perfect for me.

Thanks for sharing the job link. Take care.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.