The Student Room Group

Full-Time Masters?

Hi guys! :smile:

I just have a question, I know it can seems pretty stupid but it's very important to me!

I'm going to start an Msc in International Business and I have the possibility to take full-time or part-time (just asked the guy from the uni and he said yes)..

I got my Bachelor in the same field but I worked more than others on it and then I was wondering about my Master..

Most of people take it as a part-time because they want to work in parallel, in my case I was willing to get a part-time because I'm afraid of the workload.. I took a loan for my Master and I'm stuck with that stupid choice to make, because like everyone else, I have a loan and therefore I'd like to get a full-time but I'm so afraid I won't be able to handle it because first English is not my first language so I'll have to focus more, and also because I know me very well and I know that I need time to do some good work..

The thing is I really want to do a Master even if I doubt the utility ect, it's a personal choice, I'm also thinking at what I'm going to do for later, my future ect.. and I don't want to rush things also, so I thought that a part-time could give me some time also to fix myself..

Can someone tell me if a full-time master is that hard to handle?Someone who went through that? I have to give the answer soon, son any advices are welcome, thanks guys!

Btw: I will have 8 modules plus a 15000 words dissertation (12 hours a week class)
(edited 11 years ago)
I would recommend part time.
Reply 2
I've just finished a full-time Masters - 3 modules per semester (20 points each) and a 15-20,000 word dissertation (60 points). We had 6 hours a week contact time and were expected to spend the rest of the time researching. I found it manageable but very focussed, with dissertation work taking 7 days a week for part of the summer. I've not seen much of my friends in the past year. Luckily I didn't have to do paid work at the same time.

It was hard work but do-able.
Reply 3
Thanks for the adivces guys,

Was it do able like do able? not to the extent for not being able to sleep because of meeting deadlines ect?

Overall:

1) If I take full-time I'll have to take responsibility for not getting bad grades and manage deadlines ect not to fail and re take a year (cons)
2) The full-time will allow me to finish quickly (prons)
3) Some people say employers prefer full-time (?) (prons)

On the other hand:

1)The part time will allow me to be more relax with my studies (prons)
2) It will allow me to get a job if I ever manage to get one while studying (so more experience) (prons)
3) More realistic for me, more do able (prons)
4) I don't know If I'll be able to get a job (cons)
4) Maybe I'll end up having too much free time if I don't get a job (so a waste) (cons)
5) It is going to be 2 years, and I don't know if I'll be motivated enough (cons)

I need some external help, because I've been telling myself that kind of thing but I still can't make a proper decision, each time I keep changing my mind..
Reply 4
Ultimately only you can make the decision. We can't say how motivated you'll be, how well you can take responsibility for your grades (and bad grades/poor time management can happen on part-time courses as well), whether you'll be able to get a job etc. However, retaking the year is rarely an option with a Masters. If you fail, you fail (unless there are extenuating circumstances, in which case you may be granted extensions to coursework or the dissertation).

I think the idea of listing pros and cons of each option are a good way for you to take an objective view of your situation. So far on full-time you have more pros than cons. On part-time you have equal number of pros and cons. Keep thinking of more to add to your personal list.
Reply 5
Thanks, yes I guess it's definitely up to me in the end, I'll take more time to think about it.. if you have anything to add later, do not hesitate,

Thanks again xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending