The Student Room Group

physics in maths

I was deciding between doing physics or maths (or computer science), when i saw that (at least in Cambridge's course) you can choose to do a lot of physics related modules (classical mechanics, quantum physics, electromagnetism). I was just wondering when you study such modules how much of the physics you learn, as in do you just learn the related maths or do learn about the physical theories at all?
Reply 1
Original post by Nick_
I was deciding between doing physics or maths (or computer science), when i saw that (at least in Cambridge's course) you can choose to do a lot of physics related modules (classical mechanics, quantum physics, electromagnetism). I was just wondering when you study such modules how much of the physics you learn, as in do you just learn the related maths or do learn about the physical theories at all?

The emphasis is certainly on the mathematical aspect, but they do tell you why what you are learning is relevant and explore how each component of the maths relates to real physical systems. I would say though that the only difference between a physics degree and the applied maths modules is that they take longer to explore how to do experiments and look at practical things like circuits and how they work. A mathematician isn't interested in things like inductors except as an example of a differential equation. Obviously the maths is also slightly easier, but by much less than you think.

Quick Reply

Latest