The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE and GCSEs

Okay, I have been on the LSE forum for weeks and have literally read all threads asking about 'Do I have a chance?'.

I get the following impression:

GCSEs are not the be all and end all. Plenty of people get accepted with lower GCSEs.
AS Level UMS/ predictions for A2 have a much stronger role.
Strong PS explaining interest for course is also a good thing.

But I still feel like, despite this, people don't seem to deny that LSE want a certain number of A*s. In threads, people don't deny it, they just say 'well it is possible with lower'.

So how possible? Seriously, how much of a role do GCSEs play in the application process. Or will getting poor GCSE results but 90%+ average through AS Levels bring you through?

TL;DR. I know GCSEs aren't everything in application process. But how common is it for people with poor GCSEs but strong PS/ UMS to receive an offer?
Original post by PrinceUpsb
Okay, I have been on the LSE forum for weeks and have literally read all threads asking about 'Do I have a chance?'.

GCSEs are not the be all and end all. Plenty of people get accepted with lower GCSEs.

But I still feel like, despite this, people don't seem to deny that LSE want a certain number of A*s. In threads, people don't deny it, they just say 'well it is possible with lower'.

So how possible? Seriously, how much of a role do GCSEs play in the application process. Or will getting poor GCSE results but 90%+ average through AS Levels bring you through?

TL;DR. I know GCSEs aren't everything in application process. But how common is it for people with poor GCSEs but strong PS/ UMS to receive an offer?

LSE don't normally ask for UMS marks, so they're not overly important unless you get asked for them.

Below is a quote from an admissions tutor: "results you have outlined" were 5.5A*s, 5.5As.

"In terms of GCSE requirements we do not have any specific guidelines on
the number of A*s we are looking for. The results you have outlined
would certainly be considered as strong grades at GCSE. Similarly, we do
not have specific requirements for average UMS marks; our decision would
be based on your final grades, be they at AS or A2"
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by The Polymath
LSE don't normally ask for UMS marks, so they're not overly important unless you get asked for them.

Below is a quote from an admissions tutor: "results you have outlined" were 5.5A*s, 5.5As.

"In terms of GCSE requirements we do not have any specific guidelines on
the number of A*s we are looking for. The results you have outlined
would certainly be considered as strong grades at GCSE. Similarly, we do
not have specific requirements for average UMS marks; our decision would
be based on your final grades, be they at AS or A2"

Many thanks, V helpful!

So they look at AS Level results and A2 predictions opposed to UMS?
Many thanks, V helpful!

So they look at AS Level results and A2 predictions opposed to UMS?

Yes. Apparently they sometimes ask for UMS scores for some courses, but even then it might just be for one subject (e.g. Maths UMS for Economics), and also it seems to be rare (rare for any university in fact, other than Cambridge).

Certainly people might pick Oxford over Cambridge purely on UMS grounds - if they got 80s but strong GCSEs then Oxford could view them far more highly than someone with 95s and weak GCSEs, as they wouldn't know the UMS marks.
Yes. Apparently they sometimes ask for UMS scores for some courses, but even then it might just be for one subject (e.g. Maths UMS for Economics), and also it seems to be rare (rare for any university in fact, other than Cambridge).

Certainly people might pick Oxford over Cambridge purely on UMS grounds - if they got 80s but strong GCSEs then Oxford could view them far more highly than someone with 95s and weak GCSEs, as they wouldn't know the UMS marks.

For Economics, they ask you for UMS in all your AS-levels not just maths.
Original post by Melikeyflute

Interesting. Is that for any Economics degree? (Philosophy and Economics would be different I assume?)
Interesting. Is that for any Economics degree? (Philosophy and Economics would be different I assume?)

I'm afraid I don't know about that.
Reply 7

Very interesting! Are you speaking from personal experience or you just know?
Very interesting! Are you speaking from personal experience or you just know?

Personal experience
Personal experience

Hi I am applying to LSE for Economics as well and I am extremely scared about UMS scores, I have been to Cambridge open day and I felt like LSE is much better for me. Do you think my UMS stands a chance? In maths I got 87 on average and further I got 81 on average. I finished both in yr 11 and 12 so I got average for both for all 12 units. I had A*A AABE in Math/FM/Eco/Phy/Politics/Critical thinking for AS. 5A* 1A 2B and 4Dist BTECs. I got predicted A*A*A*B for FM/Eco/Phy and Politics.
I am also doing Further additional maths in a year. But I got really low S1/2 UMS 73 75 respectively and over 90 for all cores normal. I am really scared.

thank you
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jackfinance17
Hi I am applying to LSE for Economics as well and I am extremely scared about UMS scores, I have been to Cambridge open day and I felt like LSE is much better for me. Do you think my UMS stands a chance? In maths I got 87 on average and further I got 81 on average. I finished both in yr 11 and 12 so I got average for both for all 12 units. I had A*A AABE in Math/FM/Eco/Phy/Politics/Critical thinking for AS. 5A* 1A 2B and 4Dist BTECs. I got predicted A*A*A*B for FM/Eco/Phy and Politics.
I am also doing Further additional maths in a year. But I got really low S1/2 UMS 73 75 respectively and over 90 for all cores normal. I am really scared.

thank you

No offence but those ums averages are quite low. I don't actually know if they ask you for your ums if you've already got the A-level. I'd apply if you really want to go coz its only 1 of your 5.
No offence but those ums averages are quite low. I don't actually know if they ask you for your ums if you've already got the A-level. I'd apply if you really want to go coz its only 1 of your 5.

Ikr! I am really scared! But well yeah it was one of my 5 but people with lower UMS got in before so I might have a chance. But again he doesn't have UMS for FM and A2 Math at the time, so he got predicted A*A*. But he ended up with A*B, but he got an offer for both LSE and UCL, which all requires Maths UMS. Not sure if I got disadvantaged for only getting A in FM with low UMS instead of getting predicted A*.
Or will getting poor GCSE results but 90%+ average through AS Levels bring you through?

I've been in that situation and it did not bring me through. Fwiw.
Reply 13

Hello I'm currently about to start uni at LSE next week after applying last year. The personal statement and A-level predictions are probably the two biggest factors for applying. I had an offer for A*AA and my predicted Alevels were A*AA so you must convince your teacher for each subject to put up your predicted grades if they aren't currently as high as the "standard offer" for your course. Two people applied to LSE from my school (including me). The other was my friend. He did ok at AS but didn't do as well as he could have yet he managed to get his predicted grades to A*AA. Unfortunately he didn't get an offer for Economics at LSE or the other course he applied to and after e-mailing them for feedback they said his personal statement wasn't as good as other candidates. His GCSE's were good about 5A*s and rest A's maybe 1 or 2 Bs yet he didn't get an offer. Since LSE do not usually interview it is really important that you impress them with your personal statement and predicted grades. In the personal statement you must show a passion for your subject etc (get help from the smartest teacher at your school). It would be good to read around your subject I read two books prior to applying so you don't need to read ridiculous amounts. When quoting the stuff you've done always focus on what you learnt from it and what the results were.
GCSE's aren't everything needed to get into LSE but I got 10A*s 2A's at GCSE and that probably helped me if anything.
Good luck with your application :smile:

Not sure if this has been answered or not but no, they don't ask for UMS for Phil & Econ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending