The Student Room Group

Answered :)

Answered :redface: Thanks everyone! :cube:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, welcome!

Unfortunately in order to progress onto the Clinical Psychology doctorate, you must hold an accredited undergraduate degree in Psychology or conversion course. If you were to do a degree in Philosophy, you would also need to do the BPS accredited conversion course which lasts 1 year full-time.

Clinical Psychology is extremely competitive and you will need to gain an assistant psychologist post or other relevant clinical experience after your degree/conversion course to enhance your application, so in real terms it can take a while after your degree to get onto the doctorate. In terms of academic entrance requirements, a 2.1 or above is essential.

Have you considered combined honours courses in Psychology/Philosophy? They might be worth researching; but make sure the degree is accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Couldn't agree more with the above advice - it will you take you a maximum of one year extra to do a conversion course.

Not wanting to be pessimistic, but when applying for DClinPsy positions to competition is fierce and its hard to see why they would chose someone with a conversion course over someone with a straight degree in psychology. In order to get on these courses then, you might need some extra experience - this experience can be very difficult to come by.

Alternatively, are there any other colleges that offer A2 psychology that you could study part time for? Or teach yourself the A-levels? If you speak to someone at your college they might be able help out.

You could also just apply to Exeter and see what happens, just make it clear in your personal statement that you are aware of the scientific nature of psychology - try and back this up somehow.
Original post by Fairy_
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply! :smile: I know there's one at Bristol but an A in A-Level science is needed for that too. It's just that I wanted to stay in the South-East England area but I guess I'll have to choose whether location or Clinical Psychology is more important.

Btw, what is a conversion course?? Would I be able to take one after a degree in Philosophy? Or is that not an option?

Thanks again though, you've made things tons clearer :biggrin: :cube:

I've had a look at Bristol and Exeter's entry requirements and you're right about the science requirement, but it might be worth a phone call to ask if they would consider a science AS-level instead and explain that your college does not offer the full A-level, they might take this into account when having a look at your application. It's well worth a shot!

A conversion course is essentially the important parts of an accredited psychology degree condensed down into a 1 year course, it gets you up to speed if you like with the requirements and allows you to progress onto further training (such as the Clinical Psychology doctorate). It is designed for people who wish to pursue a career in psychology who do not have a psychology degree (this will be suitable for you if you do go on to do a Philosophy degree).

The BPS has a site where you can search for accredited undergraduate degrees as well as conversion courses, so you know that the course you have applied for is acceptable to apply for further training afterwards. Here is the link: http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac :smile: Bristol offers a conversion course, called "MEd in Psychology of Education".
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest