The Student Room Group
Reply 1
A question that has plagued mankind for decades.
-The fact that the Bolsheviks stormed the winter palace and arrested members of the provisional government suggests it was a coup de tait.
Reply 2
It's called a coup d'etat actually. Coup de teet? Coup de tay? that's how you have made it sound. Sorry for being pedantic!
Reply 3
My teacher said that the Bolsheviks were a minority in Russia before the October Revolution - obviously, this implies that it was a coup d'etat. I've just started the topic, so I'm sorry I can't say more! :smile:
Reply 4
this question came up last year in the OCR historiography a2 module....
soviet historians say, course it was a pop rev.lenin was god and he led the thing
western historians say- coup, lenin led the thing, and was evil, DAMN HIM!
revisionists say it was a popular uprising led by the people and the grass roots, which lenin jumped to the head of the bandwaggon of.
Reply 5
It's important not to confuse the February and October revolutions - Lenin was away in Finland in February, but he was in Petrograd in October. Also it's the February revolution which is more often seen as a truly popular uprising - whereas October can be more accurately described as a coup d'etat by the Bolsheviks
Reply 6
This thread has given me an idea. We should have a place where you can discuss historical questions such as, was the October Revolution a coup d'etat or a popular uprising? and other questions. I mean they discuss wheter God exists and science and stuff, so why not history. I think it should be in the academic section because it will help people with revision as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending