The Student Room Group

haunted by my past - want to return and prove to myself i'm capable!

Hi everyone,

Quite a different case here. I studied maths at oxford in the past and due to mental health issues I left after a year. Ever since I have felt somewhat dejected and am left with a feeling that i must prove myself and go back to oxford or cambridge and complete it this time.

I eventually ended up getting an undegrad science degree from a gd london uni and was wondering whether i could and indeed whether i should apply to go to either uni and do an affiliated degree? I read into it a bit and i don't think i'd be able to gain mature entry as i have a degree already, but would i be able to apply for and get in for something like maths or natural sciences? I still love maths and physics and enjoy doing step/MAT questions and occasionally look back at my old uni notes with intrigue. I feel i am a much stronger person mentally now and think i'd be able to cope better with the pressure.

What do you all think? P.S. i'd only do this once i've saved up enough money after working for a while before everyone jumps on the "stop wasting your parents money" bandwagon!

cheers,
Reply 1
What about just doing a master's degree in your science?

As you seem to be interested in this for the challenge, I know admissions isn't the same for undergraduate and graduate, but you did that part already. I'm sure of the many programmes you could pick something that would be just as stimulating as the maths course.
Reply 2
Sorry to hear about the health issues you had before :frown: I really hope you are better :biggrin:

personally I'd say go for it mate, you're obviously very intelligent and willing to have a proper second shot! What's the shame in wanting the best? But make sure you're comfortable with it, don't persuade yourself into doing what you know you're not comfy with. All the best! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Dubstepp
I studied maths at oxford in the past and due to mental health issues I left after a year...I eventually ended up getting an undegrad science degree from a gd london uni and was wondering whether i could and indeed whether i should apply to go to either uni and do an affiliated degree? I read into it a bit and i don't think i'd be able to gain mature entry as i have a degree already

I'm not sure what you mean by 'mature entry' because there is no difference in the application process for mature applicants. See this page for relevant info for my own college:

http://www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/prospective/applying-to-mansfield/graduate-admissions/second-undergraduate-degrees.html

(other colleges are available) :teehee:

If you hold a 2.1, then at most colleges (but not Hertford, New College, and Somerville) you may be eligible to apply for 'Senior Status', which gives exemption from the Prelim Year.

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply guys. It's reassuring to know that there is an option to apply and go back to do a 2nd degree. re: mature/affiliated entry. I said i won't be eligible for 'mature' entry only affiliated at cambridge. I have just read oxford's website and they call it mature entry, not affiliated, so sorry for the confusion.

Really want to prove all my doubters wrong and I still love maths down at heart, and want to pursue it at a higher level.

Do you guys have any advice on what i can do do better my chances? is doing step II and III enough or would mature applicants be expected to do something else and if so what more could I do to show i want this?

thanks everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending