The Student Room Group

Is GCSE Child Development a 'soft' subject?

Scroll to see replies

As long as you take the core subjects you're fine. The most important for medicine are (at GCSE):

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
French/German/MFL (some unis like UCL like to see them)

but yes, child development will not be considered seriously.
Original post by sarahjones95
Not really, especially if you want to go into child medicine! I am doing a-level childcare and i am hoping to do child nursing!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

the 'problem' per se with Child Development at GCSE is that it was often used as a 'filler subject' for female pupils in the 'marginal results' group vs. pushing higher performing pupils to do seperate sciences or all two and a half / three humanities / two MFLs. consequently it is seen as a subject for marginal/lower performing students...
Original post by missxyz
Basically, I'm taking HE child development for my gcse's. The thing is, I want to do medicine when I'm older and I'm wondering if colleges and universities will look down at the gcse.The other subjects I am taking are double maths, biology,chemistry, physics, history,french and r.s, and I am aware that they are relatively academic subjects. Will taking child development affect me in anyway? I'm just worried that it won't be taken as seriously as the other subjects and might taint my chances into going to a good sixth form.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hi! I don't think it is a soft subject. Sure, it might not be as traditional as other subjects, but it depends on what you want to do in the future. If you want to go into child nursing or similar, then it is good for you, but also it helps you keep your options open for the possibility of changing your mind! Lol, 1DIRECTIONER XOX
Reply 23
english? triple is one P!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 24
Well because child development is not an actually gcse it is vocational so it is known as not being academic but as long as you do good in it, taking some acedemic options and u like it or it will help u in the future then your absolutely fine taking it
Got a B so easy
i am choosing my gcse's and i want to do child development can someone tell me if its an easy subject because i am currenctly doing gcse english lan and lit, gcse math, gcse science (double), gcse RE, gcse citizenship and pe core. so can someone tell me if child development is a good subject and if it is easy

Original post by zippyRN
the 'problem' per se with Child Development at GCSE is that it was often used as a 'filler subject' for female pupils in the 'marginal results' group vs. pushing higher performing pupils to do seperate sciences or all two and a half / three humanities / two MFLs. consequently it is seen as a subject for marginal/lower performing students...

I understand this but don't really know what a "filler subject" is

:confused:
Original post by Nashy Girl
I understand this but don't really know what a "filler subject" is

:confused:

seen as easier / less critical if you don't get C or above

compared to e.g. seperate sciences / seperate humanities / 2nd MFL ...
Has anyone done GCSE child development before so I have a rough idea of what it consists of and what subjects are related with it. Thank you
It is a soft subject and not particularly looked up on by universities, in my point of view it's a waste of a gcse option when you can take one much more influential, but as long as you get the top grades, it will slot in with your other GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending