The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They would be the same if gas exchange was allowed to equilibriate, i.e. if the person's circulatory and respiratory system's shut down, preventing the constant concentration gradient that is usually maintained by ventilation and perfusion of the lungs

/edit: of course that would probably not be entirely true due to the binding capacity of haemoglobin - but i am not entirely certain
Reply 2
j00ni
They would be the same if gas exchange was allowed to equilibriate, i.e. if the person's circulatory and respiratory system's shut down, preventing the constant concentration gradient that is usually maintained by ventilation and perfusion of the lungs

/edit: of course that would probably not be entirely true due to the binding capacity of haemoglobin - but i am not entirely certain

Cheers - that makes sense!
Reply 3
j00ni

If I remember correctly, haemoglobin is 98% saturated at a PO2 of 100mmHg. Since this is less than the PO2 at sea level, I should think it would be able to equilibriate - providing that there is sufficient haemoglobin present.

Latest

Trending

Trending